A Few Developments

Peace21

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/07/24/tuesday.scoop/index.html

Texas' surprisingly poor showing has put extra pressure on Daniels to make a perfect deal. But the guess here is, despite a recent premium put on Grade-A prospects (the White Sox found no one willing to surrender any for Mark Buehrle, for instance), Daniels gets it done.

It's a tough call to trade him since keeping Teixeira would give Texas a better shot to win next year than they would have without him. However, he's hitting well and his value is enhanced now since an acquiring team would have the chance to keep him through the end of next season. Interested parties now could include some non-contenders and surprises. Next year, he transforms into a "rental" player.

Texas seeks two top major-league ready players, most likely from pitchers, outfielders or someone to replace Teixeira at first base.

Here's a rundown of the teams that are believed to have shown the most interest:

• Dodgers. GM Ned Colletti has sought additional power for months and has to decide whether to surrender touted first-base prospect James Loney. The Rangers surely would want top pitching prospect Clayton Kershaw (who happens to be from Dallas), but L.A. would be unlikely to let him go. The Dodgers do have other prospects to deal, and Colletti showed last summer he isn't afraid to shake things up.

• Angels. Like their geographic rival 45 minutes up the I-5 Freeway, they also have young players to dangle, including a first-base replacement in Casey Kotchman. However, one competing GM, knowing their recent history, speculated, "I doubt [Angels GM Bill Stoneman] will pull the trigger on anything.'' Stoneman's past does suggest he'll stand pat, although he apparently was willing to make a trade for Miguel Tejada before Orioles owner Peter Angelos killed it. But the Angels, whose lead over the Mariners in the AL West is a mere two games, should know this much: They could be one cleanup hitter from being a World Series favorite.

• Orioles. They'd probably consider surrendering talented, underachieving Daniel Cabrera and might well have the makings of a deal. Plus, their chances to keep Teixeira beyond '08 are enhanced by his personal preference to play at home. However, there's scuttlebutt that new club president Andy MacPhail is hesitant to recommend such a large long-term expenditure.

• Red Sox. They have young pitchers that would interest Texas, such as Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester, whose return Monday after battling cancer was emotional and successful. The comeback from cancer might also have served as a showcase, according to reports. The Sox also have top outfield prospect Jacoby Ellsbury.

• Yankees. The Yankees have said they won't trade any of their top pitching prospects, including Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy or Alan Horne, so they look like a long shot.

• Tigers. It's doubtful they'd part with top young pitcher Andrew Miller or big-time outfield prospect Cameron Maybin. First baseman Sean Casey hasn't delivered much power, but Detroit doesn't appear to be heavily in the mix.

• Braves. Everyone loves Jarrod Saltalamacchia (but presumably Atlanta does too), and the Braves also have shortstop prospect Yunel Escobar, who isn't really needed in Texas, which has Michael Young signed through eternity. Perhaps they'd like to give it their best shot in what may be the last year for Andruw Jones but appear to need a starting pitcher more than even a first baseman. They look like a long shot from here for Teixeira.

• Giants. They were mentioned in earlier talks, but perhaps that was before they fell out of the race. Besides, if they couldn't think of dealing Tim Lincecum or Matt Cain, where would they find positional prospects to trade?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not a chance.

Why not, one of he best CF in the game, you have him thruogh 2011 for reasonable money at the rate Jones and Hunter will be paid. We might be able to put together a contender by then. We have Bedard for 2 years. A trade for a Milledge, Gomez, Pelfry type package would be nice but it's not likely to happen and none of these guys is a sure thing.

Why not, one of he best CF in the game, you have him thruogh 2011 for reasonable money at the rate Jones and Hunter will be paid. We might be able to put together a contender by then. We have Bedard for 2 years. A trade for a Milledge, Gomez, Pelfry type package would be nice but it's not likely to happen and none of these guys is a sure thing.

Cause he's 31 years old and making a buttload of money. We could do a lot better than that. There is of course risk with going with young guys but there's a high potential return on that risk.

Trading Bedard for Beltran doesn't make us a better team at all.

How about Pujols for Bedard and Millar?

If I were to trade Bedard I wouldn't want to do it on a one for one deal (or one for two in this case). I'd much rather take a package of young guys. Trading our ace for one superstar doesn't make us an immensely better club IMO.

If I were to trade Bedard I wouldn't want to do it on a one for one deal (or one for two in this case). I'd much rather take a package of young guys. Trading our ace for one superstar doesn't make us an immensely better club IMO.

You're kidding me? I would give up half the team, Sports Guy, Leitch, and EVEN Burds for Pujols!

The odds are from a package of young guys you are lucky to get one impact player. Are you willing to trade Bedard for three guya one of whom is maybe Markakis and the other two are most likely Larry Bigbie?

The odds are from a package of young guys you are lucky to get one impact player. Are you willing to trade Bedard for three guya one of whom is maybe Markakis and the other two are most likely Larry Bigbie?

Yes. We are not going to contend in the 2.5 years we still have Bedard, so by getting a Markakis type player back, we would get younger and cheaper, which gives time for the prospects in the minors to develop. Then, hopefully, Loewen will become the next Bedard and we will be in contention during his prime.

I'm willing to take that risk, yes. This team needs to get younger.

I disagree. Look at the packages received for top of the rotation caliber starters and you'd be unlucky not to come out ahead considering Bedard w/his contract status should be more valuable than just about all the recent examples.

Archived