Freddy Galvis, advanced metrics, and the eye test

Frobby

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Freddy Galvis has started 43 games for us at SS this year.   He’s made only 3 errors, but for the most part, the defensive metrics hate him: -4 Rtot, -6 Rdrs, -4 OAA.   The outlier defensive metric is UZR, which has him at +1.1.

So what is the eye test telling you?  Mine says that while he’s probably lost a step in range, he’s otherwise very solid.   He generally makes the plays he should make and turns in his share of the difficult plays as well.     I’ve seen him make a number of throws from awkward angles and he’s turned some nifty DPs and made a few really good relay throws too.

Overall, to me Galvis has been a bargain and a solid contributor both offensively and defensively.

I agree with your observations. Also not sure I would compare him to Hardy at his best, and really a very different defender than JJ. Galvis has been a pleasant surprise. Dependable and productive. 

14 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Belanger won GG's every year through his 29 to age 34 season so your memory is right. But doing what Belanger did in his 30's isnt normal and kind of defies the laws of physics. I would love to see some video of him someday. 

Belanger was great, but once you won 3-4 in a row you were almost guaranteed to keep winning them until you missed half the year with injury or it was a year or two after you got obviously worse.  I'm convinced Jim Kaat won 16 gold gloves because the voters didn't have a clue as to who else should win.  They voted for Kaat the year he fielded .826.

It actually looks like Belanger's GGs tracked pretty well to his performance based on retroactive runs saved numbers.  Except his first full year when he was a +27 shortstop, but the GG went to Jim Fregosi (+2) because he hit .290.  Also 1970 when they gave it to 36-year-old Luis Aparicio (+0) over a +9 Belanger.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

I had a smile at somebody in a Fangraphs comment thread's observation the other day he's basically playing even with the Correa/Seager/Baez/Story batch so far this year.   Some fine $$$/WAR outcomes there.    

He's out-WARring Lindor too!