Kyle Stowers 2021

Frobby

In college he played both RF and CF, and he was graded as having a plus arm.  I’ve only seen him play once but he looked very solid to me in that game.  

Edit — I did notice that Tony described his arm as “relatively weak” in his 2020 prospect list, though it was graded 50 on the 2019 list.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

The most powerful hitter on the team, arguably, batting lead off.  3 singles and a walk, no strikeouts.  I wonder if there's a method to the madness or just one of those fluky things.

Fluky would be batting him 9th. Its obvious the O's want to get a good look at Stowers, Grenier and AR. Add Vavra and Ortiz when they weren't on the DL

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

The most powerful hitter on the team, arguably, batting lead off.  3 singles and a walk, no strikeouts.  I wonder if there's a method to the madness or just one of those fluky things.

I think the overarching goal of the minor league system is to develop players rather than a sole focus on winning games.

Even with that in mind, I don't see anything wrong with batting Stowers leadoff. Sure he gets more AB's and that's important. But it's not unusual to see a power guy hitting leadoff these days. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I know you love being snarky, but considering he missed an entire season last year like everyone else and is now doing well in AA in his first full season in the minor leagues and yes, I would consider him a fast mover.

No, I don't even like being snarky even a little bit.  

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

Bowie June - 154/290/308

Bowie July - 344/442/656

My guess is Frobby may have an easy time with the Player of the Month prediction this go round.

Nope, it’s not easy.   Three way race between Stowers, Neustrom and Westburg, all of whom have an OPS over 1.000 this month.   Will post about it tomorrow after we see what happens tonight.   Stowers has the OPS lead but we’ll see what happens today, and there are some other factors to consider.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2021 at 6:15 PM, 7Mo said:

I think the overarching goal of the minor league system is to develop players rather than a sole focus on winning games.

Even with that in mind, I don't see anything wrong with batting Stowers leadoff. Sure he gets more AB's and that's important. But it's not unusual to see a power guy hitting leadoff these days. 

Somebody is gonna have to hit leadoff in front of Rutschmans. If he has a high OBP might as well be Stowers. Nothing wrong with some extra bombs coming in that spot.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Somebody is gonna have to hit leadoff in front of Rutschmans. If he has a high OBP might as well be Stowers. Nothing wrong with some extra bombs coming in that spot.

The Bowie OBP is .410 right now. 

If there are no serious bumps in development I could see Neustrom and Stowers both manning the corners with Cedric in CF by the 2nd half of next year.    I suspect Neustrom and Stowers both start next year in Norfolk with Hays and Santander on the corners.    Hays and Santander get 2-3 months to either hold onto their jobs or increase trade value.  

• 4 weeks later...