2021 Comp Round B pick (65): Reed Trimble - (Sophomore) Southern Mississippi

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

LOL

Last year:

Lefty college OFer, college MIer, college OFer

This year:

Lefty college college OFer, college MIer, college OFer.

Building that Adley supporting cast.   Somebody always has to be Daz Cameron or Joe Musgrove.

The first wave of pitchers massive failures is perhaps killing 2022 (though we don't need a ton of them to thrive if the Big 3 are able to perform well next year), but these first 18 hours show some preference for sooner rather than later contributors.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

What about when they choose the lowest possible ranking and ignore the better ones? 

This is the baseball draft. Criticism is going to be right more than it's not. That doesn't mean the critics' way is a better way. They'd certainly be wrong more often than not too.

It also doesn’t mean we have to hear the same tired bitching and moaning because people dislike a strategy. 

This has always been a board where criticizing the team has been meant with over the top reactions because how dare anyone question those in charge! 

Elias is good (and is arguably the best thing to happen to this team in decades) but he hasn’t built anything yet and until he does and shows us that he can build this team as the man in charge, he doesn’t deserve a total benefit of the doubt.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I pretty much agree with every word of this. That doesn't mean the knee jerk stuff makes any sense. Your "I kind like Cowser but would have preferred Lawler" take is much more reasonable, IMO.

At every spot there's a case to be made for the dude sitting there because he just wants more money, or something like that. It's so easy to find option b and latch onto it. Doesn't mean that option a isn't without its merits though. The tearing down of picks without any context or background knowledge is just so damn tiring. I'm not referring to you on this.

Would rec this if I weren't spent for the day.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Pity.  That new Ch'king sandwich is money.  

I'll have to give that a try.   The new chicken sandwich McDonald's came out with to try to compete with Popeyes and Chik-Fil-A was garbage.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let's make a deal:

Continue to rage against these picks and what Elias is doing and you're not allowed to root for any of these players if they pan out to be legit prospects.  

Hence the ignore button.  My head has been so much less likely to explode. JTrea Jr

2 hours ago, sevastras said:

Hence the ignore button.  My head has been so much less likely to explode. JTrea Jr

The problem with the ignore button is that half the time it doesn't matter, because other people quote them to reply to them.  You see them all the time anyway.

10 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

The problem with the ignore button is that half the time it doesn't matter, because other people quote them to reply to them.  You see them all the time anyway.

I've never felt the need to be protected from reading anything.   I prefer movies where they don't censor out the cuss words.   I just skip over reading something as soon as I see it is from someone I think is an idiot or that has made the same point 20 times.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I've never felt the need to be protected from reading anything.   I prefer movies where they don't censor out the cuss words.   I just skip over reading something as soon as I see it is from someone I think is an idiot or that has made the same point 20 times.   

I only have one after all of these years, it was just non stop too much.  After a couple of cocktails, I just cant bite my tongue sometimes.

1 hour ago, linedrive said:

So much complaining. As for me, I'll stay optimistic. I like what Elias is doing with the organization and this draft, and I'm fine with this pick. Yeah, I get it, Trimble was ranked 148 by MLB... but 105 by Baseball America. Wow! That's a big discrepancy, right??? That's a 43 player difference! Does someone at MLB need to be fired for ranking him so high? Or does someone at BA need to be fired for ranking him so low? And get this, the Mets drafted Calvin Zeigler with their 46th pick. But MLB ranked him 123, so maybe the Mets GM needs to be fired for going WAY under slot! I'm glad WE didn't draft Zeigler... imagine the the horror! And almost as bad, our arch nemesis, the New York Yankees, drafted Brendan Beck with their 55th pick, and he was ranked 99 by MLB!!! Their GM should be fired for going under slot instead of spending the money- how cheap!!! St. Louis, another winning organization, made a similar move with their 70th pick (ranked 105).

I think we all know the draft isn't an exact science. Major League GM's, like Elias, do their homework. He's a proven himself, and I have no reason to doubt him at this stage of the game. Time will tell. The O's do have one of the best farm systems in the Majors, and we're FINALLY developing our international scouting in the DM, so we're heading in the right direction.

Ok, so from what I've been reading, Reed probably should have been ranked a lot higher than either MLB or BA, and I'm guessing Elias didn't think Trimble would be there in round 3, where they had the 76th pick. If this is the pick he wanted, then I'm cool with it. It'll be fun to follow this guys career and see how he develops. He's got a lot of good tools to work and could end up as one of our starting outfielders in 3 years. Let's give him a chance.

I don’t care about rankings, but I think that it’s fair for people to feel less optimistic after the first 10 rounds of the draft.

After 3 drafts, it appears that Elias likes “college performers” with high exit velocities and doesn’t care about questionable hit tools and avoids pitchers. Trimble is a little different because he has some tools, but they haven’t drafted power arms or high ceiling high school players outside of Henderson (Mayo and Baumler were several tiers below Henderson coming out of high school).

I hope Elias’ strategy works, but I have always liked high upside high school kids and don’t really care about the risks involved. I think the biggest weakness of the system is a lack of high ceiling impact players and the college guys that he has drafted don’t scream high ceiling. Elias seems like the kind of guy that would’ve drafted Christian Colon over Manny Machado because they had more data on Colon and the model preferred him.

Maybe Trimble works out, but I would’ve much preferred Bubba Chandler because his 97 mph fastball and multi-sport athlete background makes him a more exciting prospect to me with a higher ceiling. It’s the same reason I would’ve drafted Rocker, House, or Watson over Cowser, but he knows more than me and I hope his picks are good. They just aren’t the types of players some people prefer and I think that’s okay.

• Upvote 1