Jordan Westburg 2021

UMDTerrapins

.665 OPS with a .176 BA. SSS. His BABIP in Bowie is only .213 compared to .372 in Aberdeen and .500 in Delmarva. His ISO and BB% are both higher in Bowie than in Aberdeen. 

Stats tell part of the story, but I think the real question is how does he consistently adjust to the High Velo FB inside. Could be something to work on the rest of the season and hopefully the AFL. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

.665 OPS with a .176 BA. SSS. His BABIP in Bowie is only .213 compared to .372 in Aberdeen and .500 in Delmarva. His ISO and BB% are both higher in Bowie than in Aberdeen. 

Stats tell part of the story, but I think the real question is how does he consistently adjust to the High Velo FB inside. Could be something to work on the rest of the season and hopefully the AFL. 

I'm encouraged by those peripherals. Probably a combination of bad luck and adjusting to a new level, but there are plenty of signs that Westburg is a quality hitter, especially given his performance in the lower levels. Looking forward to him having another nice season in 2022.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

A 2 for 4 day for Westburg, BA to .222 and OPS to .729.    

I think he’s a clear candidate to go to thr AFL and get another 75 PA. Plus any additional playoff games. If the inside fastball is addressed then I see no reason why he can’t start in Norfolk next year. He’s been pushed three levels next year. That shows he’s mentally tough. I think he’s real close from being our SS of the future. 

Impressive finish to the season.   I think he returns to Bowie but you good certainly make the aggressive push up to Norfolk next year.   It's probably either he or Grenier and there's little doubt 1) who is the better prospect 2) who is more likely to do better in AAA.    The only reason Grenier would get the nod to Norfolk before Westburg is because of age, AA AB's, and what they want to do with Westburg.    The decision won't be made on what's best for Grenier but what's best for Westburg.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Impressive finish to the season.   I think he returns to Bowie but you good certainly make the aggressive push up to Norfolk next year.   It's probably either he or Grenier and there's little doubt 1) who is the better prospect 2) who is more likely to do better in AAA.    The only reason Grenier would get the nod to Norfolk before Westburg is because of age, AA AB's, and what they want to do with Westburg.    The decision won't be made on what's best for Grenier but what's best for Westburg.

I think with only 130 AA plate appearances, they will return him to Bowie for a couple of months.    Great finish for him, though.   I’m hoping he’ll stay hot for the upcoming playoff series.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think with only 130 AA plate appearances, they will return him to Bowie for a couple of months.    Great finish for him, though.   I’m hoping he’ll stay hot for the upcoming playoff series.  

But what if you factor in 50-100 PA in the AFL?  Players get pushed when they are top prospects. Maybe I’m being aggressive, but I’d have him up after June 1 next year in the MLB. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But what if you factor in 50-100 PA in the AFL?  Players get pushed when they are top prospects. Maybe I’m being aggressive, but I’d have him up after June 1 next year in the MLB. 

You are assuming they’ll send him to the AFL.   Personally I’m not sure of that at all.   We’ll see in a few weeks, I guess.   

I tend to be the opposite of you.   I like the guys to get a couple hundred PA at every level before moving up.   And it’s not like Westburg dominated AA.   He finished strong and ended at .752 OPS.  

I do think that if he went to the AFL and hit well there, they’d consider starting him at Norfolk next year.