Did Davis fleece the Os again??

Chelsea_Phil

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Most teams dont buy insurance cost these days, because of the high cost. IE, Belle and Fielder Jr are just 2.

Yeah that really started to change after Albert Belle and his hip injury. 

Insurance in Baseball is Like a Black Hole

At the time the MLB insurance contract covered the remainder of the salary owed on Belle’s contract. According to writer Michael Branda, the Orioles recovered an astounding 27.3 million out of a 39-million-dollar loss represented by Belle’s injury. Since the huge losses on Belle’s contract in the early 2000s, insurers in baseball have become much more stringent with their underwriting in baseball contracts.

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yeah that really started to change after Albert Belle and his hip injury. 

Insurance in Baseball is Like a Black Hole

Seams like just yesterday, the fans were shocked and calling sports radio about the 39 million dollar contract, and the highest at the time  (briefly).

Now, tier 2 guys are getting that kind of money for 3 years.

Guys, you're still trying to replace Davis. I told you we can't do it. We can't do it. Now what we might be able to do is recreate him....recreate him in the aggregate. Davis' on base percentage was .164. Ruiz's on base was .286. Alberto was .306. Add that up and you get .756.  .....  divided by three.....252. That's what we're looking for! Three ballplayers whose average OBP is .252. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have no idea if Davis "fleeced the Orioles," but I can guarantee Davis did what he thought would have give him the most money.

I like Frobby''s response best. The Orioles did what they did with open eyes.

Anybody that tries and pretend they would have done overwise, is full of crapola.

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have no idea if Davis "fleeced the Orioles," but I can guarantee Davis did what he thought would have give him the most money.

Maybe it makes me a sucker or old fashioned, but I would have issues with my conscience if I took money I didn’t earn. I’m sure the players association would LOVE me for that. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Guys, you're still trying to replace Davis. I told you we can't do it. We can't do it. Now what we might be able to do is recreate him....recreate him in the aggregate. Davis' on base percentage was .164. Ruiz's on base was .286. Alberto was .306. Add that up and you get .756.  .....  divided by three.....252. That's what we're looking for! Three ballplayers whose average OBP is .252. 

Either I need to give up comedy or I need to give up comedy. Or nobody gets Moneyball references. Or….I need to give up comedy. Carry on. 

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Maybe it makes me a sucker or old fashioned, but I would have issues with my conscience if I took money I didn’t earn. I’m sure the players association would LOVE me for that. 

I get that but do you think teams have any twinge of conscience when they pay young stars the league minimum or hold players in the minors that should be in the majors?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think we know all the details of the buyout.   In any event, the O’s did whatever they did with their eyes wide open.   ?  

We certainly don't know the details, but as you mention, this is something the O's would have been aware of.

Part of me wonders whether the "allow him to retire, but continue to pay him as though he were playing," was a solution to cut him lose without accelerating his deferrals AND to account for a work stoppage ("as though he were still playing," would seem to be predicated on what he would be making were he playing the season). 

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I like Frobby''s response best. The Orioles did what they did with open eyes.

Anybody that tries and pretend they would have done overwise, is full of crapola.

Speak for yourself. There are plenty of people that would have handled things differently and there are several cases of MLB players giving tens of millions of dollars back by retiring because they knew they no longer could earn that money. But, as it's been said many times already, this situation is over. I'd be happy to never hear of his name again.  His legacy is of embarrassment for him and the Orioles organization.

Thankfully that page has turned.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Speak for yourself. There are plenty of people that would have handled things differently and there are several cases of MLB players giving tens of millions of dollars back by retiring because they knew they no longer could earn that money. But, as it's been said many times already, this situation is over. I'd be happy to never hear of his name again.  His legacy is of embarrassment for him and the Orioles organization.

Thankfully that page has turned.

One example.

Baseball Player Quits, Says “I Don't Deserve $12M”

Okay, Gil Meche hasn't been great since signing a big contract with the Kansas City Royals. But not many players would feel so badly about their performance that they would walk away from a guaranteed $12 million.

Meche announced last week he will retire, giving up the payday due on the last year of his deal. Meche has always been known for his integrity, according to The New York Times, but this move left the baseball world stunned. Meche said he just didn't like the idea of not earning his keep.

15 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I thought it was great :)