Negative production, no depth

eddie83

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think Elias/Hyde have proven they can go long periods with poor performance  from position players and pitchers.  

It’s one thing in 2019 to go stretches without a CF. It’s another 2 years later to be doing the same thing. The pitching is bad enough to watch.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's had 240 games at second in the minors.

I don't think he's ever going to play an adequate major league 2B.

Give Leyba the majority of starts at 2B and Jones in LF with the occasional start at 2B.  Keep coaching him up at the position to see if there's a chance he can be adequate on the dirt.  

1 minute ago, vab said:

You guys know they're tanking, right? You know they're not really trying to win. You don't think any GM could put in effort to put the best team on the field and come up with this, do you? 

Yes, and that's fine.  But they can throw the fans some bones and hope for the future at the same time as tanking by playing some younger guys from AAA and giving starts to Lowther, etc..

15 minutes ago, vab said:

You guys know they're tanking, right? You know they're not really trying to win. You don't think any GM could put in effort to put the best team on the field and come up with this, do you? 

Not trying to win and being beyond brutal are 2 different things. When die hard fans stop watching it says a lot. 

12 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Yes, and that's fine.  But they can throw the fans some bones and hope for the future at the same time as tanking by playing some younger guys from AAA and giving starts to Lowther, etc..

They will eventually. Not having a MiL season last year was not weighed heavily enough by Elias, rebuild or not. A normal year last year at a minimum you get another year to judge the young arms. Collectively they aren’t ready. 

24 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

That team quit. Nobody will convince me otherwise. Started out poorly and knew they were done. 

I will probably always have a special little bit of bile for Alex Cobb/Roger Dorn, and his delicate fingers' inability to pitch with a baseball.

Brady/Buck/whoever tried to course correct from worse Ubaldo/Gallardo type things to augment last Machado team with a better player.

I feel like the Players Union ethos about taking the best contract, etc. somewhat twisted his arm to accept Brady $$$.

There's no lethargy like the lethargy when a one last ride group busts early.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's had 240 games at second in the minors.

I don't think he's ever going to play an adequate major league 2B.

Right.  And I am fine with that as long as he can play decent in LF and hit well.  If the O's get overloaded with outfielders that is what trades are for.

1 hour ago, vab said:

There is a huge difference between “not trying to win” trying to lose.” This whole post is about the things we could do to play more watchable Baseball without interrupting the teams progress. It seems that seven of the nine guys on our team are below replacement level, how about replacing them with exactly replacement level? Or with different guys who will be below replacement level? Or guys who might be better but aren’t long-term solutions? Those are all possibilities none of them would interfere with the master plan and all of them would help the team.

40 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Different management group, but don't let that fact get in the way of your agenda.

Wasn't the point I was making.  I just picked the first really bad team that had been built as contender that came to mind.

Had nothing to do with Dan or Mike.  I could have just as easily picked some of the recent last place Red Sox teams, point would be the same.