I'm predicting Hyde will resign soon

GuidoSarducci

4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I would add that there can be value to continuity -- a team improving with the same manager in place.

But I buy your point that a manager "that is the best fit in one situation might be a poor fit in another." Can someone explain to me what about Hyde makes him a good fit for the current situation, other than what I think facts most of us assume: his willingness to work cheap and to keep his mouth shut about who is and isn't on the 26-man roster?

No idea.  I'm not there. 

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wouldn't it be easier just to get Brady to manage the team.  Hyde is never going to get himself in that kind of shape.

I hear you. But if they Hyde got REALLY motivated and got super fit then just think of the Rocky-like montage of training and dieting clips that the O's could play for their players. I think that would motivate significantly more WAR out of players than just a Brady bump. But I do like your thinking. 

31 minutes ago, Philip said:

I didn’t suggest that, I don’t think. I suggested that a better motivator would first motivate himself. A better leader would set an example. I shared my reasons why I don’t think he’s a good manager.

? Yeah, now that I think about it more it would be really, really, really dumb to connect Hyde's fitness level to how the Orioles team has performed. ?

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

I hear you. But if they Hyde got REALLY motivated and got super fit then just think of the Rocky-like montage of training and dieting clips that the O's could play for their players. I think that would motivate significantly more WAR out of players than just a Brady bump. But I do like your thinking. 

Do you think it's a coincidence that the Giants are playing so well?

4962f7ed7e49d9f08b4c8335848763e9--tamale

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think it's a coincidence that the Giants are playing so well?

4962f7ed7e49d9f08b4c8335848763e9--tamale

How did the Giants get Little Yaz to play so well.

The scouts all seam to think he was 4 COF at best on a weak team.

They must have saw something they thought they could work with.

Sounds like good baseball.

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

How did the Giants get Little Yaz to play so well.

The scouts all seam to think he was 4 COF at best on a weak team.

They must have saw something they thought they could work with.

Sounds like good baseball.

Yaz was motivated by the fit manager. Pretty straightforward. 

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I swear, you are trolling us with this crap.

Yes!!!! Very much so. I found the whole manager physical fitness - team performance connection goofy (or crap as you put it) and was having some fun with it. I should have included some smiley faces and the like. 

10 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Yes!!!! Very much so. I found the whole manager physical fitness - team performance connection goofy (or crap as you put it) and was having some fun with it. I should have included some smiley faces and the like. 

Sorry, I should have know better and read the entire thread.

On 8/24/2021 at 9:24 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I do not expect Hyde to be the manager when Elias decides to switch gears and attempts to start winning.

I think he's here to caretake the tank years.

But geez how many more tank years?  Unless a miracle happens with our rotation next season, I think Hyde is the sacrificial lamb around the half way point. 

However keeping Hyde allows us to avoid the embarrassment of getting turned down by managers that would be our top choices. I don’t know who we could reasonably attract. I know that money talks but why spend any money on a manager when were not ready to “contend” yet. 

Bo Porter was 110-190 with HOU for a .367 WInning %. Hyde is 119-231 with us for a .340 winning %. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But geez how many more tank years?  Unless a miracle happens with our rotation next season, I think Hyde is the sacrificial lamb around the half way point. 

However keeping Hyde allows us to avoid the embarrassment of getting turned down by managers that would be our top choices. I don’t know who we could reasonably attract. I know that money talks but why spend any money on a manager when were not ready to “contend” yet. 

Bo Porter was 110-190 with HOU for a .367 WInning %. Hyde is 119-231 with us for a .340 winning %. 

So he’s already outlasted Porter!

Honestly, I have no  idea whether Hyde is a good manager or not. I don’t think the team will contend next year regardless of who the manager is, but could a different manager eke 5-10 more wins out of them?   I don’t know.  

There’s a big part of me that feels that if you are going to make Hyde suffer through the lean years where the talent is very thin, you ought to reward him by giving him the chance to hang around until the roster is competitive.  But that only goes so far.   To do that, you have to believe he’s at least decent at his job.   

One thing I’ll say for him, there’s been very few public clubhouse problems during his tenure.  The players still seem to like him and the effort level is pretty good.   So, I lean towards keeping him.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

So he’s already outlasted Porter!

Honestly, I have no  idea whether Hyde is a good manager or not. I don’t think the team will contend next year regardless of who the manager is, but could a different manager eke 5-10 more wins out of them?   I don’t know.  

There’s a big part of me that feels that if you are going to make Hyde suffer through the lean years where the talent is very thin, you ought to reward him by giving him the chance to hang around until the roster is competitive.  But that only goes so far.   To do that, you have to believe he’s at least decent at his job.   

One thing I’ll say for him, there’s been very few public clubhouse problems during his tenure.  The players still seem to like him and the effort level is pretty good.   So, I lean towards keeping him.  

He's also had to contend with COVID on top of dealing with the team and media during a very ugly season. I agree totally that there is really no way to tell if he's a good manager or not and I hope he gets a chance with at least a decent roster.