FCL happenings

Frobby

On 8/6/2021 at 10:29 AM, Frobby said:

This is the sixth week of the FCL season.   By my count, the Orioles Black team has been rained out 8 times, with another game suspended in the first inning.   The Orange team has been rained out 5 times.   These figures exclude one game between Orange and Black that was rained out but made up later.    Add in the fact that the FCL carries a very light schedule on Wednesdays, and it seems like our teams are never playing.   

Edit: just looked at the 10-day weather forecast for Sarasota.   Sunny today (Orange plays Black at noon), then a 30-60% chance of rain every single day through next Sunday.   Jeez.  

Black’s game today was canceled, I assume due to weather.   So that’s ten games either canceled, postponed or suspended, excluding a game against Orange that was postponed but made up.  

Just now, Frobby said:

Black’s game today was canceled, I assume due to weather.   So that’s ten games either canceled, postponed or suspended, excluding a game against Orange that was postponed but made up.  

I for one am shocked to hear of inclement weather in the Tampa Bay area in August. 

It totally doesn't rain here pretty much every day this time of year.

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I for one am shocked to hear of inclement weather in the Tampa Bay area in August. 

It totally doesn't rain here pretty much every day this time of year.

I’ve been following the GCL for years and there are always some rainouts, but this seems very extreme.  

Meanwhile, the Black game at Ed Smith scheduled for noon today has been cancelled already.   According to my weather app, there’s not supposed to be rain until 2 pm or later.   So what gives?   Is this a weather cancellation, or maybe Covid?

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been following the GCL for years and there are always some rainouts, but this seems very extreme.  

Meanwhile, the Black game at Ed Smith scheduled for noon today has been cancelled already.   According to my weather app, there’s not supposed to be rain until 2 pm or later.   So what gives?   Is this a weather cancellation, or maybe Covid?

I mentioned this once before.   A postponement is likely weather related.   When the games say cancelled it's likely something else, like Covid.

6 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

Colton Cowser now has 5 straight multi-hit games to start his pro career 11 for 16 (.688) including 3  2B, 1 HR, 7 R, 7 RBI.

Considering he's almost 21, how soon should he be headed to Delmarva or Aberdeen?

The one thing to consider about the FCL is it is about acclimating these guys to pro ball, getting them used to wood bats, and doing the scouting tweaks to their game. It’s not the worst thing to leave these NCAA players down in Florida the rest of the year to get specialized attention versus promoting them to Delmarva where they don’t have nearly the staff to help with development. 

Who knows… Cowser and Norby could get the specialized coaching the org wants to give them and start in Aberdeen next year. Especially Cowser. 6 weeks at our training facilities in Florida is probably worth more than having them face increased comp. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

Colton Cowser now has 5 straight multi-hit games to start his pro career 11 for 16 (.688) including 3  2B, 1 HR, 7 R, 7 RBI.

Considering he's almost 21, how soon should he be headed to Delmarva or Aberdeen?

He really needs to be moved now.  Timing is obviously there, which is why they sent him to the FCL to begin with.  

All of the rainouts have probably prevented him from moving up already but that’s really a cop out imo.  Maybe there is something logistical that isn’t allowing him to come up yet.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He really needs to be moved now.  Timing is obviously there, which is why they sent him to the FCL to begin with.  

All of the rainouts have probably prevented him from moving up already but that’s really a cop out imo.  Maybe there is something logistical that isn’t allowing him to come up yet.

In a way, the easiest time to move him is on Sunday/Monday.   The FCL doesn’t play on Sundays, and the full season leagues don’t play on Mondays.  So, that’s the easiest time to fly up, get situated, etc.   I think most of the moves this year have come on the off-day.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

In a way, the easiest time to move him is on Sunday/Monday.   The FCL doesn’t play on Sundays, and the full season leagues don’t play on Mondays.  So, that’s the easiest time to fly up, get situated, etc.   I think most of the moves this year have come on the off-day.

Right.  Almost all of the Orioles MiLB promotions this year have happened on Mondays.  It's just a nice natural thing with the schedule.  Are the minors expected to continue with this type of scheduling in the future, or was this just a 1-year thing?  I kind of like it.

I always suspected that most of the new draftees would get 2 weeks in the FCL.  I anticipate a lot of movement this coming Monday.

13 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Right.  Almost all of the Orioles MiLB promotions this year have happened on Mondays.  It's just a nice natural thing with the schedule.  Are the minors expected to continue with this type of scheduling in the future, or was this just a 1-year thing?  I kind of like it.

I always suspected that most of the new draftees would get 2 weeks in the FCL.  I anticipate a lot of movement this coming Monday.

I would think the players would like this schedule.   Fewer bus rides and sleeping in the same bed 6 nights in a row when on the road.   My only real beef is that in some of the leagues we are playing the same teams over and over.    Norfolk has played Jacksonville in more than 25% of their games.   

On 8/10/2021 at 11:42 AM, Frobby said:

Sorry missed this one.

I don't live in Sarasota but I live close enough to share the same general weather patterns.

It might be a case that the storms are happening in inconvenient times for playing games but it hasn't been abnormally wet this summer.  My local river isn't high, the local retention pond has been mostly dry and the standing water on the neighboring lot isn't encroaching on my property.

At least in my neck of the woods it's a pretty typical summer.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry missed this one.

I don't live in Sarasota but I live close enough to share the same general weather patterns.

It might be a case that the storms are happening in inconvenient times for playing games but it hasn't been abnormally wet this summer.  My local river isn't high, the local retention pond has been mostly dry and the standing water on the neighboring lot isn't encroaching on my property.

At least in my neck of the woods it's a pretty typical summer.

What time of day does it typically rain there?