Saturday, August 28: John Means faces the Rays, O's on brink of mathematical elimination from playoffs

SteveA

Gametime:  7:05 pm

Forecast:  Around 80, pleasant

Promotion:  Orioles Naval Academy Themed Ballcap

Matchup Michael Wacha (R) vs John Means (L)

Lineups

1. Randy Arozarena (R) LF
2. Nelson Cruz (R) DH
3. Wander Franco (S) SS
4. Yandy Diaz (R) 3B
5. Brandon Lowe (L) 2B
6. Manuel Margot (R) RF
7. Jordan Luplow (R) 1B
8. Francisco Mejia (S) C
9. Kevin Kiermaier (L) CF

1. Cedric Mullins (L) CF
2. Ryan Mountcastle (R) 1B
3. Anthony Santander (S) RF
4. Trey Mancini (R) DH
5. DJ Stewart (L) LF
6. Ramon Urias (R) SS
7. Pedro Severino (R) C
8. Jorge Mateo (R) 2B
9. Kelvin Gutierrez (R) 3B

Orioles Bench
Austin Hays (R)
Jahmai Jones (R)
Austin Wynns (R)

Bullpen Availability

Available
    Fernando Abad* 3.1 IP, 42p Tuesday

Paul Fry* 1.0 IP, 19p Tuesday
    Conner Greene 2.0 IP, 19p Wednesday

Cole Sulser 1.0 IP, 18p Wednesday
    Dillon Tate 1.1 IP, 19p Wednesday

Tyler Wells 1.0 IP, 10p Wednesday

Maybe Available

Chris Ellis 3.0 IP, 38p Wednesday
    Jorge Lopez 2.0 IP, 28p Thursday

Not Available
    Marcos Diplan 2.0 IP, 23p last night;  0.0 IP, 14p Wednesday; 1.1 IP, 22p Tuesday

Tanner Scott* 1.0 IP, 2tp last night;  0.1 IP, 13p Wednesday 

*denotes lefthanded pitcher

NOTE:  One of these guys could be held out in expectation of starting Tuesday in Toronto, perhaps Ellis

• Upvote 1

• SteveA changed the title to Saturday, August 28: John Means faces the Rays, O's on brink of mathematical elimination from playoffs
9 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Is it game on tonight? 70 miles out, it's raining here and I just saw lightning out the corner of my eye.

Assuming... it'll just be a summer storm (front) that is passed thru by gametime...

I'm about 8 miles from OPACY and it's bright and sunny out.

Re the thread title, I think we probably already are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.   While it’s possible for any of 12 teams to fail to reach 76 wins, it’s not possible for all 12 teams to lose all their games, because they play each other and somebody has to win.  I’d have to do a bit of heavy lifting, but I’d say it’s 100% mathematically certain at this point that at least 5 teams will win 76+ games.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Re the thread title, I think we probably already are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.   While it’s possible for any of 12 teams to fail to reach 76 wins, it’s not possible for all 12 teams to lose all their games, because they play each other and somebody has to win.  I’d have to do a bit of heavy lifting, but I’d say it’s 100% mathematically certain at this point that at least 5 teams will win 76+ games.   

Give me more credit.  I did the heavy lifting.  Boston and Toronto only have 3 more.  Oakland and Seattle have 7 more, and Oakland has 3 with Boston   It barely works out, but you can still keep everyone to 75 or less.  Although I think one or maybe two wins by Boston, Oakland, or Seattle would eliminate us even if we win.  They are all playing now and right now none of them is winning.