A glimmer of hope on Kjerstad?

Frobby

1 minute ago, fitzi22 said:

Glenn, I’m sorry if the proverbial “we” hurt your feelings, it really wasn’t meant for you. The “we” is referring to the members on the board hoping Kjerstad will somehow show up like Prince Charming and turn this pumpkin of a franchise around when there is no indication right now that will ever happen.  

Those who prefer to be optimistic will be hoping that Kerstad is a full go for the 2022 season.    You can block him out, write him off, do whatever you need to do.    Whatever floats your boat.   Others don't need to adopt your position.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Those who prefer to be optimistic will be hoping that Kerstad is a full go for the 2022 season.    You can block him out, write him off, do whatever you need to do.    Whatever floats your boat.   Others don't need to adopt your position.

Ha ha ha. I’m not forcing anyone to adopt any positions.  I’m a realist expressing my opinion, no different than anyone else.  We bought a lemon, it happens, and the franchise needs to place its hopes and dreams on others now ( barring some drastic change that we haven’t seen in a year).

Ha ha ha. I’m not forcing anyone to adopt any positions.  I’m a realist expressing my opinion, no different than anyone else.  We bought a lemon, it happens, and the franchise needs to place its hopes and dreams on others now ( barring some drastic change that we haven’t seen in a year).

There is a word for you but realist isn't the word I'm thinking of.   There is a lot of uncertainty involving Kjerstad but you sound certain that he's a lemon.   Have it your way.   

We bought a lemon? 

50 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

Not silly at all. He has done nothing a professional ball player would do since COVID with no indications of that changing. You guys need to update your expectations.  Heston is not an answer at this point and may never be unless something changes.  They had no problem drafting Cowser this year because Elias sees the same thing.  I hope he recovers and has a productive life/career but at this point there is absolutely no reason to expect that will ever happen.  Time to move on to the guys actually playing ball.

Your posts are addressing two separate issues that I think need to be considered separately.   

First, there’s the medical question.   Will he fully recover from his myocarditis, and if so, when?   That’s a huge issue and we have no idea what the answer will be.   I recall one poster who’s a doctor said it could be a real issue considering that he’s already had one recurrence after being cleared to start activities.    We need to approach this issue with humility, since most of us aren’t doctors and even those who are don’t know the specifics of Kjerstad’s situation.  I think we know enough to say this is a serious hurdle to clear.   

The second issue, can he regain his form if the medical obstacles recede, worries me way less.   We’ve seen plenty of guys miss a year or two and come back.   It may take a while, since not only has Kjerstad not seen live pitching since March 2020, he’s probably not been working out at anywhere near the level a pro athlete normally would.   Even a guy like Trey Mancini was able to do some things to keep in shape while undergoing chemo.   But Kjerstad probably did very little.   I still feel good that he can work his way back, if his medical situation can be put firmly in the rear view mirror.  Your 2024-25 timetable is probably right, if there’s a timetable at all.   But we will still need good players by then.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I just saw something that said they were indeed having the AFL his year.   I think Melewski has something.  He suggested that D.L. Hall might be a candidate.   I just hope Kjerstad is a full go for next spring.   Not really worried about getting him into the AFL at this point but that would be nice.

Whoa!! Who is that masked man.   Welcome back RZ.  Have not hear much from you lately.   Hope to hear more from one of my favorite posters.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

Glenn, I’m sorry if the proverbial “we” hurt your feelings, it really wasn’t meant for you. The “we” is referring to the members on the board hoping Kjerstad will somehow show up like Prince Charming and turn this pumpkin of a franchise around when there is no indication right now that will ever happen.  

Absolutely no people on this message board are saying that. None. No one has said that or thinks that will happen. He's one guy, and he's nowhere near the prospect of a guy like Adley. We're not idiots, man. Hopefully he's really good but I have seen exactly 0 people describe him as a savior of the franchise. You're arguing with imaginary people on this one. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Whoa!! Who is that masked man.   Welcome back RZ.  Have not hear much from you lately.   Hope to hear more from one of my favorite posters.

Buddy.  I have a funny story for you.  I got banned by mistake.  I just found out it was a mistake.  I didn't realize I was unbanned until I tried to access the message board from my work computer.   I have been lurking and reading SportsGuy and Corn posts and biting my tongue!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks Frobby my point exactly.  The issues and hurdles are significant and growing as time passes.  Unfortunately the best medical treatment is to sit, wait and cross your fingers which might work but clearly has not for the last 12 months.  It’s an unfortunate situation for both sides.  That being said there is no doubt in my mind that one of the reasons Elias was comfortable with Cowser is because of Kjerstad’s situation.  I’m not saying cut the guy and move on but any expectations for the former #2 pick need to be absolute rock bottom right now.

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Buddy.  I have a funny story for you.  I got banned by mistake.  I just found out it was a mistake.  I didn't realize I was unbanned until I tried to access the message board from my work computer.   I have been lurking and reading SportsGuy and Corn posts and biting my tongue!

Well the OH just improved with your return.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Very glad you are back.  There is balance in The Force!  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If I were reading posts from corn ‘n sports guy I would bite my tongue too…