2021 Orioles Draft Tracker

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Plan A was that they were pocketing significant money.

Plan B is that he didn't like the way they spent the money.

He hedges his bets very well.   He's covered either way.

I'm fine with being called out but can we at least be accurate?

I never said they were pocketing significant money.  I said the early results made it look that way.  Remember Stotle even said that it was hard to project where the O's might be spending the savings. 

I also said, very early, that the guys that projected to be overslot didn't look to be a good bet for the amount of money that was being saved in underslot deals.  No pivoting was involved.  I didn't like the draft, I said that pretty early. 

The 2019 draft class I liked, the 2021 draft class I didn't like. 

No gymnastics needed or performed.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm fine with being called out but can we at least be accurate?

I never said they were pocketing significant money.  I said the early results made it look that way.  Remember Stotle even said that it was hard to project where the O's might be spending the savings. 

I also said, very early, that the guys that projected to be overslot didn't look to be a good bet for the amount of money that was being saved in underslot deals.  No pivoting was involved.  I didn't like the draft, I said that pretty early. 

The 2019 draft class I liked, the 2021 draft class I didn't like. 

No gymnastics needed or performed.

Do you I have to search posts?   Didn't you pretty much brag about your "theory" about this draft?

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Do you I have to search posts?   Didn't you pretty much brag about your "theory" about this draft?

I'm normally pretty darn careful with how I word things.

Especially since it would just be a couple of weeks before the deadline hit and we'd know for sure.

I'd be disappointed in myself if made a mistake like that.

In all honestly it would be a mistake, at no point was I convinced that the O's would leave say a million unspent.  The optics would be terrible if they did. 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Especially since it would just be a couple of weeks before the deadline hit and we'd know for sure.

In all honestly it would be a mistake, at no point was I convinced that the O's would leave say a million unspent.  The optics would be terrible if they did. 

I'll have to find the original "theory" but you were responding to Frobby here.

I doubt it.   Looks like the O’s will have some significant cash left over when this is said and done.  

Every now and then my theories look less crazy.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I'll have to find the original "theory" but you were responding to Frobby here.

I doubt it.   Looks like the O’s will have some significant cash left over when this is said and done.  

Every now and then my theories look less crazy.

That's weak and you know it.  That is far from any sort of definitive statement and as you say, I'm responding to someone.

You sure you don't have anything better to do?

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's weak and you know it.  That is far from any sort of definitive statement and as you say, I'm responding to someone.

You sure you don't have anything better to do?

Haha.  Why are you getting upset?  Frobby says it looks like we'll have significant cash left when all is said and done and you basically brag that maybe your theory isn't so crazy.   A reasonable person would conclude that a "significant cash left over" coincides with your theory.   There is no other way a reasonable person would interpret that.    

I don't have anything better to do at the moment.   So if you want to squirm and lie your way out of this like you did the Latin American thing, be my guest.  I've seen in the last few weeks that there more people tired of your act and on to you than before.   Let's face it, you know baseball.  You are a pretty smart guy.  Not a bad guy.   You just have this thing.   It annoys you that Elias "acts like the smartest guy in the room".    That is pretty ironic right there.   Even very funny.   You love to pat yourself on the back when you are right and remind us about what you said previously and now you're right.  But when you are wrong it's just so hard for you to give in and admit it.   As 7M said, you move the target.   Couldn't have said it better myself.    I think I called you slippery once before but I think he put it better.

Now you just said a few posts before how you would never make the "mistake" saying something like the Orioles would leave significant cash out there from their pool.   When I confront you with proof, you get mad.  What's up with that?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Haha.  Why are you getting upset.   Frobby says it looks like we'll have significant cash left when all is said and done and you basically brag that maybe your theory isn't so crazy.   A reasonable person would conclude that a "significant cash left over" coincides with your theory.   There is no other way a reasonable person would interpret that.    

I don't have anything better to do at the moment.   So if you want to squirm and lie your way out of this like you did the Latin American thing, be my guest.  I've seen in the last few weeks that there more people tired of your act and on to you than before.   Let's face it, you know baseball.  You are a pretty smart guy.  Not a bad guy.   You just have this thing.   It annoys you that Elias "acts like the smartest guy in the room".    That is pretty ironic right there.   Even very funny.   You love to pat yourself on the back when you are right and remind us about what you said previously and now you're right.  But when you are wrong it's just so hard for you to give in and admit it.   As 7M said, you move the target.   Couldn't have said it better myself.    I think I called you slippery once before but I think he put it better.

Now you just said a few posts before how you would never make the "mistake" saying something like the Orioles would leave significant cash out there from there pool.   When I confront you with proof, you get mad.  What's up with that?

But I didn't say that.  I don't understand why when what I say is right there folks can't see it.

This is what I said.

How is that saying I would "Never make the mistake"?

You are calling me out on stuff that just isn't factually correct.

I also don't think my referencing a comment Frobby made counts as any sort of declaration.  Heck I was being self deprecating by calling my theories crazy.

As for Latin America, I didn't see his most recent comments but I think what I have said has gone from.

Dan- They don't spend any money of note down there and trade away all the slots for marginal players.

Early Elias- I don't see why you can't overpay these 16 year old kids to make up for whatever "relationship" they have with other teams.  I still stand by that by the way, I think teams have a Gentleman's agreement down there to not poach.

Middle Elias- Hey they are spending more great, but I don't see why they are leaving any money unspent when all the other teams are spending their full allotment.

Current Elias- Progress, yes progress is great but I can't get to excited by signing two guys ranked ~30.  That isn't catching up to other teams as much as it is not falling further behind.

Maybe I'm nuts but I don't see where my views of the O's evolving presence down there are all that erratic.

I've admitted they've made progress but I think that it is overall still a team weakness.

Now do I say a LOT.  Yes.  Am I likely to contradict myself a bit when I spew this much content on the page?  Sure. 

But if you quote me can you quote me correctly?

Btw I'm not mad, I'm tired.  I don't get why I'm important enough for you folks to bother trying to snipe me.

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Dude!  Corn!   Wow!   I will let the rest of the Hangout decide who is twisting words or who said what or meant what.   

I copy and pasted a quote from you.  How is that not quoting you correctly?  LOL

I didn't say the part you actually quoted wasn't correct.  Although I don't think it is all that much of a "Gotcha" moment.

You did see the part I bolded right?  The part that said

Now you just said a few posts before how you would never make the "mistake" saying something like the Orioles would leave significant cash out there from there pool. 

That is misquoting me. 

This is what I actually said.

Notice I do not say "Never".  Never is a very strong word.  You are  misrepresenting what I actually said when you claim I use a term of that strength.  The nuance of what I said and how you characterized what I said are quite different.  You have actually managed to portray me as more egotistical than I actually am and that isn't easy.

Now you are also "a pretty smart guy.  Not a bad guy." but I do think you were intentionally trying to color my comments.

For whatever reason I can't begin to fathom.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if you quote me can you quote me correctly?

Btw I'm not mad, I'm tired.  I don't get why I'm important enough for you folks to bother trying to snipe me.

Because you routinely dominate and hijack a large percentage of threads on the board. 

Someone could post "Austin Hays had 2 hits last night". 

You're likely to respond: "I've seen no evidence that ownership will spend when the time is right".

Maybe that's an accurate statement. But why do you have to hijack the thread? Maybe ownership won't spend. But could you let them screw up before suggesting they might screw up? And what's wrong with having a thread about Austin Hays having 2 hits? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Because you routinely dominate and hijack a large percentage of threads on the board. 

Someone could post "Austin Hays had 2 hits last night". 

You're likely to respond: "I've seen no evidence that ownership will spend when the time is right".

Maybe that's an accurate statement. But why do you have to hijack the thread? Maybe ownership won't spend. But could you let them screw up before suggesting they might screw up? And what's wrong with having a thread about Austin Hays having 2 hits? 

So to combat that you post @me trying to get me to respond?

That doesn't seem like a good strategy.

Maybe try a DM?

But hey, thanks for explaining the why of it, I appreciate the information.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So to combat that you post @me trying to get me to respond?

That doesn't seem like a good strategy.

Maybe try a DM?

But hey, thanks for explaining the why of it, I appreciate the information.

No, you don't appreciate it. I think you're fully aware of what you're doing and you enjoy hijacking threads, "suggesting" Elias made mistakes and that ownership is cheap. That's your thing. That's how you troll. 

You pay enough attention to your words that you won't say "the O's will underspend by a million" but you'll say "it'd be a bad look if they underspend by a million." You put that thought out there in the thread and people read it as if it's likely.

Yes, it's accurate to say that if they underspend by a million, that would be a bad look. But when you're posting that, there is not one single reason or shred of evidence to believe that's going to actually happen.  But when you post stuff like that a dozen times a day, 365 times a year, your message is very clear and it's very, very intentional. 

I don't get the enjoyment of coming to a board every day trying to prove that nothing will get better with ownership, with the MLB roster, with drafts, with international, with development, with anything. But you show up, everyday, ready to tell everybody how bad things are. 

This is the last I'll direct at you. If you're determined to hijack threads, you'll keep doing what you've been doing until Tony gets more sick of it. But I wish Tony realized how many posters you deter, and how much better the board could be without you dominating so many threads with the relentless negativity.