Do we care about anyone who finished at Aberdeen?

Frobby

A lot of talent cycled through Aberdeen this year.   They began the year with Grayson Rodriguez, Drew Rom, Kyle Brnovich and Kyle Stowers on the roster.   Jordan Westburg and Gunnar Henderson spent a good bit of the year there.   But by the time the season ended, was there anyone we really care about?    I’d probably rank the remaining players this way:

1.  Zach Peek: he pitched better at Aberdeen (3.22 ERA) than he did at Delmarva, abd struck out a lot of guys.

2.  J.D. Mundy: injuries cut his season short but he posted an .881 OPS and probably was headed to Bowie if he hadn’t gotten hurt.

3.  Lamar Sparks: missed tons of time with injuries before this year and is behind schedule, but still interesting with a .740 OPS this year.

4.   Hudson Haskin: got hurt but managed a .774 OPS in 26 games at Aberdeen.

5.   Adam Hall:  had a disappointing season but his OBP and speed make Kim interesting   

6.  Brandon Young: a bit old for Hi A but the undrafted FA struck out a lot of guys 54 in 37 innings at Aberdeen) and pitched pretty well (3.89 ERA).

I can’t say any of these guys belong in our top 20 prospects.   I’m open to contrary opinions however.   

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A lot of talent cycled through Aberdeen this year.   They began the year with Grayson Rodriguez, Drew Rom, Kyle Brnovich and Kyle Stowers on the roster.   Jordan Westburg and Gunnar Henderson spent a good bit of the year there.   But by the time the season ended, was there anyone we really care about?    I’d probably rank the remaining players this way:

1.  Zach Peek: he pitched better at Aberdeen (3.22 ERA) than he did at Delmarva, abd struck out a lot of guys.

2.  J.D. Mundy: injuries cut his season short but he posted an .881 OPS and probably was headed to Bowie if he hadn’t gotten hurt.

3.  Lamar Sparks: missed tons of time with injuries before this year and is behind schedule, but still interesting with a .740 OPS this year.

4.   Hudson Haskin: got hurt but managed a .774 OPS in 26 games at Aberdeen.

5.   Adam Hall:  had a disappointing season but his OBP and speed make Kim interesting   

6.  Brandon Young: a bit old for Hi A but the undrafted FA struck out a lot of guys 54 in 37 innings at Aberdeen) and pitched pretty well (3.89 ERA).

I can’t say any of these guys belong in our top 20 prospects.   I’m open to contrary opinions however.   

Tony showed Haskin at #19 a/o 9/6 but that may change due to inactivity and the rise of other candidates (Zach Watson?).

I thought Mundy, technically,  was promoted to Bowie.  I care about any of these guys who might emerge as top 20 guys.  I'd rank them as.

Haskins

Young

Peek

Sparks

After that, longer shot guys would be

Hall

Lyons

Bowens

Cespedes 

Brandon Young finished the season very nicely. 0 walks 13 strikeouts in his last 8 innings.  He really had one bad outing early on at Aberdeen that skewed his overall numbers a bit.  He'd be my #1 Aberdeen player to keep an eye on next year.

• Upvote 2

Minor Monday: Aberdeen manager Kyle Moore talks prospects - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Right-handed pitcher Grayson Rodriguez:

Aberdeen Stats: 3-0, 1.54 ERA, .069 WHIP

Moore’s analysis: “He’s probably one of the best I have ever seen. He’s going to be a cornerstone in this organization because he can be at the very top of the rotation. He has everything you want out of a major-league No. 1. He’s a top-end guy. The makeup is all there. He’s a great kid, a hard worker, and a clubhouse leader. He also has the best stuff I have ever seen. He’s the type of kid you dream about when you think about a No 1 starter.”

• Thanks 1

I like Brandon Young and Zach Peek, two pitching prospects that finished the year in Aberdeen. Young had a 13.1 K rate for Aberdeen which was higher than any starter in the system pitching A+ or higher other than Grayson's 14.1 and DL Hall's 15.9. Though both of them were at higher levels.   

14 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I like Brandon Young and Zach Peek, two pitching prospects that finished the year in Aberdeen. Young had a 13.1 K rate for Aberdeen which was higher than any starter in the system pitching A+ or higher other than Grayson's 14.1 and DL Hall's 15.9. Though both of them were at higher levels.   

Young is very interesting for me. I need to scout his last few starts, but from what I seen earlier this year, he has a legit four pitch mix and a playable fastball. 

He's a guy who was screwed over by the short draft and probably should have gone back into the 2021 draft for financial reasons, but he's been the best overall free agent signee though Mundy's injury really put a damper on his year.

I like Peek a bit. The curve can be a real nice offering and when the change is on, he's brings enough to think it could play as a backend guy. I need to watch more of his starts down the stretch.