Where will Cowser start?

orioles22

20 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He's not a pitcher so there's no reason to worry about rest. I imagine he will start at Delmarva maybe with a warm up for a game or two in the FCL perhaps. I would expect he will start next year in Aberdeen and end up in Bowie next year. If he's as advanced as he's supposed to be, I could see them push this timeline and have him start next ear in AA depending how he hits this year.

Among last year's college position player top 15 draftees, Austin Martin (#5) started at AA this year, Spencer Torkelson (#1) started at A+ and has since been promoted to AA, while Nick Gonzales (#7), Patrick Bailey (#13), and Justin Foscue (#14) all started and have not advanced beyond A+.

Obviously none of those guys played any minor league ball this year, but I would be surprised if Cowser was anywhere other than Aberdeen on Opening Day next year. Hopefully he signs soon and can spend some time in Delmarva over the last 10 weeks of the season.

On 7/11/2021 at 9:50 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

Is it unprecedented for a draft pick to play in the fall league?  He's likely to just get a few at bats at rookie league if at all.

Not unprecedented.   Jake Arrieta did it.   

But remember, these players need to be signed by August 1 and the minor league season runs to Sept. 19 this year.   So in theory a player could get in 7+ weeks worth of minor league games depending how quickly he signs.   

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But remember, these players need to be signed by August 1 and the minor league season runs to Sept. 19 this year.   So in theory a player could get in 7+ weeks worth of minor league games depending how quickly he signs.   

Signing period has also been moved up since Arrieta, so I would think more kids will play the end of the signing season now than before.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It is nice having the minor league season go two weeks later this year. Wouldn't be opposed to keeping the mid-September end time and mid-April start time.

21 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I’d probably have him at 5 or 6.

Adley

Grayson

Hall

Gunner

Westburg/Cowser

Based on what I’ve read, this sounds about right.   Fangraphs pegs him as an immediate top 90 guy, so I’m guessing he’d be slightly above Westburg.   I’d say Norby below Westburg but ahead of Vavra?

They went college in this draft and it's probably largely because their models worked better with the college data particularly given COVID, but I wonder if they are also trying to beef up their upper minors and trying to get a few more guys that will be on a similar timeline (or just behind) some of their current top prospects. 

They've been very slow with many of the current prospects and COVID plays a role there, too. But they also seem to be trying to time it to capitalize when they're all ready. So, I could see Cowser starting in Delmarva this year and getting a taste of Aberdeen with that his starting spot next year with hopes of a reasonably early bump to Bowie. He could--if he proves ready--move much faster than we are used to seeing by product of where the organization is rather than where he individually is (not to say they'll rush him, but I think we may start moving beyond the team intentionally slow playing guys). 

21 hours ago, jamalshw said:

They went college in this draft and it's probably largely because their models worked better with the college data particularly given COVID, but I wonder if they are also trying to beef up their upper minors and trying to get a few more guys that will be on a similar timeline (or just behind) some of their current top prospects. 

They've been very slow with many of the current prospects and COVID plays a role there, too. But they also seem to be trying to time it to capitalize when they're all ready. So, I could see Cowser starting in Delmarva this year and getting a taste of Aberdeen with that his starting spot next year with hopes of a reasonably early bump to Bowie. He could--if he proves ready--move much faster than we are used to seeing by product of where the organization is rather than where he individually is (not to say they'll rush him, but I think we may start moving beyond the team intentionally slow playing guys). 

LOL Paging @SteveAto give his treatise on when prospects will see higher levels.