Amazing Video on pitchers cheating in MLB

Tony-OH

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I watched this video and was pretty amazed at how often pitchers are clearly cheating in the MLB.

Watch this. What are your thoughts?

I watched this over the weekend and wasn’t aware at the scope of the cheating. I assumed some players are cheating, but I wasn’t tuned into the degree of pitchers cheating.

MLB has to have known this was going on, and I don’t see how they can’t allow a grace period to give pitchers a chance to stop using foreign substances on the ball before doling out punishments. 

Bleacher Report article from 2018.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2776159-absolutely-im-all-for-it-mlbs-stars-debate-pitchers-using-pine-tar

"Why is he getting penalized when we know that 90 percent of guys are probably using it, anyways?" asks Nationals catcher Matt Wieters, a teammate of Matusz's in 2015 and now in his 10th season as an MLB catcher.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That everyone knew this was going on.

Buck defended the practice.

If you actually watched the video instead of dropping your typical snarky comment, you would have seen how much it has increased spin rates since 2018. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

If you actually watched the video instead of dropping your typical snarky comment, you would have seen how much it has increased spin rates since 2018. 

I watched the video when it was posted here days ago.

It's the same crap it always is with MLB.  It's fine to cheat, but don't cheat too much.

Just like steroids and stealing signs.

Cheating is quaint as long as you don't get too much of an advantage out of it.

Pine tar is fine, even thought it isn't.

Bullfrog and Rosin is fine, even though it isn't.

Spider Tack...well that's not fine.

Time for MLB to draw another arbitrary line.

I was in favor of enforcing this rule YEARS AGO.  Or course it's an unfair advantage to pitchers.

You could clearly see guys messing with their gloves/hats/whatever more in recent seasons, including Means.  Explains some things like higher spin rates, K rates, more no hitters, etc.  MLB has serious problems enforcing rules and I'm tired of it.  I didn't like the juiced hitters, hated the sign stealing, and this is just as blatant and egregious.  Stupid league is stupid.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

You could clearly see guys messing with their gloves/hats/whatever more in recent seasons, including Means.  Explains some things like higher spin rates, K rates, more no hitters, etc.  MLB has serious problems enforcing rules and I'm tired of it.  I didn't like the juiced hitters, hated the sign stealing, and this is just as blatant and egregious.  Stupid league is stupid.

Pitchers also used steroids.

Just now, Ripken said:

Yes, they did.  Clemens and a lot of others.  Just referring to the focus on Mac, Sosa, Bonds and the other guys constantly hitting bombs.

So you didn't dislike the pitchers cheating?  Just the hitters hitting home runs?  So you were OK with Dee Gordon using steroids since he didn't hit home runs?

CoC is right..MLB only cares about this stuff when they decide to care.  They are a bunch of hypocrites.

Right now, you have a bunch of no hitters, offense is down and that hurts viewership since people want offense.  So, all of a sudden, it’s frowned upon.

Dont get me wrong, get it out of the game if you want but don’t act like it’s some big deal when you know it’s happening and decide to turn the other cheek.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

They should come out and say we want it out of the game and are going to police it. No one faces any suspension or anything like that for now.  Anyone caught with it starting now misses time.  

They should get the PA to join in.  I don't think acting unilaterally would be a great idea at this juncture.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I watched the video when it was posted here days ago.

It's the same crap it always is with MLB.  It's fine to cheat, but don't cheat too much.

Just like steroids and stealing signs.

Cheating is quaint as long as you don't get too much of an advantage out of it.

Pine tar is fine, even thought it isn't.

Bullfrog and Rosin is fine, even though it isn't.

Spider Tack...well that's not fine.

Time for MLB to draw another arbitrary line.

I was in favor of enforcing this rule YEARS AGO.  Or course it's an unfair advantage to pitchers.

You have a really unrealistic view of rule enforcement.    It’s not arbitrary to change enforcement policies when on the field results dictate it.   The cops don’t pull over every car that goes 56 mph on a 55 mph highway, but when enough people start going 80 mph, they start pulling over the worst offenders.

Baseball execs are concerned with the overall appeal of their game.   When the use of tacky substances gets to the point where the games are less fun to watch, they put their foot down.   Makes sense to me.   

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You have a really unrealistic view of rule enforcement.    It’s not arbitrary to change enforcement policies when on the field results dictate it.   The cops don’t pull over every car that goes 56 mph on a 55 mph highway, but when enough people start going 80 mph, they start pulling over the worst offenders.

Baseball execs are concerned with the overall appeal of their game.   When the use of tacky substances gets to the point where the games are less fun to watch, they put their foot down.   Makes sense to me.   

What did the baseball execs think would happen?  It doesn’t take a genius to figure out where things would end up.