Sisco DFA’ed

Legend_Of_Joey

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Wander Franco is putting up a .995 OPS in AAA right now.  It will be interesting to see if he is good enough to "earn" a promotion to the majors this year.  Especially if the Rays are in a pennant race in September. 

I don't know that 12/18 BB/K ratio looks a bit suspect.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Put it this way: Sisco was the 61st pick in the draft.   Of the 56 players picked in that spot, only six have had more at bats in the majors than Sisco.   One of those was Josh Bell, who for some reason slipped to 61st but received a $5 mm bonus to sign.    

So, I’d call Sisco a disappointment but not a bust.   

And the reason he is a disappointment is because he had so much success to start his career the  minors.  He won the Sally league batting title (.340/.406/.448) when he was 19.  Then, he hit .320/.406/.422 at Bowie in 2016.  He even put up a .292/.388/.530 slash line in about 200 AAA plate appearances in 2019.  To have that type of track record in the minors and not hit at all in the show is a big disappointment.    With that said, Sisco could not handle Major League heat, and concerns about his ability to hit the fastball were voiced on this message board more than once.  And if you can’t hit the fastball, you can’t hit.

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is what I'm reading

The article appears to be supporting the idea that top guys are held back.  You can't just go by numbers and dates since fringe roster guys might be called up at any time.  You call up a fringe bullpen arm up in June it isn't becuase you were gaming his service clock, it's because your starter got knocked out of the game in the second inning in yesterday's game.

Chavis was about as fringy as Mountcastle. Then there were 34 guys outside the top 100 plus some of those 10 in the top 100 were probably not elite.

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

Are there other recent examples of teams succeeding with an extreme Houston-style rebuild? Or it just the Astros, their hallway TV monitor and their trash can?

Not a loaded or rhetorical question. I really don't know.  :confused:

Padres a few years back.  

I’m only two pages in but arbitration as an excuse is just Roch’s sycophancy. He can’t admit that Sisco sucked. His departure is way past due. He’s got money, healthcare and pension: send him in his way.

But please send Severino as well. Bring up Maverick or Cumberland or one of the bullpen catchers or whomever

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Padres signed Hosmer to a big deal in 2018 and Machado in 2019.

They also didn't do that thing I complain about all the time with Tatis.

They had one of the worst farm systems in baseball a couple years 2014 30th 2015 28th 2016 23rd.  They then  gutted their team dropped payroll down to 28th, 24th and 21st and moved their farm system to 5th in 2017 and have been top 5 past few years. They added Hosmer and Machado when they had their young talent up in the major league level ready to compete.  The Orioles have not gotten to that point and they may or may not add to payroll with key guys to go along with their young talent.  They also used their excess young talent in trades this offseason to get Darvish and Snell.  The Astros did the same type rebuild then used their loaded farm to get the other pieces like Verlander and Grienke.  They didn’t lose as much as the Astros in the down years partly because the played in the weak NL west but their plans were very similar.  

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Put it this way: Sisco was the 61st pick in the draft.   Of the 56 players picked in that spot, only six have had more at bats in the majors than Sisco.   One of those was Josh Bell, who for some reason slipped to 61st but received a $5 mm bonus to sign.    

So, I’d call Sisco a disappointment but not a bust.   

I don’t see how a career WAR of just about zero can be anything but a bust. It just means he kept getting opportunities that he didn’t earn that he wasted. A very long opportunity doesn’t make a player less of a failure when the team finally gives up.

5 hours ago, oriole said:

I’m more surprised of the addition of Thomas Eschelman for the start than I am the DFA of Sisco. Moves like this make me reconsider getting myself invested in following baseball. Eschelman has a 6+ ERA and will completely bomb up here and everyone knows it meanwhile there are other options in the organization who worked hard and have gotten positive results and are being passed over all so that the ML team stays as uncompetitive as possible. It’s one thing to rebuild and intentionally tank in theory but when it’s so obvious that losing is the actual goal and moves are made with the explicit intention of losing it’s just bleh...doesn’t feel good as a fan. It’ll be cool when they’re winning again but this is type of crap is bad for baseball.

Amen.

Just now, bpilktree said:

They had one of the worst farm systems in baseball a couple years 2014 30th 2015 28th 2016 23rd.  They then  gutted their team dropped payroll down to 28th, 24th and 21st and moved their farm system to 5th in 2017 and have been top 5 past few years. They added Hosmer and Machado when they had their young talent up in the major league level ready to compete.  The Orioles have not gotten to that point and they may or may not add to payroll with key guys to go along with their young talent.  They also used their excess young talent in trades this offseason to get Darvish and Snell.  The Astros did the same type rebuild then used their loaded farm to get the other pieces like Verlander and Grienke.  They didn’t lose as much as the Astros in the down years partly because the played in the weak NL west but their plans were very similar.  

They did not add Hosmer when their talent was ready to compete.

That's nonsense.  The 2018 team lost 96 games, the 2019 team lost 92.

They most certainly did sign Hosmer to an eight year deal well before they thought they would be competitive.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is what I'm reading

The article appears to be supporting the idea that top guys are held back.  You can't just go by numbers and dates since fringe roster guys might be called up at any time.  You call up a fringe bullpen arm up in June it isn't becuase you were gaming his service clock, it's because your starter got knocked out of the game in the second inning in yesterday's game.

Is it possible for us to have one conversation on here without you getting on your soap box about service clock games?

WE ALL GET YOUR OPINION ON THIS SUBJECT!

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They did not add Hosmer when their talent was ready to compete.

That's nonsense.  The 2018 team lost 96 games, the 2019 team lost 92.

They most certainly did sign Hosmer to an eight year deal well before they thought they would be competitive.

I thought the Hosmer signing was worse than the Davis signing when it was signed.  Who wants to lock up a 1B man w/ 20 HR power?  Hosmer has aged better than Davis, though. 

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I thought the Hosmer signing was worse than the Davis signing when it was signed.  Who wants to lock up a 1B man w/ 20 HR power?  Hosmer has aged better than Davis, though. 

I didn't like the move either but if it was a good move or not isn't the point.