Mancini had a scare in June

Sports Guy

He will always have my undying admiration for managing to compete at the level he did this year after last year's surgery and six months of chemo treatment. To have missed all that time and to have dealt with the after effects (and the psychological strain) and to have a scare mid-season this year is almost too much to imagine. That's a lot to have on one's shoulders. Thanks for sharing. I just saw it in The Athletic this morning as well. 

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

In the two weeks between receiving the first and second test results he triple-slashed .152/.188/.239.

It's almost as if these players are actual humans and not machines whose performance on the field is influenced by their lives off of it. Who knew? Seriously though, it's amazing he was able to get a hit at all. 

This makes me wonder how/if teams are factoring circumstances outside of the game into their analysis and projects for players. 

In any case, all the more reason to love and root for Mancini. I do hope he's an Oriole next year. I know it may make more sense from a team building perspective to move him, but I still want him here. 

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

It's almost as if these players are actual humans and not machines whose performance on the field is influenced by their lives off of it. Who knew? Seriously though, it's amazing he was able to get a hit at all. 

This makes me wonder how/if teams are factoring circumstances outside of the game into their analysis and projects for players. 

In any case, all the more reason to love and root for Mancini. I do hope he's an Oriole next year. I know it may make more sense from a team building perspective to move him, but I still want him here. 

The team hopefully asked him as part of that decision.

I'd rather be playing baseball with my teammates, then sitting at home and wondering.  Clearly, the baseball suffered in this case, but maybe it's what he needed.  On a team that wasn't about wins and loses, I hope it was his decision to play.

Trey is the man.  You never know what evil lurks behind the scenes in the life of a cancer patient or survivor.

10 years out from prostate cancer for me... at 52, now, with no complications after surgery, it's a lot easier.

But those, "Let's do that test again..." moments that have occurred, suck the proverbial eggs!  They never amounted to anything with me, but they're damn scary not only for you, but also for those you trust around you to talk about it with.

Get your PSA tests yearly gentlemen.  Early diagnosis leads to better outcomes.