A Few Developments

Peace21

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I think this whole thread is a crock. The supposed Boston deal for Tex makes no sense on several levels, most of which have been stated.

Remember the prospects right now are just guys we are tossing around. Youk was one that my guy said may be apart of it. And Lester is a maybe for the deal.

Oh here it is - Short version

During the offseason the Orioles approached Bedard and his agent with a long term deal. I dont have the specifics of the deal, but apparently it was a lowball offer. Duquette was bascially the puppet in the whole thing because Bedards people countered and Duq had to check with Angelos to see if it worked. It took so much time, Bedard said F it and said to the his agent that he will play out his contract and and any long term deal they offered he will shoot it down. It has to be REALLY good for him to consider he said. He isnt happy with how the negotiations went.

This aggravates me no end. This lowball stuff has killed the Orioles over the last 4 years, and it's just plain stupid business. They have to fix this and sign Bedard. If they can't, then trade him this offseason.

By the way, is there a long version? If so I would like to hear it.

First basemen that can hit practically grow on trees;

That species doesn't grow in Baltimore though.

They may be talking about Tejada, but there is no way the Os trade him over the summer.Any team making an offer will low-ball the Orioles because Tejada's got a bad wrist which makes his future uncertain-plus his power numbers have declined.They'd be fools to, trade him in that context.

I think Tx. will unload Tiexiera , but I cannot imagine the Orioles doing anything.They could have the package, trouble is, so many of our best trade assets Penn, Ray) are injured.

This aggravates me no end. This lowball stuff has killed the Orioles over the last 4 years, and it's just plain stupid business. They have to fix this and sign Bedard. If they can't, then trade him this offseason.

By the way, is there a long version? If so I would like to hear it.

I wouldn't get too heated. The guy is an agent, not related to Bedard in any way. this was a rumor that came out of a Toronto newspaper last year and was wisely regarded as gossip then.

I honestly think if this happened the sources we have that are directly in the warehouse would have gotten wind of this sooner. Now this is not to come down on Peace's guy, he may just be relating a story he heard. But gossip is gossip.

I wouldn't get too heated. The guy is an agent, not related to Bedard in any way. this was a rumor that came out of a Toronto newspaper last year and was wisely regarded as gossip then.

I honestly think if this happened the sources we have that are directly in the warehouse would have gotten wind of this sooner. Now this is not to come down on Peace's guy, he may just be relating a story he heard. But gossip is gossip.

Why would the Orioles spread it around the Warehouse that they screwed up negotiations with Bedard? That's something you'd want to keep quiet...

This post from me went sort of ignored when I posted it, but I'll post it again here. Its from this past Saturday:

I was listening to sports talk 980 this morning and there is this show about baseball, focusing on the nationals and orioles mostly, that comes on every Saturday morning. I know the host of that show has been hosting for a while, but I can't remember his name.

Now, I listened to him maybe three weeks ago, and he is talking about Mazzone and the job he has done and at one point he said "I have heard that some pitchers aren't real happy with some of Mazzone's methods" and he then said "and I know for a fact one of them is Erik Bedard". I don't make too much of it, but it was interesting to hear.

Today I was listening, and I tuned in right in the middle of him talking about Bedard with a caller.

I tuned in and the first thing I hear him talking about is Bedard's lack of interaction in the media and in the middle of his rant, he said "he doesn't have a favorable view of media, he doesn't have a favorable view of Mazzone, and he doesn't have a favorable view of the franchise" and then static kind of set in and I think he went on about the possibility of the Orioles resigning him.

I've listened to the guy before and I don't view him as a guy who needlessly bashes the Orioles or has some hatred of them. But he seems pretty confident in his knowledge about Bedard's feelings and while we can act like his perceptions are biased because he doesn't like Bedard's treatment of the media, it also sounds like he is hearing things.

You know the saying: where there is smoke, there is fire.

You think Boston would have learned by now. Them trading their young prospects hasn't exactly been good. Didn't kill them, but I bet they wish they had Hanley Ramirez right about now.

Before I address this, let me introduce myself. I'm a member over at SoSH, have been since February 2003 and came across this board a few years ago when BB was discussing the Manny for Tejada rumors. You guys are great here. It's a testament to your loyalty that you still manage to root so passionately for the O's, even after PA has done his best to derail the franchise. With that being said, I hope you're able to re-sign Bedard and have some continuity within the organization.

As for Hanley Ramirez: yes, we'd love to him have, but Josh Beckett is looking like a bonafide ace (3.41 ERA, 8.57 K/9, K/BB > 4) and Mike Lowell may well be the greatest "throw in" of any trade in recent memory. And at this point, Hanley should be moved to CF, because he's been down-right awful at SS.

Now onto Teixeira..another poster over at SoSH posted a similar rumor last week. His source mentioned Youkilis's and Lester's name in a trade rumor for Mark Teixeira. Putting aside my sentimental feelings for a second, I believe now is the time to deal Jon Lester. As recently as two seasons ago, Lester was one of the top 15 prospects in the game. Since then, his lack of command has affected him as he's climbed the organizational ladder, leading to high pitch counts, plenty of baserunners (1.65 WHIP) and questions about his future. Two years ago, we at SoSH thought he'd be a future ace, but at this point he's looking like a #3 starter.

I'd pull the trigger on this deal.

We don't if we are smart. We use the deadline and sell high right now. If he basically told the Orioles he'd veto any extension, he's gone in 2009. We can easily get three top prospects for Bedard and one of them could be our next 1B man

Oh F THAT! No offense to Peace21 (and thanks for posting) but this is still speculation from a guy who knows a guy in the organization. And this speculation is from last offseason, before MacPhail was here. If IF we were stupid and cheap enough to lowball Erikkk in the offseason, he has MORE than shown that that thinking was short-sighted. (And I'm guessing more than a little responsible for that Toronto Sun article...)

Erikkk has MORE than stepped up this year and shown his true potential. Anyone who NOW thinks we should "sell high" right now is just frickin' blind! Bedard is THE ace we have been waiting for since Moose left. Anymore talk about trading him cuz "his value is at it's highest right now" :rolleyes: I'm going to rip said poster a new one!

WTF do you people want??? We have one of the best pitchers in the major leagues! And now you want to trade him because his value is at it's highest. His value is just going to KEEP rising. Why not, say, have him pitching for US???

idiot.

And the inevitable... Pay. The. Man! Period.

Well, this is a good time to trade Bedard.

Who knows if that story is true or not or who knows if it is partially true but embellished some.

Bottom line is we should be approaching him with an extension and if he isn't interested, then we should look to trade him sooner than later.

It's not that he's not interested. It's on Peace21's rumor that we lowballed him. Our OLD FO lowballed him! If we approach him with a commensurate offer... then we can keep our ACE in the fold.

But his value is probably higher now.

Go to him with a market value extension(4/40ish)...If he isn't interested, trade him now.

You would have traded Palmer in '66? And then gloated about how smart you were when he was DLed in '67? Sometimes you guys have to step the frick back and see the big picture! :rolleyes: Jesus!

Archived