Diplan and Dusten Knight joining team

eddie83

38 minutes ago, Philip said:

Is there any reason we are protecting him now? Asking for a friend…

Who do you want to bring up and replace him?   We're already bringing up plenty of dregs.

Oh wait, I know your answer:  "someone" at AAA who has to be better, but you don't know who.   Heard it 100 times.

Nobody runs a team thinking about "who should I get rid of now?"   They decide who to bring up, and THEN decide who to get rid of.    But all you do is gripe about guys who aren't doing well and say we should "get rid of" them and bring "someone else" up.   That's bass-ackwards thinking.   Fans can think that way but no one running a team is basing any decisions on who they want to get rid of.

It's so lame and tired.  And it's not how a team is run.   And there's probably not a team in baseball that doesn't have at least one Plutko level player in their bullpen.   He's stayed healthy, he's eaten some innings when starters have gotten knocked out early, he actually was very good in the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season.   He's not a good major league pitcher, but he probably is at least a major league pitcher.   I won't cry any tears when we let him go, whether it's tomorrow or after the season.  But the idea that we "have to get rid of him" just to be rid of him is absurd.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am interested in the answer to this question because I had them also.

I would think that @Philip might donate one of his finest "vin ordinaires" from his cellar.  After all, he likes seeing "new blood".  ?. btw - I am kidding, of course.  ?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Who do you want to bring up and replace him?   We're already bringing up plenty of dregs.

Oh wait, I know your answer:  "someone" at AAA who has to be better, but you don't know who.   Heard it 100 times.

Nobody runs a team thinking about "who should I get rid of now?"   They decide who to bring up, and THEN decide who to get rid of.    But all you do is gripe about guys who aren't doing well and say we should "get rid of" them and bring "someone else" up.   That's bass-ackwards thinking.   Fans can think that way but no one running a team is basing any decisions on who they want to get rid of.

It's so lame and tired.  And it's not how a team is run.   And there's probably not a team in baseball that doesn't have at least one Plutko level player in their bullpen.   He's stayed healthy, he's eaten some innings when starters have gotten knocked out early, he actually was very good in the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season.   He's not a good major league pitcher, but he probably is at least a major league pitcher.   I won't cry any tears when we let him go, whether it's tomorrow or after the season.  But the idea that we "have to get rid of him" just to be rid of him is absurd.   

True in most cases but there are the Chris Davis and Alberto Bell situations.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

there's probably not a team in baseball that doesn't have at least one Plutko level player in their bullpen.   He's stayed healthy, he's eaten some innings when starters have gotten knocked out early, he actually was very good in the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season.   He's not a good major league pitcher, but he probably is at least a major league pitcher.   

He had a 1.27 ERA as late as May 14, and has had an 8.35 ERA since then.  What the heck happened?   No I don’t think he’s a 1.27 ERA pitcher, but neither do I think he’s an 8.35 guy.   His overall 5.53 is pretty closely in line with his career 5.13.  Would be nice if he could at least return to that level for the next two months.   

1 hour ago, Philip said:

There are several guys to release before releasing Lopez. His biggest problem this season has been the manager insisting that he Continue to pitch even after he has shown that he is done for the day.

His biggest problem is he is not a good pitcher. He has a horrible ERA in the 5th & 6th but it's not like he is shutting anyone down in the 1st-4th. I am fine with keeping him as long as there is no better alternative but that is the only argument for keeping him.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

His biggest problem is he is not a good pitcher. He has a horrible ERA in the 5th & 6th but it's not like he is shutting anyone down in the 1st-4th. I am fine with keeping him as long as there is no better alternative but that is the only argument for keeping him.

He has a 4.29 ERA in his first four innings, which is certainly very respectable.   And I’d say he had quite a few outings where he was extremely good through four.   He’s been shelled a couple of times early, including a game I attended in person.  

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

$50 of OriolesCash that can only be used for playoff games in 2021.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He has a 4.29 ERA in his first four innings, which is certainly very respectable.   And I’d say he had quite a few outings where he was extremely good through four.   He’s been shelled a couple of times early, including a game I attended in person.  

I was looking at career numbers where he is above 5 every inning. This year 4.91 in the 1st and 3rd. Best has been the 4th. I don't see a real pattern or reason to believe he will be a successful reliever. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Injuries and pitch limits for prospects.   We may see a lot of tried arm in August and Sept.   Elias probably wants to hold to his pitching inventory as much as possible.  Most of the pitchers Elias DFAs he probably figures will pass through waivers.  Plutko because of his major league experience will probably no make it through waivers. Many MLB teams will experience a pitching shortage over the next two months.

Except he’s terrible. Does anybody care if he gets claimed? Except the unfortunate team that claims him?

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

The answer I always give to your question is entirely legitimate, and I always give it because it’s always legitimate, and it’s probably pretty silly of you to continue to ask. Pluto is terrible. No matter how bad anybody in the minors is they can’t be worse, and they might be better, and if they are better they might possibly be part of the future, or at least part of next season.

Do you think Plutko is part of next season? If you don’t, then you are agreeing with me that there’s no reason to keep him now, on the grounds that someone might be better.

You are suggesting that we should only replace him if somebody is demonstrably better, and I disagree.

I think we should only not replace him if someone else is demonstrably worse. He doesn’t eat innings, he doesn’t “save the day” he doesn’t “Save the pen” he just annoys Baltimore fans. And as many have said, now is the time to bring up the warm bodies and throw them i to the fray.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

The answer I always give to your question is entirely legitimate, and I always give it because it’s always legitimate, and it’s probably pretty silly of you to continue to ask. Pluto is terrible. No matter how bad anybody in the minors is they can’t be worse, and they might be better, and if they are better they might possibly be part of the future, or at least part of next season.

Do you think Plutko is part of next season? If you don’t, then you are agreeing with me that there’s no reason to keep him now, on the grounds that someone might be better.

You are suggesting that we should only replace him if somebody is demonstrably better, and I disagree.

I think we should only not replace him if someone else is demonstrably worse. He doesn’t eat innings, he doesn’t “save the day” he doesn’t “Save the pen” he just annoys Baltimore fans. And as many have said, now is the time to bring up the warm bodies and throw them i to the fray.

I disagree with your premise that a random AAA guy is bound to be better than a guy who has been in MLB for several years and put up a 5ish ERA.

We've churned through over 30 pitchers this year and somehow it's not enough for you.  We've been bringing up guys all year.  YOU asked for Shaun Anderson (he is one of those"anybody's" you have begged for all year).  And as soon as you got him you were begging to get rid of him.  We may set a record this year for using the most pitchers and it's not enough for you.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Plutko is here to eat innings. Nothing more, nothing less. He will be DFA'd to make room on the 40-man after the season or before if they pick up someone from the waiver wire who they want to evaluate.