(Edit: Orioles get 1st pick after walkoff homer by Diamondbacks)

Greenpastures23

30 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

If they end up tied, what’s tiebreaker?

Tiebreaker is whoever had the worse record the previous year. In which case, both teams had identical records. Thus, the eventual tiebreaker is whoever had the worse record in 2019 which was the Orioles. So we win the tiebreaker.

I would have said going into the Texas series that Arizona was in the driver's seat.  However, now that the Rangers series is over and at worst, we're still tied with them, that now we take over the driver's seat with them having three games at home against Colorado to close the season. Of course, it could come down to whether or not Toronto still has a shot at the playoffs when we get there Friday. If so, they'll be playing like it's post season play against us. But if they've been eliminated by then, they'll have no incentive to win and would like nothing more than to make sure a division rival doesn't get the top draft pick.

Edited by hutchead
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hutchead said:

Tiebreaker is whoever had the worse record the previous year. In which case, both teams had identical records. Thus, the eventual tiebreaker is whoever had the worse record in 2019 which was the Orioles. So we win the tiebreaker.

I would have said going into the Texas series that Arizona was in the driver's seat.

Do you mean 2020? 

1 hour ago, hutchead said:

I would have said going into the Texas series that Arizona was in the driver's seat.  However, now that the Rangers series is over and at worst, we're still tied with them, that now we take over the driver's seat with them having three games at home against Colorado to close the season. Of course, it could come down to whether or not Toronto still has a shot at the playoffs when we get there Friday. If so, they'll be playing like it's post season play against us. But if they've been eliminated by then, they'll have no incentive to win and would like nothing more than to make sure a division rival doesn't get the top draft pick.

The Blue Jays will want to beat us no matter what, they won't lose on purpose in front of their fans just for us to not get the first pick.

Edited by Getz

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they don't put out the A team it will be to rest guys not to try and throw the game to hurt the O's draft.

Kind of the same thing. If they're out of it, they'll use the opportunity to rest their starters to get a look at their youngsters since they haven't had that chance since they've been in a pennant race. Plus, they'll be deflated for having been eliminated so we would get their worst effort. That's why I'm hoping they stay in it until the last day so we'll get their best effort.

18 minutes ago, hutchead said:

Kind of the same thing. If they're out of it, they'll use the opportunity to rest their starters to get a look at their youngsters since they haven't had that chance since they've been in a pennant race. Plus, they'll be deflated for having been eliminated so we would get their worst effort. That's why I'm hoping they stay in it until the last day so we'll get their best effort.

But it's not since the suggestion was that the Blue Jays would be motivated by trying to damage the O's draft order.  Which frankly I think is nonsense. 

I'm not even sure the rest of the AL east even consider the Orioles a rival.