Your 2022 FA Wish List

Il BuonO

I have no idea when Elias would make a big FA splash, but just following the strategy from the last few years…

I think we need 2 SP’s and 2 IF’s to fill out the roster. One major league deal and one minor league deal(but with a great chance to make the roster). Off the top of my head:

1. Chris Archer

2. Matt Harvey

3. Matt Duffy

4. Tim Beckham 

Just the caliber of players I was thinking. Lots of other names that fit that mold. Although I could see management wanting an actual shortstop first player likes Galvis/Iglesias. 

13 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I have no idea when Elias would make a big FA splash, but just following the strategy from the last few years…

I think we need 2 SP’s and 2 IF’s to fill out the roster. One major league deal and one minor league deal(but with a great chance to make the roster). Off the top of my head:

1. Chris Archer

2. Matt Harvey

3. Matt Duffy

4. Tim Beckham 

Just the caliber of players I was thinking. Lots of other names that fit that mold. Although I could see management wanting an actual shortstop first player likes Galvis/Iglesias. 

Tim Beckham hasn’t played since 2019. 

15 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

.279/.330/.545 in 45 AAA games in 2021. Always had an average major league stick. May not be much of a shortstop anymore though. 

I must’ve looked at ML only. Either way, I’d rather give ABs to someone like Mateo or Gutierrez. Beckham has no future here. 

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Because they’re major league players. 

Loose term applied to Franco. No chance Beckham isn’t more of a ball player than him. 

But yes, every team needs major league players. They also need passable players beyond their starting 9 and 26 man roster. I think a Beckham like infielder should be/will be brought in on a minor league deal to fill a spot like that in addition to a more established major league regular infielder. This team did give 300 plate appearances to Pat Valaika. The idea would be to have those 300 be of better quality. Ideally they’re taken by major league ready prospects, but we seem to be light on that front at the moment. 

Matt Harvey, Wade LeBlanc, and King Felix didn’t think have a future here but were still brought in and didn’t block a soul. 

Just weird to deny any depth signing in Baltimore cause they don’t have a future here. 

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

Loose term applied to Franco. No chance Beckham isn’t more of a ball player than him. 

But yes, every team needs major league players. They also need passable players beyond their starting 9 and 26 man roster. I think a Beckham like infielder should be/will be brought in on a minor league deal to fill a spot like that in addition to a more established major league regular infielder. This team did give 300 plate appearances to Pat Valaika. The idea would be to have those 300 be of better quality. Ideally they’re taken by major league ready prospects, but we seem to be light on that front at the moment. 

Matt Harvey, Wade LeBlanc, and King Felix didn’t think have a future here but were still brought in and didn’t block a soul. 

Just weird to deny any depth signing in Baltimore cause they don’t have a future here. 

Franco vs. Beckham isn’t exactly the battle of the Titans.   But Franco is three years younger and was coming off a pretty decent 60-game season in KC, whereas Beckham hasn’t played in the majors since 2019.   Franco was better in 2020 than Beckham was in 2019, and as I said, three years younger.   

I do think you’re right though that whether the player has a future in Baltimore isn’t really the test for some of these signings.   I certainly had no illusion that Galvis or Franco was a long term piece for us.   Galvis did his job, Franco didn’t.    That’s often the way it goes with these low-end signings.   

On 10/6/2021 at 10:37 AM, Hazmat said:

Per MLB TR, the Rockies are focused on re-signing Gray and the Padres are targeting Stroman.  

Let's add Andrew Heaney to the list of realistic SP options for the O's:

Kuhl, Velasquez, Quintana, Heaney

Please no on Heaney.

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Franco vs. Beckham isn’t exactly the battle of the Titans.   But Franco is three years younger and was coming off a pretty decent 60-game season in KC, whereas Beckham hasn’t played in the majors since 2019.   Franco was better in 2020 than Beckham was in 2019, and as I said, three years younger.   

I do think you’re right though that whether the player has a future in Baltimore isn’t really the test for some of these signings.   I certainly had no illusion that Galvis or Franco was a long term piece for us.   Galvis did his job, Franco didn’t.    That’s often the way it goes with these low-end signings.   

Right, and every major league team will make them every off-season. Whether they're contending or tanking. 

And their pedigrees are exactly why I said Beckham (or a player like him) would be brought in on a minor league contract whereas Franco was brought in on a major league deal. We will certainly need players other than Ramon Urias, Jorge Mateo, and Kelvin Gutierrez to fill the 2,000 plate appearances or so at 2B, 3B, and SS, even if those 3 are somehow all declared our starters on Opening Day 2022. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

There is no scenario in which signing Tim Beckham to play shortstop can be justified. I'd rather let Richie Martin sink or swim. Beckham was a bad defensive SS a few years ago and I doubt his defense has improved with age. 

Given my choice between Tim Beckham and Richie Martin, I’d probably jump off a bridge.   

That said, Martin hasn’t shown himself to be any better at fielding than Beckham, and he’s certainly the inferior hitter.   

I prefer Mateo to Martin by a wide margin.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Given my choice between Tim Beckham and Richie Martin, I’d probably jump off a bridge.   

That said, Martin hasn’t shown himself to be any better at fielding than Beckham, and he’s certainly the inferior hitter.   

I prefer Mateo to Martin by a wide margin.   

I'd probably do the same. Mateo is also my choice since I don't see a legit free agent SS being signed this offseason. 

19 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

There is no scenario in which signing Tim Beckham to play shortstop can be justified. I'd rather let Richie Martin sink or swim. Beckham was a bad defensive SS a few years ago and I doubt his defense has improved with age. 

Richie Martin has sank. No problem with him being one of the first cuts off the 40-man. 

Don't think anyone suggested we sign Tim Beckham to be our shortstop.