Praise for Severino

wildcard

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's actually kinda amazing.

The O's pitching is just horrid.  Severino has caught a majority of the innings and yet based off of one comment Severino is now a master pitch caller.

I know you're on a kick to prove Seve sucks here but do you think people (plural) really believe that?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

I was replying to a comment.  I thought it was clear what I meant.

Sorry if it wasn't.

Ok good. Maybe I read it wrong.

If Seve is disappointed with the idea of being a backup catcher, maybe he should watch some video of him catching/not-catching. 

I might be too optimistic but I think pitchers will improve at least marginally by throwing to a strong defensive catcher next year.

21 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think you're capable of talking yourself into pretty much anything.

That isn't true.  There are a lot of things that you say that I can't talk  myself into.

Name a better backup catcher you think the O's can sign this off season.  Maybe I will change my mind.  

1 minute ago, 7Mo said:

I might be too optimistic but I think pitchers will improve at least marginally by throwing to a strong defensive catcher next year.

I believe it will help too, but how much so remains to be seen. Also we should start seeing better pitchers get promoted in 2022.

Maybe the Orioles will sign a couple free agent pitchers that aren't reclamation projects, but not so sure that is in the cards. 

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

When I look at who the available backup catchers may be it makes me think that  Severino may be the best choice.

May be the best available now, if you want offense, but even now he’s not the best available defender, that would be maverick, I think. And it is beyond comprehension that we can’t find somebody better on both sides of the ball for next season. I can see him being non-tendered, wandering around trying to find a major league contract, and then coming back here on a minor league contract, But to actually choose to bring him back for meaningful money is unthinkable.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That isn't true.  There are a lot of things that you say that I can't talk  myself into.

Name a better backup catcher you think the O's can sign this off season.  Maybe I will change my mind.  

I’ve touched on this already, but you have to specify whether you want a better bat, a better glove, which would be easy, or a better all-around player, which should also be easy. We need to prioritize defense from our catching, and even if Severino is better than Wynns, It’s like debating the best seat to watch the bombs fall.

We need a defender. And damn the bat. A great framer, A great throwing arm, and at least a reputation that says, “don’t run on this guy”

It’s been a while, but Jason Castro got $24 million because he’s a good framer, and he’s still bouncing around somewhere at the age of 35-ish.

I do have to say that your first couple of sentences made me laugh out loud.I do have to say that your first couple of sentences made me laugh out loud.

Edited by Philip

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

May be the best available now, if you want offense, but even now he’s not the best available defender, that would be maverick, I think. And it is beyond comprehension that we can’t find somebody better on both sides of the ball for next season. I can see him being non-tendered, wandering around trying to find a major league contract, and then coming back here on a minor league contract, But to actually choose to bring him back for meaningful money is unthinkable.

Maverick will not be in the majors next season.  If someone actually comes up with a better backup catcher  I am very will to change my mind.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yes you can because I'd never say anything as absurd as Severino being a good backup catcher.

You don't have to look far.  Yan Gomes.  Kurt Suzuki, maybe.  

You're also only assuming that the only way the Orioles can acquire a backup catcher is via free agency.  That's absurd, too.

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I believe it will help too, but how much so remains to be seen. Also we should start seeing better pitchers get promoted in 2022.

Maybe the Orioles will sign a couple free agent pitchers that aren't reclamation projects, but not so sure that is in the cards. 

Elias had an interview on MLB radio last weekend that I haven't seen anyone talk about. Maybe it was a replay from somewhere else and it's been mentioned but he said they would look for upgrades to the MLB roster this winter. He didn't say "incremental" but that's the tone of it from the little I heard. 

He also talked about this year being a year where they wanted things cleared where they could evaluate what they had.

That makes me believe they'll sign 2-3 guys who might be lesser cost starters or maybe 9 batter openers or something. Bulk type guys who are far less costly.