Proposal: O's spend 40m in FA

wildcard

Just now, jabba72 said:

If AR's catching that many games it will begun to impact his bat. Not to mention shorten his shelf life at catcher.  I wouldn't go over 115

Catching any amount of significant games is going to affect  his bat.  That's why a middle of the order catcher is so rare.  I'd rather have a catcher with an 800 OPS than a 1B with a 850.

Just now, Pickles said:

Catching any amount of significant games is going to affect  his bat.  That's why a middle of the order catcher is so rare.  I'd rather have a catcher with an 800 OPS than a 1B with a 850.

Right, but we've seen what happened to Wieters after 3 years of catching around or over 130 games. He was never the same defensive player after age 27.  I'd like to see them get more mileage from AR, which means they'll probably have to work him less. 

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Right, but we've seen what happened to Wieters after 3 years of catching around or over 130 games. He was never the same defensive player after age 27.  I'd like to see them get more mileage from AR, which means they'll probably have to work him less. 

To be clear, I want to see AR catch 130 games in his prime.  I understand that he probably shouldn't be doing that immediately.

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Baseball prospects, you might have heard of them.

Rated MW #1 in all of MIL in 2009, the first and only Oriole to ever hit #1,

AR is currently at #2, yes, he might make it to #1 before going to the ML, but he cant do better than #1, So clearly, Matt wins or draws at the measurement of MIL value.

I guess you mean baseball prospectus?  

Lol at your last statement but whatever.  Not even worth discussing it if you actually believe he is CLEARLY better.  That’s just absurd.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol at your last statement but whatever.  Not even worth discussing it if you actually believe he is CLEARLY better.  That’s just absurd.

Don’t think that’s what he said.   He basically said Rutschman can’t be rated any higher than Wieters was as a prospect, because Wieters was ranked no. 1.    I think we can all agree that (1) we are hoping that Rutschman will turn out to be better than Wieters, and (2) while there are reasons to think he could be better, we really won’t know until he gets up here and shows what he can do.  

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Absurd if somebody doesnt agree with you.

Whatever, I dont give a fork.

Frobby thank you for an excellent job of explaining my thoughts, better than I did.

@Frobby

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Don’t think that’s what he said.   He basically said Rutschman can’t be rated any higher than Wieters was as a prospect, because Wieters was ranked no. 1.    I think we can all agree that (1) we are hoping that Rutschman will turn out to be better than Wieters, and (2) while there are reasons to think he could be better, we really won’t know until he gets up here and shows what he can do.  

Correct, and I said it earlier, at this point is all perspective and guess work, until we see AR play at the major league level for 3-5 years. 

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think we should generalize based on Wieters. Posey is still catching at age 34. Rutschman looks like a different type of player than Wieters with a whole different level of athleticism. 

Being significantly shorter should help him- in theory.

Just to put some things in perspective for people: 

Jason Kendall is 25th all time in catcher WAR.

He finished his career with a 95 OPS+ and a career high of 14 hrs.

If you are a true middle of the order bat, you won't catch for very long.

And if you do catch for very long, it's almost impossible to be a "middle of the order bat."

42 minutes ago, Pickles said:

No.   Wieters hit better.  Was he a middle of the order bat?

This does not make him a better prospect. LOL. If he was a better prospect, he would have been the near-consensus #1 that Adley was. He was not. Just because a guy hits a little better in AA does not make him a better prospect. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think we should generalize based on Wieters. Posey is still catching at age 34. Rutschman looks like a different type of player than Wieters with a whole different level of athleticism. 

Posey's an outlier, IMO, he also only catched 120 games twice in his career so he's always been given a lighter load at Catcher. I would find a decent hitting backup and not go over 115 games with AR.  

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

This does not make him a better prospect. LOL. If he was a better prospect, he would have been the near-consensus #1 that Adley was. He was not. Just because a guy hits a little better in AA does not make him a better prospect. 

You think Wieters wasn't the clear consensus #1 prospect when he was in the MiLs?

That's either revisionism, or the O's are doing a better job of reaching out to a new generation of children than I gave them credit for.

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes but not all #1 guys are created equal.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You think Wieters wasn't the clear consensus #1 prospect when he was in the MiLs?

That's either revisionism, or the O's are doing a better job of reaching out to a new generation of children than I gave them credit for.

He was the #1 prospect in 2009. Adley is the #1 prospect in 2021. Adley is still a better prospect because he has better tools and was the higher draft pick.