Is this team bad enough for the number 1 pick?

Greenpastures23

4 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

1*v1aN_ZVjHKhldowpkl4EUw.jpeg

Ah, there had to be somebody. Even Nunez in 2019 with 31 HR had a 0.5 WAR in 599 PA.

Edit: Actually Kingman had a decent year the only year ('79) he hit 40 (48). You must be thinking of '82, when he hit .204, 37 HR, 0.1 WAR.

14 hours ago, DocJJ said:

We need the #1 pick.  Tank for Greene!!!   

Greene is a once in a generation talent.

Didn't you say prior to last year that the O's absolutely had to tank for Rocker because he was a once-in-a-generation talent?

These once-in-a-generation talents sure do seem to come around often.  I remember when we were supposed to tank for Pedro Alvarez as well.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Didn't you say prior to last year that the O's absolutely had to tank for Rocker because he was a once-in-a-generation talent?

These once-in-a-generation talents sure do seem to come around often.  I remember when we were supposed to tank for Pedro Alvarez as well.  

We did tank for Rocker!  He might be there when we pick!   

Greene is definitely a unique talent and there has been talk from the Twins and Tigers that he might be good enough to intentionally lose for...

Last year we had a good stretch over 60 but really tailed off in the later part of the year.  I think we're built well enough over 60, but the cracks start showing and the bullpen gets abused and it really seems to show (this is general feeling, not pulling out stats). 

IDK about 1, because I don't watch the other teams, but I don't have a good feeling currently about being in a lot of games.

I think the Orioles would need to trade Means and Mancini to seriously compete for 1-1, and I don't think they will. I think trading Means would be a mistake because of how taxed the rest of the rotation and the bullpen already is, and I don't think they will take the PR hit of trading Mancini, considering that I doubt they would get difference makers in return.

The Orioles are still better than Pittsburgh and Detroit to me, and the run differential backs that up. Colorado is also quite bad and if they trade Trevor Story, which they should, they could be competitive for 1-1 as well, although they play in the same division as Arizona, who have come on strong as the only team as bad as the O's over the last ten games.

My current power rankings of the worst teams is Pittsburgh, Detroit, Colorado, Baltimore and Arizona.

• Upvote 2

On 5/22/2021 at 9:19 PM, LocoChris said:

Probably not. They’re horrendous right now but it’s a long season. 

You're never as bad as you are when you're going bad. Never as good as you are when you're rolling.

Always trends back towards the mean.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

We did tank for Adley. He might be ok...

21 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think the Orioles would need to trade Means and Mancini to seriously compete for 1-1, and I don't think they will. I think trading Means would be a mistake because of how taxed the rest of the rotation and the bullpen already is, and I don't think they will take the PR hit of trading Mancini, considering that I doubt they would get difference makers in return.

The Orioles are still better than Pittsburgh and Detroit to me, and the run differential backs that up. Colorado is also quite bad and if they trade Trevor Story, which they should, they could be competitive for 1-1 as well, although they play in the same division as Arizona, who have come on strong as the only team as bad as the O's over the last ten games.

My current power rankings of the worst teams is Pittsburgh, Detroit, Colorado, Minnesota, Baltimore and Arizona.

I'd just as soon keep Mancini anyways. He's a very solid player and leader. Steadying influence. "Captain" even..

31 minutes ago, scOtt said:

We did tank for Adley. He might be ok...

I wouldn't say we tanked for Adley.  We tanked for a high pick and ended up getting #1.  But I remember the season before the idea was to tank for Bobby Witt Jr.  And the book hasn't even started for Adley yet either.

I'm just saying, these "once-in-a-generation" type proclamations are over the top.  Since I've been following MLB I can only remember 2 that really fit that description as prospects - Ken Griffey Jr. and Bryce Harper.  Alex Rodriguez was close and certainly ended up fulfilling the promise and of course there were others that ended up having HOF careers also.

And I'm not saying Elijah Green won't be a great player, just...pump the brakes on some this stuff.

46 minutes ago, scOtt said:

You're never as bad as you are when you're going bad. Never as good as you are when you're rolling.

Always trends back towards the mean.

Exactly.   We were 15-16, and we probably weren't that good.   Since then we are 2-13, and we are certainly not that bad.

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I wouldn't say we tanked for Adley.  We tanked for a high pick and ended up getting #1.  

We didn’t tank at all.   We went into 2018 trying to contend, and won 47 games.   It wasn’t intentional, except for the July 2018 sell-off when we were already playing .300ish baseball four months into the season.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We didn’t tank at all.   We went into 2018 trying to contend, and won 47 games.   It wasn’t intentional, except for the July 2018 sell-off when we were already playing .300ish baseball four months into the season.

That's what made 2018 all that much worse for me as a fan. It might have been a half-assed effort, but the Orioles were trying to compete at the start of 2018. Seeing a bunch of veteran players sleep walking through loss after loss made for painful baseball, but on the other hand gave me a lot more free time. 

2018 was the last gasp of the Buck and DD era of Orioles baseball. And the only good thing I can say about 2018 was the team was so bad, it became obvious even to ownership that major changes were needed on how the Orioles operated as a franchise from top to bottom.