Mancini back over .800 OPS

Frobby

If the O's trade Mancini, what do you think they can get for him?  I don't think he has high trade value.  Then you have to find someone to play first base.  I don't know that Mountcastle is an every day first baseman, is he?  That leaves bringing someone up from the minors (Nevin?  Welk?  Teter?) or obtaining one via trade or free agency.  Can Santander play first?

7 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

If the O's trade Mancini, what do you think they can get for him?  I don't think he has high trade value.  Then you have to find someone to play first base.  I don't know that Mountcastle is an every day first baseman, is he?  That leaves bringing someone up from the minors (Nevin?  Welk?  Teter?) or obtaining one via trade or free agency.  Can Santander play first?

I think most likely Mancini is an Oriole in 2022. I think he’ll have more value as an Oriole over any return the team would receive in a trade.

9 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Mountcastle hasn't looked bad at first to me.   I don't see any reason whatsoever why he couldn't be an every day first baseman.

32 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

If he doesn't have a high trade value then is he valuable enough to keep on the roster?

I just don’t see how Mancini is back next year. We’re not just going to catch AR 100-120 games next year. He caught zero in 2020 except at the team family and has 51 catching starts this year. It will be sad, but I see us getting back a Miguel Castro, or lesser versions of the Bundy/Givens’ trades. 

Unfortunately Mancini has limited trade destinations, that only includes teams trying to “contend” and needing a DH/1B. 

16 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

This has been mentioned in other threads, but seems relevant to note in this thread that Mancini's atrocious August has pulled his OPS down to .775. I suspect the grind of playing a full season is having an impact (and the terrible losing streak is probably challenging too), but his 2021 season has been highly variable month-to-month so who knows. Will be interesting to see if Mancini gets hot again or sort of limps to the finish line. 

I was thinking Mancini's  was the HR derby throwing off his swing but upon reflection that was before he started slumping. 
It's probably because coming back and the long season after his illness he's wearing down.. 

Would you trade Mancini for the Castro return. P Kevin Smith and DSL SS Victor Gonzalez?  I think that’s what we’re looking at. 

We’re going to call up AR next year at some point. Once he’s up here he’s going to get a lot of PT at 1B/DH. No need to beat his knees up in a season that we aren’t going to be competitive. I’ll also say that we need the flexibility of the DH position to rest guys, and to use to get a look at other bats. Maybe DH’ing Santander some keeps him healthy. 

Question. With Galvis and Franco gone, and Severino and Matt Harvey presumably moving on after the season, the Orioles will not have anyone other than Trey with substantial big-league experience. I may have missed someone; there are other not-too-young players on the 40-man and 25-man rosters, but I think they all have little experience in the bigs, all of it as fringe, short-stay players.

I'm ambivalent about trading Trey in  the off-season for a decent return. Part of the reason is that I believe veteran leadership has value to a club that has very little of it, and I don't see where else it will come from. (The fact that Hyde doesn't seem to have any of that quality affects my thinking.) But how much value? I don't know. Some.

I have a few questions for those who think Trey should be dealt this off-season. Do you think the whole idea that there's value to veteran leadership is just baseball old-think that's either imaginary or greatly exaggerated? (I used to believe that, but things I've read and heard over the past 5-10 years  have changed my mind)? Do you think that stuff has potential value to a contending team, but not to one that's struggling to move from 100-plus losses to .500? Do you think that Trey, given his quiet demeanor, doesn't supply much of the leadership that's helpful in baseball? Do you think that this kind of leadership can come from wlsewhere, either Santander/Mullins/Hays/Means/others as they gain experience, or from veterans acquired via trade and free agency? Just curious.

21 hours ago, Yossarian said:

RM is fine at 1B.

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he doesn't have a high trade value then is he valuable enough to keep on the roster?

He’s not. They can NT him and then make him an offer.

I would just keep Trey as he likely won’t bring very much at the moment and for the other reasons already noted.  Take a flier on him getting hot next year and a contending team having an injury need at 1B or something and it would likely be a better trade return than he would return right now. Even as a rental. 

Just now, tntoriole said:

I would just keep Trey as he likely won’t bring very much at the moment and for the other reasons already noted.  Take a flier on him getting hot next year and a contending team having an injury need at 1B or something and it would likely be a better trade return than he would return right now. Even as a rental. 

I don't think the Orioles should be signing folks with the hope that they get hot and can be traded at the deadline.

I don't think the return on those types of deals is worth the effort and cost.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the Orioles should be signing folks with the hope that they get hot and can be traded at the deadline.

I don't think the return on those types of deals is worth the effort and cost.

In general I would agree but as mentioned Trey also brings some other value to a totally demoralized fan base having the prospect of likely another terrible season to get through.