Anatomy of a struggling offense

Frobby

51 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I'm agreeing with you. 

But the logical conclusion of clutch not being a myth is that at some point the Orioles should overperform in RISP for as much of a sample size as they have underperformed their overall numbers in August.

I'm waiting, it will be lots of fun when it happens.

Well, I agree with that, too.  But like I said, a collective bunch of guys that are bad like this are much more likely to do what they're doing now, IMO.  

It would be a lot of fun if it ever did happen.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I'm agreeing with you. 

But the logical conclusion of clutch not being a myth is that at some point the Orioles should overperform in RISP for as much of a sample size as they have underperformed their overall numbers in August.

I'm waiting, it will be lots of fun when it happens.

These things don’t tend to even out over a single season.  But this year their monthly RISP numbers have varied a lot.

March/April: .594 OPS

May: .628

June: .783

July: .638

August to date: .405

So, four out of five months the RISP hitting has been well below the overall team OPS.   

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I’ve speculated Buck Britton is being groomed. Seems to get a lot of good notice. 

My former HS teammate coached him and Zack in CA. So, if he does get a ML managing job I’ll never hear the end of it. ?

Buck is definitely a good baseball guy. Good evaluator of talent as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

You've watched a lot more minors than most of us.   How have the fundamentals been in the various Orioles farm teams?

Not awful, but you do see those minor league mistakes here and there. A good example was the Aberdeen game the other night with runners on 1st and second, the hitter lined a ball into leftfield, the third baseman rightfully lined up the cut to home, but Gunnar Henderson did not cover third like he should have. The runner from 1st ended up at 3rd because no one covered the base until it was too late. 

But, that's kind of what you expect to see once in awhile in he minors. I don't expect it at the major league level.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Not awful, but you do see those minor league mistakes here and there. A good example was the Aberdeen game the other night with runners on 1st and second, the hitter lined a ball into leftfield, the third baseman rightfully lined up the cut to home, but Gunnar Henderson did not cover third like he should have. The runner from 1st ended up at 3rd because no one covered the base until it was too late. 

But, that's kind of what you expect to see once in awhile in he minors. I don't expect it at the major league level.

How about at the Oriole level, which is somewhere in between?  ?