2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

They had the largest pool in 2020 and still felt a need to go under slot at #2.

Of course, it's possible they thought Kjerstad was as good or better than anyone else available at #2 and saving money just happened to be a byproduct of that.   I still don't buy that Elias is passing on players he loves to save money for overslots later in the draft.    It doesn't make him right but it does seem a little more logical.

• Upvote 1

Just now, LookinUp said:

Or, they saw the opportunity to get a player they really wanted and not have to pay full slot to do it.

Maybe that's what will happen this year!!!!!!!!

Or least that is how they will spin it.

Seriously?

You bring up a point, I make a simple counterpoint and you feel a need to drop an Elias is always right?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Seriously?

You bring up a point, I make a simple counterpoint and you feel a need to drop an Elias is always right?

I just don't agree with the spin embedded in your response. Feeling the "need" to go under slot. I think it's more about opportunity than need.

Like RZNJ said, they might just like a guy for the money more, but it's unlikely they're passing on guys they really like a lot more because they feel a need to do so.

In this draft's case, as I posted elsewhere, I'd be happy with any of Jones, Holliday and Greene because I see them all as elite upside guys. If the O's agree and can save a buck and take Holliday for example, that would seem wise to me.

• Upvote 1

Seriously?

Ok.  Hypothetical time.   Druw Jones wants full slot 8.8M to sign.   Termarr Johnson says he'll sign for 6.8M.    The Orioles feel that Andruw Jones will be a perennial all-star, gold glove CF.   They think Termarr will be a ML regular and maybe make an all-star team but also has bust potential.    Do you think Elias passes on Jones to save 2M for going overslot at #33?

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I just don't agree with the spin embedded in your response. Feeling the "need" to go under slot. I think it's more about opportunity than need.

Like RZNJ said, they might just like a guy for the money more, but it's unlikely they're passing on guys they really like a lot more because they feel a need to do so.

In this draft's case, as I posted elsewhere, I'd be happy with any of Jones, Holliday and Greene because I see them all as elite upside guys. If the O's agree and can save a buck and take Holliday for example, that would seem wise to me.

WTF?  My spin?

11 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Kinda interesting. One opinion of interest is that because the O's have the largest bonus pool, they may not even need to go under slot at #1.

It's been mentioned other places, but if this isn't a draft with a ton of depth that's another reason to no go under slot at #1. Then there's the opportunity to select under slots for several rounds as a way to save money.

It really seems to me like it's a three horse race between Jones, Holliday and Green.

You said it first!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

WTF?  My spin?

You said it first!

You said it second.   You said the Orioles felt a need to go underslot at #2 in 2020.   That indeed is your spin.   You don't know what went into that decision.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  Hypothetical time.   Druw Jones wants full slot 8.8M to sign.   Termarr Johnson says he'll sign for 6.8M.    The Orioles feel that Andruw Jones will be a perennial all-star, gold glove CF.   They think Termarr will be a ML regular and maybe make an all-star team but also has bust potential.    Do you think Elias passes on Jones to save 2M for going overslot at #33?

I think that you are trying very hard to steer this in a particular direction by having such a wide gulf in projected outcomes.

On one hand perennial all star and on the other hand maybe make an all star game but could bust?

hqdefault.jpg

17 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Or, they saw the opportunity to get a player they really wanted and not have to pay full slot to do it.

The 2020 draft was really weak at the top.  I think it’s far more likely they valued Kjerstad BPA in that draft than they did Cowser.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that you are trying very hard to steer this in a particular direction by having such a wide gulf in projected outcomes.

On one hand perennial all star and on the other hand maybe make an all star game but could bust?

hqdefault.jpg

Ok.  You'd agree that if two players are ranked evenly that you'd take the one with lower demands.   What I'm asking you is do you believe the Orioles would pass on a player they like better (can I use the word significantly?) for one they don't like as much to save 1 or 2M?

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  You'd agree that if two players are ranked evenly that you'd take the one with lower demands.   What I'm asking you is do you believe the Orioles would pass on a player they like better (can I use the word significantly?) for one they don't like as much to save 1 or 2M?

I think the odds of two players at the very top of the draft being rated evenly are very slight.  If there were to somehow come to pass then yes, using contract demands as a tie breaker is prudent.

I do think the O's would pick a player that would sign for less money over a player they thought had a superior projection.

I think they have done so under Elias.

• Upvote 1

I think the odds of two players at the very top of the draft being rated evenly are very slight.  If there were to somehow come to pass then yes, using contract demands as a tie breaker is prudent.

I do think the O's would pick a player that would sign for less money over a player they thought had a superior projection.

I think they have done so under Elias.

Agree to disagree.    Although I'm not sure if you are playing with semantics here.   Is superior projection meant to just mean higher ceiling or just someone they feel will turn out to be the better player.

• Haha 1