Tuesday, June 22: Orioles vs Astros

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Which would be why they used a first round pick on Grenier?

Mountcastle was a HS shortstop.  He moves pretty well.  How could anyone other than you predict he would have difficulty moving to the outfield back when he was drafted?

I still think Mountcastle could battle Left Filed to a draw with more experience.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Yeah what is the point of having good plate discipline whent why are going to call that shit strike 3?

This why I ultimately favor robo-umps for calling ball and strikes because at least then you get a consistent strike zone. Of course knowing MLB, they will alter the algorithm for what constitutes a strike against a Yankees hitter compared to an Orioles hitter. 

6 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Nolan had a strong arm. Yet he was wild with his throws. 

MC Never had the Tools for SS. He’s fast but that speed doesn’t translate into effective OF defense, and his throwing arm isn’t good. And has been pointed out by Tony and others his outfield instincts aren’t good.
I’m not in love with DJ at all, but at the moment he’s a far better outfielder than MC, and I’m not ready to give up on him yet.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

MC Never had the Tools for SS. He’s fast but that speed doesn’t translate into effective OF defense, and his throwing arm isn’t good. And has been pointed out by Tony and others his outfield instincts aren’t good.
I’m not in love with DJ at all, but at the moment he’s a far better outfielder than MC, and I’m not ready to give up on him yet.

I can't understand the obsession that a lifelong outfielder who trips over his own feet and can NEVER settle under a flyball -- drifting under pop flies indicates the outfielder can not judge trajectory -- is "superior" to an athletic rookie who is newcomer to the position, just now is being thrown out there for his first outfield experience. Stewart's inept defense can not be called "superior" to anything, regardless of what metrics you reference; he is objectively and subjectively awful and will only get worse as he ages despite having played on the grass for his entire life. 

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

Why does speed translate for nearly every single MLB outfielder but it can't translate for MC if he gets more reps in the field? I think it is likely his running speed is a good reason to expect improvement from him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

I can't understand the obsession that a lifelong outfielder who trips over his own feet and can NEVER settle under a flyball -- drifting under pop flies indicates the outfielder can not judge trajectory -- is "superior" to an athletic rookie who is newcomer to the position, just now is being thrown out there for his first outfield experience. Stewart's inept defense can not be called "superior" to anything, regardless of what metrics you reference; he is objectively and subjectively awful and will only get worse as he ages despite having played on the grass for his entire life. 

Tell us what you really think! ?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

We’ve had this Conversation before, and I agree, he frequently looks awful, and at 27, he’s only got a couple more years before decline sets in anyway. I don’t know how baseball savant makes their calculations, but Stewart isn’t as bad as you think, and MC is terrible. At the moment, MC should be settling in at 1B and DH, and put the OF behind him, and Stewart I guess is in the OF by default.

Galvis is terrible too, by the way, even though he looks ok at times.

20 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Why does speed translate for nearly every single MLB outfielder but it can't translate for MC if he gets more reps in the field? I think it is likely his running speed is a good reason to expect improvement from him.

I don’t know whether speed translates for every outfielder, and didn’t suggest that it does. But it certainly doesn’t for MC. Being fast isn’t as important as being quick, reading the ball, and running good routes. Speed will help if you do those other things well, but otherwise, you’ll just be running quickly to the wrong place and covering too much ground while getting there.

if he could get to the ball and catch the ball, he’d be fine. After all, Mullins doesn’t have a strong arm, and he's great.