Jean Pinto - RHP 2021

Tony-OH

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He looks to have multiple pitches and pretty good command of those 3 pitches.  Not sure what you are seeing.  If you put a slo mo on any pitcher it will look like they are putting a lot of stress on their elbow and/or shoulder.  

Not the stress on the arm I’m talking about, more the repeatability of the delivery. That’s the first video I’ve seen and didn’t know he had an unorthodox delivery.  He is more compact, so that may make it easier to repeat. Either way, I’m excited about him and for him. 

Another typically solid Pinto outing today: 6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K’s.   He threw 92 pitches, 60 for strikes.   

I’ve noticed that the O’s have allowed Pinto to throw 6 IP four times already.   I guess since he didn’t start on a full-season club, they don’t need to worry about an innings limit for the season.  He’s thrown 74.2 innings, all since June 28.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Another typically solid Pinto outing today: 6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K’s.   He threw 92 pitches, 60 for strikes.   

I’ve noticed that the O’s have allowed Pinto to throw 6 IP four times already.   I guess since he didn’t start on a full-season club, they don’t need to worry about an innings limit for the season.  He’s thrown 74.2 innings, all since June 28.

He also seems to be pretty pitch efficient. Very few high pitch innings.  By high pitch, I mean 25+.  15 or less is good.  Once you go over 20, it's getting high. 25 is getting into high stress. Over 30 is the inning from hell.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I've never understood the infatuation with innings pitched. I think the amount of pitches thrown is what should be monitored, all IP are not created equal

12 minutes ago, Triple Crown said:

I've never understood the infatuation with innings pitched. I think the amount of pitches thrown is what should be monitored, all IP are not created equal

I expect that teams look at both.   For public discussion, IP is more readily available so that’s what gets discussed.   

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yikes. Love the numbers but that is one ugly delivery. Looks like a textbook of what not to do as a pitcher. 

He's probably doing a lot more right than you think.  It doesn't look ugly to me.  How many pitchers actually finish squared up to home plate in "perfect" fielding position?   With shifts you probably don't want your pitcher getting a glove on anything up the middle anyway. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He's probably doing a lot more right than you think.  It doesn't look ugly to me.  How many pitchers actually finish squared up to home plate in "perfect" fielding position?   With shifts you probably don't want your pitcher getting a glove on anything up the middle anyway. 

I worry about the line drive coming right at his head.  His glove ends up behind him on the left with his right side exposed to the batter.

1 minute ago, Hazmat said:

I worry about the line drive coming right at his head.  His glove ends up behind him on the left with his right side exposed to the batter.

He's in perfect position to duck and turn his back to the ball.  Half kidding.  Most of the pitchers I've seen hit in the face or head were in proper position. They just couldn't react quick enough. 

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, it is possible he has success with it. It does look like he is repeating it. With all the moving parts you'd think he'd be all over the place but he actually has a low walk rate in the 2's. Reminds me of a more extreme Lincecum or less extreme Mitch Williams. Have to worry about an injury waiting to happen. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah, it is possible he has success with it. It does look like he is repeating it. With all the moving parts you'd think he'd be all over the place but he actually has a low walk rate in the 2's. Reminds me of a more extreme Lincecum or less extreme Mitch Williams. Have to worry about an injury waiting to happen. 

You have to worry about an injury waiting to happen with every pitcher. I honestly don't know where his mechanics rate on the injury spectrum.  The arm action looks pretty clean to me but I'm no expert.  Guys with perfect mechanics get injuries but I guess it's about odds.  Mussina is probably a great example of a pitcher with great mechanics who never had a serious injury IIRC.