Who will be Elias’ Wei-Yin Chen?

Sports Guy

It's important to remember that our last contending club was largely built by MacPhail (though that isn't the important part) massively fleecing other teams in trades (that's the important part.)

It was only possible because of the tons and tons of surplus value we received in trades.

Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, J.J. Hardy, Chris Davis we acquired for virtually nothing.

I don't who the massively undervalued player Elias should be targeting is- if I did I should have a job- but I do know we're not going to compete until he starts pulling some rabbits out of his ass.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, yark14 said:

It's early, but Mateo might be Elias' Chen.  Dude has game changing speed.  

Speed doesn’t matter if you can’t get on base.  He has proven to be a poor hitter as a professional.  I’m glad they took a chance on him And I hope he plays a lot but my guess is that he will be end up just another player who came out looking good and got people all excited, only to be forgotten a month later.

But he does have the tools to be that “one who got away” Type guy, so you try him out and see what happens.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Speed doesn’t matter if you can’t get on base.  He has proven to be a poor hitter as a professional.  I’m glad they took a chance on him And I hope he plays a lot but my guess is that he will be end up just another player who came out looking good and got people all excited, only to be forgotten a month later.

But he does have the tools to be that “one who got away” Type guy, so you try him out and see what happens.

He reminds me of Felix Pie.    Give him every chance to succeed;   

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Philip said:

For those who care, I just went and checked. The significant Oriole 2015 offseason pitching FA signings were O’Day, Wandy Rodriguez, and Yovanni Gallardo. Rich Hill was cheap, and I would have been happy to sign him.

Imagine if the O's had a first round pick instead of Gallardo.  Should be in the majors now, and possibly a piece or part of a trade.  Also imagine the O's had another 1st round pick instead of Jimenez.  That player would have been in the majors by now and also possibly a player of value who could be traded or part of the rebuild.  The way the O's used to give away draft picks was criminal.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Lopez has been better in two August starts (2.25 ERA), but in June & July he posted a 7.20 ERA. I think Lopez has talent, but he's ultimately a bullpen arm or possible opener. 

I’m just taking it one start at a time with Lopez.   He’s had two good starts in a row.   Good for him; now can he make it three?    I’m not looking any further ahead than that.   

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Imagine if the O's had a first round pick instead of Gallardo.  Should be in the majors now, and possibly a piece or part of a trade.  Also imagine the O's had another 1st round pick instead of Jimenez.  That player would have been in the majors by now and also possibly a player of value who could be traded or part of the rebuild.  The way the O's used to give away draft picks was criminal.

We're terrible now because of decisions that were made in 2016.  That's just the way it is.

11 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Jones's surplus value was from the team friendly deal Duquette signed him to as much as the Macphail trade. Unfortunately for his second big contract DD and ownership chose poorly. Of the top prospects I will be interested to see if any of them sign a team friendly deal.

This is true too.  I loved that extension at the time- though it was fairly controversial around here among some of the more knowledgeable fans at the time.