Hyde can’t manage this team

Explosivo

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

He actually can affect the game in that instance. Managers are supposed to utilize moments in games and situations in games to teach players on what they are supposed to do in those moments. That’s how managers can affect the game. It’s not just on who to throw and when or what lineup to use against a specific pitcher. It’s supposed to also be about their knowledge base of the game as they have been around it for much, much longer than anyone else on the team. That’s their role. Did you see that affecting the game or did the manager just let a kid who still calls himself Stevie do whatever he wanted in that situation? Is this another Hayes decided to bunt on his own and after the fact Hyde gets all butt hurt? A manager is supposed to make decisions that affect the game before they happen, not play armchair quarterback like us fans. 

Explosivo, I appreciate your earnestness, but this ain't little league.  Players should understand the game at the MLB level. Managers shouldn't have to signal, "hey, take one here, Stevie." Wilkerson is a long-time player. I didn't see the pitch/AB in question, but the amount of interest in the decision is ridiculous given the Os' record and recent history for futility, AND it's relative outcome on the final core.  Sooner or later, it's on the players, and Hyde is left shaking his head... But thanks for trying to teach me how things work.

23 minutes ago, jjnono said:

Explosivo, I appreciate your earnestness, but this ain't little league.  Players should understand the game at the MLB level. Managers shouldn't have to signal, "hey, take one here, Stevie." Wilkerson is a long-time player. I didn't see the pitch/AB in question, but the amount of interest in the decision is ridiculous given the Os' record and recent history for futility, AND it's relative outcome on the final core.  Sooner or later, it's on the players, and Hyde is left shaking his head... But thanks for trying to teach me how things work.

He’s only been in the league for a cup of coffee. Teams are an extension of the manager’s intention met with the players’ ability. How they play is a reflection of the manager. Why do you think they have signs in baseball? You don’t understand and that’s fine. I agree that he shouldn’t have to signal that and for a player like Mancini you’re right. For a kid who’s never been in the majors for more than a couple of weeks, you have the foresight to remind the lad. 

Edited by Explosivo
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

He’s only been in the league for a cup of coffee. Teams are an extension of the manager’s intention met with the players’ ability. How they play is a reflection of the manager. Why do you think they have signs in baseball? You don’t understand and that’s fine. I agree that he shouldn’t have to signal that and for a player like Mancini you’re right. For a kid who’s never been in the majors for more than a couple of weeks, you have the foresight to remind the lad. 

Doesn't Hyde's contract run out after this year and there's an option to pick it up or not for 2022? As of right now, in my opinion, it shouldn't be pick up for another year. I really hope this is his final year. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Beysbol said:

Doesn't Hyde's contract run out after this year and there's an option to pick it up or not for 2022? As of right now, in my opinion, it shouldn't be pick up for another year. I really hope this is his final year. 

10 hours ago, Beysbol said:

As bad as the team has been it's quite unlikely Hyde will be retained, unless there is a miraculous turn around for the rest of the season.    Hopefully they have someone else in mind who is a good manager and who wants the job. .  I didn't like it when they courted Joe Girardi then he turned the job down at the last minute, made the Orioles look foolish.  (I still don't like Girardi because of that and I hope he fails with the Phillies)

I’m available. I’ll take the job for a year and ensure another last place and first round, first selection pick. I can also guarantee the pressers will be lively and fun. I’m not sure who would be a good selection once we turn stuff around.

31 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Rick Dempsey should manage this club. I think he would bring great life to the club and renew the former winning ways and culture.

That is the worse choice that could be made.  There is a reason Rick Dempsey is not coaching anywhere.  Did you ever hear the things he said on the post game shows over the years?

8 minutes ago, accinfo said:

That is the worse choice that could be made.  There is a reason Rick Dempsey is not coaching anywhere.  Did you ever hear the things he said on the post game shows over the years?

No. What did he say? Is this because of one joke about domestic violence that he apologized for?

I like this comment better: “Baseball is a funny thing. I’ve been fortunate to be able to stay in Baltimore and with this organization,” Dempsey said. “I’ve had a lot of different roles – maybe not the one I really coveted the most, [which] was to manage the Orioles some day. But that just didn’t work out. You don’t always get every single thing that you want in life, and you’ve got to make adjustments. This is just another adjustment that I’m going to have to make, but I am not giving up on the Orioles and I refuse to give up on Baltimore.” 

He clearly would say yes, wants the job and as a former catcher would offer a lot of advice for the players going forward.

Edited by Explosivo

22 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

No. What did he say? Is this because of one joke about domestic violence that he apologized for?

I like this comment better: “Baseball is a funny thing. I’ve been fortunate to be able to stay in Baltimore and with this organization,” Dempsey said. “I’ve had a lot of different roles – maybe not the one I really coveted the most, [which] was to manage the Orioles some day. But that just didn’t work out. You don’t always get every single thing that you want in life, and you’ve got to make adjustments. This is just another adjustment that I’m going to have to make, but I am not giving up on the Orioles and I refuse to give up on Baltimore.” 

He clearly would say yes, wants the job and as a former catcher would offer a lot of advice for the players going forward.

We can't even get through a season around here without a Dempsey should be manager post.

I'm new around here so I wasn't aware this was a yearly made comment. That being said, I'm struggling with thinking of someone who would want to take command that has a connection to Baltimore. Just spitballing is all. How about J.J. Hardy? Hell, I don't know.

5 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I'm new around here so I wasn't aware this was a yearly made comment. That being said, I'm struggling with thinking of someone who would want to take command that has a connection to Baltimore. Just spitballing is all. How about J.J. Hardy? Hell, I don't know.

Why should that be a factor?

Get talented folks.

Also, if you do want someone that has a connection to Baltimore, give Caleb Joseph a ring.

I'm sure you could buy him out of his minor league deal with the Mariners.

Edited by Can_of_corn

Just now, Explosivo said:

Because they have more of a chance of saying yes I suppose. Ok, let's come up with a short list of possible replacements then.

I super don't care who the manager is, I mean aside from not wanting someone who is a habitual drunk driver of course, until the team has enough talent to win.

See if Bedard wants the gig, would make for great post game press conferences.

For the record, I am not much of a fan of Brandon Hyde and can't think of a time when I thought he won a game for us.  I just think he is a placeholder, the Stevie Wilkerson or Maikel Franco of management.

That said, Dempsey is the last place I would go.  That's been my feeling for decades.  Now that he turns 72, I think it's best for everyone if he hangs up the metallic gray suit and calls it a day.  Can you imagine how sick the players would get of hearing about the '83 Series?