I'm starting to think we are 4-5 years away from competing for real

kidrock

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We need some a fresh batch of 17 year old Dominicans. 

Last batch went stale.

Not stale, just poor internet coverage. Gotta have some visuals to keep the faith.

I'd sure like to be involved in the trade deadline thing though. If the only hope is "coach 'em up", I might lose a bit of faith.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Part of the reason we are years from being competitive is because that's why the GM was hired.  For a slow tear it down rebuild.  That was his hiring pitch.

I agree. I think the tear down task was much more difficult than most were willing to admit. 

19 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Jones batted .236 / .706 ops in July with 31 SO in 89 ABs.  He's 1 for his last 19.  Plays poor D.  Wouldn't say he's setting the world on fire.  

He's the future, ask @Explosivo.  All of these prospects are perfect and will fill every need we have! No failures, I am sure.

19 hours ago, Pickles said:

Well isn't that kind of the Op's point?

We don't have a core or depth.

Bringing up some top prospects- if they're even successful- might give us a core, but that won't make us a good team.

That's exactly my point.  You see these teams with 3-5 stars who still sit at 500.  I think it is going to take 4-5 to truly assemble enough stars and supporting cast.

18 hours ago, vab said:

The Orioles are definitely taking the long road here. That 2012 team was built on a few prospects who developed but mostly trades, free agents and a couple of shrewd pick-ups here and there. What the club is doing now is trying to develop a talent pipeline through the farm system. That takes much longer but it will make them a perennial or nearly-perennial contender if they can pull it off (see Tampa, Oakland). The 2012 method was good for five years but look where it left us. 

Exactly.  Elias wants a talent pipeline.  Not some quick fix compete for 4 years window.

3 hours ago, kidrock said:

That's exactly my point.  You see these teams with 3-5 stars who still sit at 500.  I think it is going to take 4-5 to truly assemble enough stars and supporting cast.

Then you have teams like the 2014 Orioles who were Manny (who only played 82 games) and a bunch of pretty good players and they won 96 games.  It's not about how many stars you collect. 

On 7/28/2021 at 2:51 PM, Pickles said:

I think another thing worth pointing out is that rebuilds almost never go in linear fashion.  There seems to be a belief that we'll win 70 game and then 80 and then 90 and we'll be right in contention.  That's doubtful.

Go look at the Ray in 08 when they finally got good.  Or the O's in  12.  Or the Cubs and Astros.  Those teams got good overnight.  

So even if you believe we'll be competitive in 2024, it's very possible that we won't be any good until then, and well under .500 in 23.

I think it's less likely to have a linear progression of 70, 80, 90 wins than it is to go 70, 67, 90.  Just look at the Orioles history.  They've gone from 76 to 91 to 109.  Then 54 to 87.  Then from 67 to 89.  Then 71 to 88.  Then 69 to 93.  Then 75 to 47.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Then you have teams like the 2014 Orioles who were Manny (who only played 82 games) and a bunch of pretty good players and they won 96 games.  It's not about how many stars you collect. 

That was also the year Wieters was lost to Tommy John surgery after only playing  26 games, when he was having a hot start offensively with a 132 OPS+.