Connolly: Trade Deadline thoughts

Sports Guy

On 7/5/2021 at 9:14 PM, orioles22 said:

I love this.

It seems like everyone is in such a hurry to trade away our best players to save the Orioles more money they won't spend.

I never understood why we couldn't keep Schoop to help during the rebuild, and I don't like the idea of trading Means or Mullins. I wouldn't mind moving Santander, but I guess that's because I don't expect him to repeat what he did last season.

Sell the team if you can't afford to compete.

Oh they are def selling, just timing. Peter just had his 91st birthday I believe.

12 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Oh they are def selling, just timing. Peter just had his 91st birthday I believe.

I'm hoping the kids hold onto the team long enough until Pete passes on and then put it up for sale the following week.

There's no guarantee that a new ownership will be better than this, but you can hope.

• Upvote 1

On 7/6/2021 at 9:53 AM, Sports Guy said:

Well, the organization has never fully embraced building a real organization until now, at least in the minors, internationally, etc…

They now have to show they can build a winner up here. 

Even with Elias where do we rank in international spending?  I bet we’re still in the bottom 5. That’s still losing ground on everyone. It’s just a shame. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Even with Elias where do we rank in international spending?  I bet we’re still in the bottom 5. That’s still losing ground on everyone. It’s just a shame. 

We are basically spending our entire pool, so I think we are fine in that category.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This was true of the first class but I’m pretty sure they spent nearly all of their pool for the second class. It’s been explained a million times that kids have deals in place years ahead of their class so the Orioles were going to be behind initially. Hernandez and Basallo are 7 figure signings and both top 40 international  prospects. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, LTO's said:

This was true of the first class but I’m pretty sure they spent nearly all of their pool for the second class. It’s been explained a million times that kids have deals in place years ahead of their class so the Orioles were going to be behind initially. Hernandez and Basallo are 7 figure signings and both top 40 international  prospects. 

And that's still towards the bottom.  Yes they have progressed from dead last by a large margin to joining the rest of the bottom tier.  But that still has them losing ground compared to most teams. 

Yes I know scouting and grading these kids is pretty close to impossible but it's kind of a shame when getting two guys in the top 40 is the cause of celebration.  Two guys in the top 40 should be a worst case scenario.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm hoping the kids hold onto the team long enough until Pete passes on and then put it up for sale the following week.

There's no guarantee that a new ownership will be better than this, but you can hope.

One can dream tho!  A Steve Biscuiti team with Kevin Plank or vice-a-versa... would be difficult to do better than that. ;)

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And that's still towards the bottom.  Yes they have progressed from dead last by a large margin to joining the rest of the bottom tier.  But that still has them losing ground compared to most teams. 

Yes I know scouting and grading these kids is pretty close to impossible but it's kind of a shame when getting two guys in the top 40 is the cause of celebration.  Two guys in the top 40 should be a worst case scenario.

Most teams do not sign more than 2 top 40 guys. You know this right? Your expectations are clearly way off. And again, it's been explained by not just Perez and Elias but by Badler and others, that the Orioles were going to take a few years to catch up to the rest of the league due to how business is done down there. They are basically already there. Last class, they gave out as many 7 figure deals as the Rays and Padres did. More than the Blue Jays and Red Sox gave. It's hardly an indictment that they didn't sign any of the 3-4 million dollar guys because, again, these kids have been spoken for since before the Orioles even bothered to do real scouting down there. They also have been reported to have a deal with at least one top prospect in the upcoming class that will probably be north of 1 million. 

Just now, LTO's said:

Most teams do not sign more than 2 top 40 guys. You know this right? Your expectations are clearly way off. And again, it's been explained by not just Perez and Elias but by Badler and others, that the Orioles were going to take a few years to catch up to the rest of the league due to how business is done down there. They are basically already there. Last class, they gave out as many 7 figure deals as the Rays and Padres did. More than the Blue Jays and Red Sox gave. It's hardly an indictment that they didn't sign any of the 3-4 million dollar guys because, again, these kids have been spoken for since before the Orioles even bothered to do real scouting down there. They also have been reported to have a deal with at least one top prospect in the upcoming class that will probably be north of 1 million. 

Both guys were ranked from 30-40 (for whatever that is worth).

Getting a guy at 30 and a guy at 38 is still at the bottom of the pack. 

Would you rather have a guy at #5 and a guy at #55 or a guy at #30 and a guy at #38?  Would you rather go the Jasson route and drop practically your whole allotment on the #1 guy?

I accept that progress is being made but right now they are still at the back of the pack with the better teams still pulling ahead.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Both guys were ranked from 30-40 (for whatever that is worth).

Getting a guy at 30 and a guy at 38 is still at the bottom of the pack. 

Would you rather have a guy at #5 and a guy at #55 or a guy at #30 and a guy at #38?  Would you rather go the Jasson route and drop practically your whole allotment on the #1 guy?

I accept that progress is being made but right now they are still at the back of the pack with the better teams still pulling ahead.

The answers to your questions depends on the depth of each class, how much better the #1 guy is, etc….

I just want them to spend the money they have snd be in the running for the consensus top guys (eventually).

They are doing great right now, considering where they started and how far they have come in a short period of time.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The answers to your questions depends on the depth of each class, how much better the #1 guy is, etc….

I just want them to spend the money they have snd be in the running for the consensus top guys (eventually).

They are doing great right now, considering where they started and how far they have come in a short period of time.

Not really.  You aren't going to see a situation in which the #5 guy isn't considered a significantly more valuable prospect than the #30 guy.  You might have a class in which #5 and others are a better deal than #1 but the O's aren't in either situation right now.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not really.  You aren't going to see a situation in which the #5 guy isn't considered a significantly more valuable prospect than the #30 guy.  You might have a class in which #5 and others are a better deal than #1 but the O's aren't in either situation right now.

Yea but you may prefer 30 and 38 over 5 and 55 because you likely would have a lot more money to spend on other guys.  So yes, the depth matters.

It also matters how strong they are.  The differences between #5 and #30 could be very little or it could be a ton.

Its just wrong to look at things like this in any one way.  Lots of variables.  The regular draft is the same thing.

This years draft isn’t considered deep, so the Os should blow their wad early imo.

• Upvote 1