Valaika DFA. Mateo replaces him

eddie83

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

I'm not going to add another mound of statistics to show how wrong you are about Villar. I'll just say that all the Mets fans that were Meh about him and disagreed with me in the spring about how good an acquisition he was for them have all had to eat crow. He has saved their infield throughout this season not only by filling in at second and then at third and now at SS when McNeil, Davis, Guillorme, and Lindor all fell out, but now has the fourth most AB's on the team and their third best OPS+. He either leads off or bats in the middle of the lineup. A guy who stole 62 bases for the Brewers and played in all 162 games for the 2019 O's and quickly became my favorite player and I wish we could have afforded to keep is not someone you just dump when it's time to contend, as the Mets have learned.

If Villar was your favorite player, that’s fine. 

Although it is a digression from my original comment about the Pitching arms that were mentioned mentioned not being part of our next good team, I mentioned him As an example, and it remains true.

Edited by Philip

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Delmon Young had a career of nine years and 3.2 WAR.
I don’t know why you’re being so contentious, I’m not saying anything controversial when I say that the pitchers that were mentioned will not be a part of our next good team. If you want to disagree with that, fine go ahead.

Because you are constantly acting like flawed players don’t have a spot in the majors or on contending teams and you couldn’t be more wrong about it.

Sure, pitchers X, Y and Z may not be here but there will be guys just like them Who will be.  

Guys who suck at defense will be on good teams.  Guys who can’t hit well will be on good teams.  It’s what happens and always has Happened and always will happen.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because you are constantly acting like flawed players don’t have a spot in the majors or on contending teams and you couldn’t be more wrong about it.

Sure, pitchers X, Y and Z may not be here but there will be guys just like them Who will be.  

Guys who suck at defense will be on good teams.  Guys who can’t hit well will be on good teams.  It’s what happens and always has Happened and always will happen.

OK gosh, why is this so difficult. You haven’t said anything I disagree with.

Almost none of the guys we currently have on the roster will be on our next good team.

I specifically mentioned somebody like McKenna as possibly being on our next good team even though he can’t hit or are you so blinded by your anger that you missed that comment. I specifically mentioned someone like Endy Chavez Who couldn’t hit but was valuable.

On the flipside I have in the past mentioned other players who were not valuable because they couldn’t do anything, and I’ve also said that guys who are weak in one area must be outstanding in another area or their presence is not required on a seriously contending team. This is not rocket science.

Let me clarify. Every team has imperfect players, and that goes without saying and I never suggested otherwise. However no team does or should retain a player who is considered an overall detriment. Sometimes that is in evitable as with the Orioles, we’re almost everybody is an overall detriment. But with a contending team that doesn’t have those limits, and does have higher standards, the degree of flaw that will be accepted is smaller.

Villar was an example of someone who was traded Away by team that got good enough to trade him. 
The pitchers I referred to probably aren’t good enough to be on a contending team.

Edited by Philip

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Excellent assessment.