A Few Developments

Peace21

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the Baltimore Orioles, we don't trade pitchers that are going to walk -see Ryan, B.J. We'd rather keep said player because we are going to compete, waste draft picks on medicocre signings, keep all our young pitching until it shows it is ineffective or gets injured (God forbid we trade any of it, cause one day they'll all be aces) That's the plan!

BJ Ryan

1) signed the richest contract in the history of closers, should we have signed him earlier? Yes, but with Ray here there was no urgency to throw money at Ryan.

2) Should we have traded him? Yes. This is a glaring mistake.

But you know what, in the past! Its not like he is hurting us. The Jays made a huge mistake giving him that money, he has had season ending surgery and there is not telling how he will recover from it next year. I have often said that he will not see year 3 of that contract in Toronto, I stick by it.

Also, the Orioles HAVE traded young pitching before. Those trades have had debatable success (ie Maine.) But they HAVE done it before. The reason they did not trade BJ Ryan is because the Orioles thought they could resign him, then the Jays made him the richest closer in the history of the game.

Would YOU have given him that contract?

I'm not too sure that the question was answered. I don't mean to be rude here because you're offering the information up without being required to under any circumstances... But I don't understand the "hence he's head of baseball operations" part, nor do I understand how it's related to a lowball offer prior to him being in the organization.

Ok Im saying now that Macpahil is encharge hopefully philosophies will change. And hopefully low ball offers will stop and our GM's dont have to run to PA to get approval.

Not necessarily in the short run. He is still under the clubs control for quite a while so while trading him now might net the best return there isn't really a sense of urgency. That applies even if we knew w/100% certainty that an extension was impossible.

They can sit down in the offseason, tell him that the MacPhail way is different and try to sell him on signing an extension. If not they'll still get a ton of value next July if he pitches well.

Bingo. I compeletely agree.

It's interesting to note that there isn't a scent of this "potential deal" on the SOSH board, where the fans are as diehard as those here on OH.

Thats because it just went public in agent circles today. It was news to me when my guy told me.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Where in the rules does it state this? I mean, it makes sense I guess.
    • Gametime:  4:05 pm Forecast:  MId 50s to low 60s, cloudy, chance of rain Promotion:  Brandon Hyde Bobblehead, gates open early and music on Eutaw Street Matchup:  JP Sears (L) vs Cole Irvin (L) Lineups Later -- I will not be around, someone else will have to add them  
    • If you "reconstruct the inning without the errors" that means you replay the inning without the ghost runner.   So on that ground ball that got the runner at the plate, you now assume Langeliers would have been thrown out at first.
    • So I looked up the rule book and I can't find anything that says this is the case. Maybe I'm missing it because the rules for unearned runs can be convuluted to say the least. "For purposes of calculating earned runs under Rule 9.16, the runner who begins an inning on second base pursuant to this rule shall be deemed to be a runner who has reached second base because of a fielding error, but no error shall be charged to the opposing team or to any player. For purposes of Rule 9.02, the Official Scorer shall keep records of the number of times each batter and runner is placed at second base in accordance with this rule." In the rulebook under unearned runs it states, "An earned run is a run for which a pitcher is held accountable. In determining earned runs, the Official Scorer shall reconstruct the inning without the errors (which exclude catcher’s interference) and passed balls, giving the benefit of the doubt always to the pitcher in determining which bases would have been reached by runners had there been errorless play. For the purpose of determining earned runs, an intentional base on balls, regardless of the circumstances, shall be construed in exactly the same manner as any other base on balls. (a)  The Official Scorer shall charge an earned run against a pitcher every time a runner reaches home base by the aid of safe hits, sacrifice bunts, a sacrifice fly, stolen bases, putouts, fielder’s choices, bases on balls, hit batters, balks or wild pitches (including a wild pitch on third strike that permits a batter to reach first base) before fielding chances have been offered to put out the offensive team. For the purpose of this rule, a defensive interference penalty shall be construed as a fielding chance. A wild pitch is solely the pitcher’s fault and shall contribute to an earned run just as a base on balls or a balk." I don't see where it states a batter that reaches on a fielder's choice due to a runner being being on due to error.   
    • Joe Posnanski wrote a wonderful book, called “The Baseball 100,” his 100 greatest players. It’s full of wonderful quotes, but it leaves out a quote that is not just all of Baseball in three words, but that applies to all of life. ”Sometimes you suck.” Adam Jones. God bless Adam Jones. Yes, Hyde makes boneheaded decisions almost every game. Yes Mike should have done this or not done that, Yes Cowser shouldn’t have thrown that way, Ryan shouldn’t have missed the fly, yada yada. I was screaming as loud as anyone. My wife said,”I thought you liked baseball,” But now it’s tomorrow.  “Sometimes you suck.” Charge on.
  • Popular Contributors