Did Davis fleece the Os again??

Chelsea_Phil

I don’t know about you, but I think the chances of a fairly long work stoppage/strike in 2022 is fairly high. Now it seems to me that Davis got all his money in this recent buyout/retirement, albeit paid over a longer period of time, and so irrespective of Whether there is a work stoppage/strike or not, he will get every cent from his contract, all seven years of it.  If instead the Os had banked on a work stoppage/strike for an appreciable amount of time, then Davis would’ve been out of luck for his payments in 2022.  If I was the ownership, I would have rolled the dice, Or at the very least had him accept much less money than what they agreed to, given the possibility/Probability of a work stoppage/strike in 2022.

What do others think about this?

Yes he got all his cash out instead of possibly losing 30-50% you're right. The O's paid a premium to get their roster spot back. I dont know why the O's were so accommodating for him. Usually when you retire early that means you dont get to keep the remainder of your salary. Not in this case..

I raised this very question when the details of his buyout were announced. What we don't know is there might be a clause to prorate his 2022 salary in case of a work stoppage.

I hope it is because at this point just carry Davis on the roster with one year left, and he can always be placed on the 60 day injured list again in 2022. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I raised this very question when the details of his buyout were announced. What we don't know is there might be a clause to prorate his 2022 salary in case of a work stoppage.

I hope it is because at this point just carry Davis on the roster with one year left, and he can always be placed on the 60 day injured list again in 2022. 

Also if there was any fleecing here it was the Orioles fleecing themselves. 

• Upvote 1

It's my understanding that his "injury" would have caused the O's to pay even in the event of a work stoppage. In other words, his representation was certain they could show he was medically unable to play and therefore unaffected by a work stoppage. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Quite frankly, I don't care anymore.

First, it's not my money.  And while I do gripe from time to time on how the Orioles spend theirs, it's exactly that...just griping.  It doesn't do anything to fix how they spend it.

Second, he's gone.  And that's probably the most important thing.  While Davis seemed like a good dude who was liked by his teammates, the roster isn't as clogged as it once was.  Mountcastle and Mancini can play every day and we don't have to worry about Davis and his .115 batting average making automatic outs and killing whatever feeble attempt they can make at a rally.

Third, I view Davis being released as the final nail in the coffin of the 2018 season and the playoff teams before it.  IIRC, there's no left on the roster from 2018 team, aside from Austin Wynns and Santander.  

Time to focus on the future.  And while it's always been time to focus on the future since the trading deadline of 2018 having Davis hanging around has been a bad reminder of the past.  

Upward and onward.  

Guys still here who played for the 2018 Orioles:

• Trey Mancini
  • Cedric Mullins
  • Austin Wynns
  • Anthony Santander
  • DJ Stewart
  • Tanner Scott
  • Paul Fry
  • John Means (3.1 innings)

If you go back to 2017 the list becomes:

• Trey Mancini
  • Austin Hays
  • Anthony Santander
  • Tanner Scott (1.2 innings)

Taking it back to 2016 (our last playoff team)

• Trey Mancini (14 at bats)

Nobody who played with the 2015 Orioles is still in the organization.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Guys still here who played for the 2018 Orioles:

• Trey Mancini
  • Cedric Mullins
  • Austin Wynns
  • Anthony Santander
  • DJ Stewart
  • Tanner Scott
  • Paul Fry
  • John Means (3.1 innings)

If you go back to 2017 the list becomes:

• Trey Mancini
  • Austin Hays
  • Anthony Santander
  • Tanner Scott (1.2 innings)

Taking it back to 2016 (our last playoff team)

• Trey Mancini (14 at bats)

Nobody who played with the 2015 Orioles is still in the organization.

Damn, I dunno how I'd forget about Trey.

We can amend it to that Davis was the last recognizable face from the playoff teams.  

54 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I don't think I've heard this discussed:

But shouldn't insurance cover a certain part of Davis' salary- one would suspect for this year and last?

I know the Rangers got significant relief when Fielder Jr. retired early.

Most teams dont buy insurance cost these days, because of the high cost. IE, Belle and Fielder Jr are just 2.