Jorge Mateo 2021

interloper

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Well, looking it up might be worthwhile.  According to Al Bumbry Stats | Baseball-Reference.com, Bumbry played a total of 33 games in his career in RF (29 of them in 1973), while Baylor played 200 career games in RF.  Rettenmund didn't have much of an arm either, but RF was his position more than LF, and he did 81 games in RF in 1973.  Fwiw, Bumbry had a very weak arm - just like Baylor - and very similar to Mullins of the current O's.    

Thank you.   In 1973, Don Baylor started 96 games in LF and 0 games in RF.   Bumbry started 58 in LF 24 in RF an surprisingly 0 games in CF in 1973.   Coggins 56 in RF and 38 in CF.   Blair started 123 in CF.   Rettenmund started  71 in RF and 6 in LF.

40 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Baylor played almost exclusively in LF without even looking it up.   He had one of the worst arms ever even in LF.  Bumbry's was weak too but it was a cannon compared to Baylor's.   Coggins played CF and RF.   Blair, of course, played exclusively in CF when he played and that must mean that Rettenumd played most of his starts in RF.    Bumby played in LF and CF.

I believe Don Baylor's arm was as bad as it was because of an old football injury.

Just now, SteveA said:

I believe Don Baylor's arm was as bad as it was because of an old football injury.

Right. They said it was from a HS football injury.   Unfortunately, his arm was awful because of it.   I don't think I've seen one worse since then.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Oh, hey, I didn't mean this as snarky as it probably sounded. My bad. Definitely not trying to put anyone in their place with that comment.

Honestly, I didn't read the whole thread, I just have been feeling like he's been pretty lucky and it turns out that's maybe true upon looking up the numbers. I've really enjoyed watching him and agree with everything you've said here. I'm really just reminding myself to not get too excited about his current hot streak. 

Haha, I figured you weren't actually attacking a strawman. Just being a bit snarky myself, I guess. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Thank you.   In 1973, Don Baylor started 96 games in LF and 0 games in RF.   Bumbry started 58 in LF 24 in RF an surprisingly 0 games in CF in 1973.   Coggins 56 in RF and 38 in CF.   Blair started 123 in CF.   Rettenmund started  71 in RF and 6 in LF.

And in 1974, all of Bumbry's 65 OF starts were in... LF, Baylor had the other 97 starts in LF and 23 starts in RF, Merv... played for Cincy, Coggins started 71 times in RF and 26 in LF, Blair had the remaining 136 starts in CF.  And a fellow by the name of Jim Fuller (who's name doesn't ring a bell to me) started 48 games in RF, while the versatile Enos Cabell started 18 games in RF.    

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

And in 1974, all of Bumbry's 65 OF starts were in... LF, Baylor had the other 97 starts in LF and 23 starts in RF, Merv... played for Cincy, Coggins started 71 times in RF and 26 in LF, Blair had the remaining 136 starts in CF.  And a fellow by the name of Jim Fuller (who's name doesn't ring a bell to me) started 48 games in RF, while the versatile Enos Cabell started 18 games in RF.    

Edit - that's 26 in CF - not LF - for Coggins.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Jim Fuller was a minor league home run legend.  He was an intriguing prospect who graduated one level at a time and came up in 73 for a cup of coffee.   I believe the Yanks played the 74 season in Shea stadium while Yankee stadium was being renovated.   I saw a double header against the O's vs. Yanks and Fuller hit one of the hardest homeruns I've ever seen out to leftcenter.    He had a another shot with the Astros a couple of years later and then was out of baseball.   I believe he became somewhat of a softball legend as well after his ML career was over.   Dude was big and strong and also had a really strong arm.  He just struck out a lot and didn't take a walk either.   Look him up though.  His minor league numbers are pretty impressive.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=fuller003jam

Nonetheless, the prospect’s ability was recognized by one of the key men in the organization. Orioles manager Earl Weaver said, “With most batters an infielder has about a second to react when they hit the ball. When Fuller hits the ball right the outfielders have a second.”

This is a good read.

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/jim-fuller/

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Jim Fuller was a minor league home run legend.  He was an intriguing prospect who graduated one level at a time and came up in 73 for a cup of coffee.   I believe the Yanks played the 74 season in Shea stadium while Yankee stadium was being renovated.   I saw a double header against the O's vs. Yanks and Fuller hit one of the hardest homeruns I've ever seen out to leftcenter.    He had a another shot with the Astros a couple of years later and then was out of baseball.   I believe he became somewhat of a softball legend as well after his ML career was over.   Dude was big and strong and also had a really strong arm.  He just struck out a lot and didn't take a walk either.   Look him up though.  His minor league numbers are pretty impressive.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=fuller003jam

Nonetheless, the prospect’s ability was recognized by one of the key men in the organization. Orioles manager Earl Weaver said, “With most batters an infielder has about a second to react when they hit the ball. When Fuller hits the ball right the outfielders have a second.”

This is a good read.

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/jim-fuller/

Good stuff.  Yeah, he had some terrific minor league years with the O's - including AAA at age 22.  The high SO numbers must have scared people more back then they do now.  

The more I watch of Mateo the more I think he should be the very day SS in 2022. He's got all the tools and although he may make the occasional error, if he can continue to be an effective hitter above .720 OPS, i think he can be ok over there. He's some of his action at SS.

https://www.mlb.com/video/00u7jzgkdtP9kH55c356/reels/mateo-playing-ss-with-o-s

He's the first guy that Orioles have grabbed off the waiver wire that looks like he could end up a piece. 

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The more I watch of Mateo the more I think he should be the very day SS in 2022. He's got all the tools and although he may make the occasional error, if he can continue to be an effective hitter above .720 OPS, i think he can be ok over there. He's some of his action at SS.

He's the first guy that Orioles have grabbed off the waiver wire that looks like he could end up a piece. 

Really appreciate the videos. Thanks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Urias? Solid defense, high walk rate and .760 OPS. He doesn't have Mateo's crazy athleticism but still seems like at least a utility guy with possible upside as everyday 2B. I love his AB's on a team that sorely needs hitters with plate discipline. 

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes I like him too, he hasnt really been challenged too much yet in his 11 or so games but he hasnt failed the test either. Arm looks plenty strong enough. Mateo's elite speed and promising bat mean he brings something extra to the position. He easily has 25 SB speed if he played a full season. Maybe 15 HR power.