Kevin Goldstein 10/4 chat on O’s topics

Frobby

Didn’t feel like starting a new thread for this snippet from Goldstein’s 10/18 chat:

12:04

Jason: I’m curious if you think the Orioles can take a step forward next season with the progression of young pitchers and the likely debuts of Adley and Grayson? Also what O’s prospect do you see making the biggest gains next year?

Kevin Goldstein: I do, in the sense that I think they can get into the 70s in the win column and not be a total disaster . . . merely bad.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kevin-goldstein-fangraphs-chat-2-1-2021-2/

Also this:

Kevin: I hear Adam Jones making the case to be hired as a manager. You think that could happen in the next 5ish years? Could be a splashy hire for the Padres (he’s a San Diego native!)…

12:17

Kevin Goldstein: I haven’t heard this, but the tought of it excites me.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Also this:

Kevin: I hear Adam Jones making the case to be hired as a manager. You think that could happen in the next 5ish years? Could be a splashy hire for the Padres (he’s a San Diego native!)…

12:17

Kevin Goldstein: I haven’t heard this, but the tought of it excites me.

I'd want Jones to manage at least one year in the minors before I'd consider him.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd want Jones to manage at least one year in the minors before I'd consider him.

Love Adam. But I would want to see him does a lot of minor league managing before I would hire him to manage the O's.   I keep thinking about him going to Peter and lobbying for CD's long term contract.   He supported what turned out to be the 2nd biggest mistake in O's history.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Love Adam. But I would want to see him does a lot of minor league managing before I would hire him to manage the O's.   I keep thinking about him going to Peter and lobbying for CD's long term contract.   He supported what turned out to be the 2nd biggest mistake in O's history.

Behind Lew Ford?

I wonder how many active major league managers never managed in the minors? On a very quick look, Craig Counsell, Don Mattingly, Dave Roberts, Rocco Baldelli and Gabe Kapler never managed in the minors.   Those were the only five I checked; I suspect there are others.  

I don’t see Elias picking a guy like Adam, who never seemed like the type of player to rely on data.   I remember he actively resisted some of the positioning data.   He wasn’t exactly a plate discipline guy either.  He’s got the leadership skills to be a good manager but probably needs some time in a front office or on a coaching staff.  

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Behind selling the team to Angelos?

I'm not a big supporter of former major league stars as managers.  The history of baseball is full of players who were great as players and failures as managers.  Let Adam prove himself in the minors somewhere before getting a manager job with the O's.  I hate to look back on past manager searches, where the guy's main qualification seems to be that he played for the O's. 

Adam may want to manage but in the few years he has been away from MLB he has probably lost the real connections to key decision makers that might support him in his quest. The Orioles have completely turned over in regards to FO personnel and philosophy.  He was only in AZ for a minute.  Too much heat in his hometown of SD where they thought they were ready to win now.  
He is not without a role here in Birdland however.  Look at the big picture Adam.  Job security and renewed status in a community that will love to have him back.  A beloved institution just turned 76 a few days ago and while John Sterling forges on in NY doing PBP at 83,  I think a third of a season of 76 year old Jim Palmer, a third of a season of Adam Jones and a third of a season of Ben McDonald doing color analysis on TV would be fantastic.  They might even consider moving Ben back into radio color as he was very good in that role with Joe Angel.

Come on Adam ….. play the long game here, managers are just hired to get fired!

Edited by JimGinSP
Typo

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

Didn’t feel like starting a new thread for this snippet from Goldstein’s 10/18 chat:

Jason: I’m curious if you think the Orioles can take a step forward next season with the progression of young pitchers and the likely debuts of Adley and Grayson? Also what O’s prospect do you see making the biggest gains next year?

Kevin Goldstein: I do, in the sense that I think they can get into the 70s in the win column and not be a total disaster . . . merely bad.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kevin-goldstein-fangraphs-chat-2-1-2021-2/

70 wins would be an 18 win improvement. We’ll be better next year but that is an awfully big jump especially if we’re only adding AR and GR on June 1. Likely subtracting on July 31. Our big FA signing is likely to be Galvis. It would be a big improvement to win 62. I’m excited about 2023, but I don’t think we see W/L change till then. 2022 will be much of the same as this year.