Why is Mullins sitting?

Philip

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because then he would get two days off in a row.

You do know Mullins isn't going to get the all star break off like the rest of the team right?

You worried this might negatively impact the team's playoff chances?

No I don't care about the team's playoff chances. Remember we're not trying to win.  Just refuse to allow Mullins to go to the All Star game and send Urias, Stewart, or Valaika instead.  It worked for the Futures game.

On 7/4/2021 at 7:27 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't question giving Mullins a day off, but why give him a day off before an off day?

A lot of managers prefer to give a front-line player a break when it can get them two consecutive days of rest due to a following off-day. Buck used to explicitly state that that was he was doing. It makes sense: two consecutive days gives a player a much better chance to heal, work on some aspect of their game, or reset.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LA2 said:

McKenna started instead of Mullins. Or are you saying that just to have an opportunity to bash DJ? Oh yeah, DJ was starting in place of someone else: the limping Santander.

I don’t care about Stewart starting but I care about Mullins sitting. If Mullins were starting, McKenna could have played left. Or Stewart. I dont care. But there’s no excuse for Mullins to sit. 

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Has Mullins had a day off all year? Just about every player gets a day now and then. 

He has been in 83 of 85 games, though I don’t know how many games he started. I guess the days of a guy playing 160 are over.

54 minutes ago, Philip said:

He has been in 83 of 85 games, though I don’t know how many games he started. I guess the days of a guy playing 160 are over.

So I guess you’ll be riding Rutschman as hard as Buck rode Wieters!  
They’re not action figures!

53 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

If we have a solid backup it’s ok to sit guys. If I had Taylor Teagarden backing up Wiets I’d have pushed Wieters too.

1 hour ago, JimGinSP said:

That was perhaps Buck's biggest weakness as a manager not giving his regulars a day off every now and again. You could see it in certain years where Adam Jones, JJ Hardy and other veterans would start to wear out in August and September because they never sat ever. 

It was on Buck to rest his players when necessary because when you ask a gamer like Adam Jones if he needs a day off, his answer will always be no. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

If we have a solid backup it’s ok to sit guys. If I had Taylor Teagarden backing up Wiets I’d have pushed Wieters too.

That’s absurd. You can’t run these guys into the ground. 

You’d have pushed Wieters? Gary Carter played in 159 games in 1984 for the Expos.  And that’s National League, they couldn’t have him DH.  The next year for the Mets, he was in 149 games.  After that he never appeared in more than 139 games again which he did in 1987 at age 33.  Even then,his production had declined sharply.

You can’t tune into every game expecting to see the star players no matter how bad the backups are.  It’s completely unrealistic and unreasonable.  

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That was perhaps Buck's biggest weakness as a manager not giving his regulars a day off every now and again. You could see it in certain years where Adam Jones, JJ Hardy and other veterans would start to wear out in August and September because they never sat ever. 

It was on Buck to rest his players when necessary because when you ask a gamer like Adam Jones if he needs a day off, his answer will always be no. 

I believe every player could use a day off every couple of weeks.  I don't care if they are an All Star.  Cal hit 260 something for his career and his hitting was fairly average after his first 10 years.  The streak ended and he started taking regular days off and hit .330+ one year.  I know this is blasphemy for most O's fans.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I believe every player could use a day off every couple of weeks.  I don't care if they are an All Star.  Cal hit 260 something for his career and his hitting was fairly average after his first 10 years.  The streak ended and he started taking regular days off and hit .330+ one year.  I know this is blasphemy for most O's fans.

No, just no.

Ripken won the MVP in 1991 when he hit .323.  That season was sandwiched around two other seasons which he hit .250 and .251.  What, was he all of a sudden not supposed to take a day off in '91 but take time off in 1990 and 1992?

Even that year he had late in his career where he hit .340, he did it in 86 games.  The next year he played in 83 games and hit .256.  Shouldn't he have hit .340 again?

He also hit .276 for his career, get the facts right.  

Here's an artists rendition of me declaring victory on this thread:

Rocky%204.jpg

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, just no.

Ripken won the MVP in 1991 when he hit .323.  That season was sandwiched around two other seasons which he hit .250 and .251.  What, was he all of a sudden not supposed to take a day off in '91 but take time off in 1990 and 1992?

Even that year he had late in his career where he hit .340, he did it in 86 games.  The next year he played in 83 games and hit .256.  Shouldn't he have hit .340 again?

He also hit .276 for his career, get the facts right.  

Here's an artists rendition of me declaring victory on this thread:

Rocky%204.jpg

I get it, no MLB starter ever deserves a day off.  I still think Cal and some of the other "Iron Men" of the sport would have done better with an occasional day off.  Stretches of playing more than 1 game a day for a month or more (d/t rainouts) will even wear out superhuman athletes.  Look at LeBron James and the extreme exhaustion he complained of.  (Yeah I know he didn't play a game a day)  He did play about 120 games in a 12 month span.