Your 2022 FA Wish List

Il BuonO

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That or your team offers the most money.  Time and time again, players have signed with teams that couldn't have been their first choice, but go with the money.  Would be good to sign a nice free agent or two.  Just solid veterans who could be regulars and help the team.  The O's really need a free agent starter and a middle infielder.  The O's will probably sign 5 trash guys instead of 2 solid free agents. 

Players often sign with the team that offers more money.

but...

A. a profoundly losing team is unlikely to be the team that offers that money.

B. all things being equal (or even close) good players don't sign with horrible teams for a few dollars more than offered by winning teams.

C. the better the player, the more likely A and B are to be true.

The O's could use a starter and someone to plug into the left side of the infield. They don't have to be awesome... just a little positive WAR will go a long way if it displaces negative WAR.

I think it's a little naive to think that the O's can sign 1st tier free agents even if they wanted to.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That or your team offers the most money.  Time and time again, players have signed with teams that couldn't have been their first choice, but go with the money.  Would be good to sign a nice free agent or two.  Just solid veterans who could be regulars and help the team.  The O's really need a free agent starter and a middle infielder.  The O's will probably sign 5 trash guys instead of 2 solid free agents. 

In that case they want to play for your team because you offer the most money.

Personally, I’d love to land Javy Baez. Start him at SS, but there’s flexibility if he needs to move around some once prospects come up. Won’t break the bank. Been on winning teams. Power could play up in OPACY.

Add him and a SP (or preferably two) and the team becomes much more respectable fairly quickly. 

I don’t think this is the time to lock players into a position for 4+ But if you have a guy (like Baez) that can move around, that brings tremendous value.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/daniels-rangers-willing-to-consider-long-term-free-agent-contracts-this-winter.html

Does the willingness of Texas to sign a FA to a long term deal put the onus on the Orioles? They weren’t much better than Baltimore and they now have approval from ownership to target some high profile talent.

10 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/daniels-rangers-willing-to-consider-long-term-free-agent-contracts-this-winter.html

Does the willingness of Texas to sign a FA to a long term deal put the onus on the Orioles? They weren’t much better than Baltimore and they now have approval from ownership to target some high profile talent.

I don't think so. 

I don't think ownership cares what the Rangers are doing.

10 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

ERod would be a positive addition. Not the headliner I’m looking for, but he’d be a contributor.

Jokes aside, I would actually pursue E-Rod pretty aggressively (but probably not Davies). He's still fairly young and has found sustained success in the AL East since we traded him, and his 2021 seemed to show that his health issues from last year are behind him. Doubt he would sign with us when present or near-term contenders are likely to also be looking at him but I would still force him to turn down a reasonably robust offer.

2 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Jokes aside, I would actually pursue E-Rod pretty aggressively (but probably not Davies). He's still fairly young and has found sustained success in the AL East since we traded him, and his 2021 seemed to show that his health issues from last year are behind him. Doubt he would sign with us when present or near-term contenders are likely to also be looking at him but I would still force him to turn down a reasonably robust offer.

I've set aside my long nursed Correa daydream, but I am ready to resuscitate if only Mike Elias would kindly copycat the "It's My Time" celebration of Correa and Eduardo.    I kind of felt Eduardo was riding the coattails as much as poking the bear there a few days ago.

The quality of the shortstop will stay a good proxy for how the Front Office regards the MLB team, and I guess in 2022 there will be some good information given if one of Henderson or Westburg can actually hold down the position for the next good team.

I don't believe in the winter of '21-'22 this regime will care about buying seasons of the planet's best pitchers because how in the world could you guess what their health status will be when the team regains relevance in '23 or '24?   I am still hopeful for being in the market for a half-season of one of the best in July 2023 when we have a view of who is in good form another 45-50 turns from now.

In a vacuum, my priorities this offseason are to add a solid #3 starter, a third baseman, and a solid defensive catcher to spell Rutschman over the next few seasons. Means, Rodriguez, Hall, Ellis, Zimmerman, Baumann, Bradish, Akin, Lowther, Kremer, A. Wells are all candidates for the rotation in '22. I'd consider using '22 to break in Baumann and Bradish in the bullpen while giving more starter chances to the Zimmerman, Akin, Lowther, Kremer, Wells group (in BAL or NOR). I don't care if the third baseman is a short term addition, but it's a clear place we can upgrade our offense. Having Stowers, Westburg, Vavra, Jones, Neustrom, Rom in AAA next year gives us some ready depth if/when injuries/disappointments occur. Norfolk should have a pretty good team next year! I'd remain poised to deal Mancini, Santander this offseason or during '22 if the right deal presented itself. That sum total is far more encouraging than where we were a year ago. 

On 10/21/2021 at 7:39 PM, Just Regular said:

I don't believe in the winter of '21-'22 this regime will care about buying seasons of the planet's best pitchers because how in the world could you guess what their health status will be when the team regains relevance in '23 or '24? 

I don't think we'll be shopping from the top shelf of free agency this offseason either, but signing a quality veteran SP to a reasonable multiyear deal should still be on the table, imo. This year's crop of free agent starters is deeper than usual and being able to check off one rotation spot for the next 3 or 4 years, even if not one of the top of the rotation spots, would help the bullpen out and be one less thing to worry about as we begin to aspire towards playing meaningful games in a year or two.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:28 AM, Ruzious said:

Ed-Rod yes, Davies no, and Melewski's options plech.    

I was kidding about Davies, he looks just about ready to turn back into a pumpkin lol.

MLBTR is reporting that Jon Gray is likely going to be seeking a 3 or 4 year deal at $9-10 million per year on the open market this offseason after rejecting a recent extension off from the Rockies. If that is true, I would be all over that. Since the start of 2019, he has pitched to a 4.50 ERA/4.25 FIP/111 ERA+ in 338 innings across 63 games (62 starts) with an 8.8 K9, 1.2 HR9, and 3.3 BB9, all while pitching in the thin air of Colorado half the time.

He's obviously no ace but he's not terribly old (finished the 2021 season at age 29) and he has proven that he can hang in a high offense environment like Coors Field, which I think would likely translate well to the AL East. I'd offer him 3 years at $9 million per, with a club option for a 4th year at $13 million with a $3 million buyout, making it either a 3/$30 million or 4/$40 million deal in total. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/jon-gray-has-reportedly-rejected-extension-offer-from-rockies.html