Josh Rogers Another Great Start

NelsonCruuuuuz

When Ed Rodgers was let go, I posted a few times I thought it was bizarre. He was coming off a major injury and never had enough of a routine to evaluate. When Nationals signed him (with a very good GM with a scouting background) grabbed him, I noticed. He pitched 7 2/3 innings tonight of 1 run ball and now has an ERA of 2 and has had 4 good starts. Meanwhile we have 4A fodder & guys that won’t make the 40 man through the off-season. Why wasn’t he given more time?

Moderator edit (Josh Rogers)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

Ed Rogers was an .infielder who played for us about 25 years ago.

As to Josh Rogers, obviously the Orioles didn't like what they saw of him.  Before his injury, he had an 8.65 ERA with us in 2018-19.   He also had an 8.67 ERA for us in Norfolk in 2019, 7.79 in 2021.    I don't see anything in that performance that suggests he was a "must keep."   I'm glad for him that he has done well for the Nats in four starts after doing reasonably well in Rochester.   But I'm not going to lose any sleep over this one.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ed Rogers was an .infielder who played for us about 25 years ago.

As to Josh Rogers, obviously the Orioles didn't like what they saw of him.  Before his injury, he had an 8.65 ERA with us in 2018-19.   He also had an 8.67 ERA for us in Norfolk in 2019, 7.79 in 2021.    I don't see anything in that performance that suggests he was a "must keep."   I'm glad for him that he has done well for the Nats in four starts after doing reasonably well in Rochester.   But I'm not going to lose any sleep over this one.

But you are missing a huge detail. He was coming off a major surgery. Why not give him a longer look?

Same excuses (not by you) for Elias with Yaz: “he was the odd man out, blah blah”. Can he evaluate players well or not?

Edited by NelsonCruuuuuz
  • Downvote 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to Josh Rogers Another Great Start
7 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

But you are missing a huge detail. He was coming off a major surgery. Why not give him a longer look?

Same excuses (not by you) for Elias with Yaz: “he was the odd man out, blah blah”. Can he evaluate players well or not?

My view: 

1.  It's too early to tell if we missed out on anything major with Rogers (not Rodgers).   

2.  Assuming we did, no GM bats 1.000 on these kinds of guys.

As I said, we saw him before his injury, and he wasn't that impressive.   He averaged 89-90 mph before his injury, and he was hit hard.   I wish him the best and if he has found something that will make him successful long term despite velocity that is well below average, good for him.   But it's also possible this is just SSS stuff pitching in a league that hasn't seen him before.   If he's a solid major leaguer next year at the all-star break, I'll start having some regrets.  Until then, he bears watching.

18 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I bet you said that about Yaz too.

Well, Yaz has come back to earth a bit this season, currently hitting .221/.308/.454.  But, I don't think there is any denying that he turned out better than people here (and elsewhere) thought he would.   Still, I would not second guess the decision to trade him, based on his age and track record to that point.   He's 30 now (actually turned 31 last month) and it will be interesting to see if he continues playing good baseball in future seasons or whether his decline this year is the start of a trend.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My view: 

1.  It's too early to tell if we missed out on anything major with Rogers (not Rodgers).   

2.  Assuming we did, no GM bats 1.000 on these kinds of guys.

As I said, we saw him before his injury, and he wasn't that impressive.   He averaged 89-90 mph before his injury, and he was hit hard.   I wish him the best and if he has found something that will make him successful long term despite velocity that is well below average, good for him.   But it's also possible this is just SSS stuff pitching in a league that hasn't seen him before.   If he's a solid major leaguer next year at the all-star break, I'll start having some regrets.  Until then, he bears watching.

FYI: he changed his delivery at the beginning of the season, seems deceptive.