2021 Draft Thread

2 minutes ago, Black_and_Orange said:

yeah, so pirates go underslot at 1.1 and then go lottery ticket overslots with a HS pitcher and HS OF. Orioles go underslot and then take a college 2B and a college OF with their next two picks. 

Kinda makes me mad when the Marlins take Khalil Watson and the HS Catcher with their first two picks. The padres just casually take the 6'7" HS OF Wood with their second pick without going underslot with their first pick.

I feel like it's just a myth that you have to go big underslot in order to afford HS studs.

I will get mad if the Orioles don't spend all of their draft pool. 

Until then, I can't say I know enough about the individual players to get that worked up over how they do it.

The way I see it, there are two possible explanations for what is going on with this draft:

1) Colton Cowser was a full slot pick and the orioles don't really have the savings to go underslot like we think they do.

2) The Orioles overvalue all of these college bats so much more than everyone else and they are slightly over slotting each of them (even though they don't need to)

Both possibilities would mean the orioles front office are failing at their jobs

4 minutes ago, Black_and_Orange said:

The way I see it, there are two possible explanations for what is going on with this draft:

1) Colton Cowser was a full slot pick and the orioles don't really have the savings to go underslot like we think they do.

2) The Orioles overvalue all of these college bats so much more than everyone else and they are slightly over slotting each of them (even though they don't need to)

Both possibilities would mean the orioles front office are failing at their jobs

Well  as long as we can rabble rouse and call on people to be fired based off of limited information……

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Black_and_Orange said:

Very well could be.

I see an Orioles front office who has likely been told by ownership that their patience is dwindling, and they have until 2023 (or 2024) to field a competitor.  College players are more likely to contribute sooner.  Doesn't do Elias & co. any good to draft a HS project who takes 4-5 years to reach the big leagues, if Elias isn't around to reap the benefits.

10 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Well  as long as we can rabble rouse and call on people to be fired based off of limited information……

This comment may apply to the quality of players drafted, but it doesn't take an insider to know that pitching is really important to winning at baseball, that the Orioles' pitching is abysmal, and that this is the 3rd straight season that the O's have not invested any high draft picks on pitching.   I don't see how this can be a good draft strategy.