2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

Took a peek at the Sunday schedule, and kudos to MLB for featuring the Draft going into the All-Star break.

They are forgoing Sunday night baseball so guys on all 30 teams can get to wherever they are getting to.

A few NL teams have 400 home games, but the latest start time involving an AL team Sunday is 230pm, so everything should be final an hour or two before the draft gets that Super Bowl/Oscars time slot.

Hopefully the rising Orioles have some Eye of the Tiger edge on Tampa in the last 72 hours.    This team isn't good enough to afford everybody going full Mountcastle no matter how deeply the All-Star break is a very shiny object in a big league ballplayer's year.     Bat Adley and Urias up top Sunday, they aren't tired.   Set a tone.

https://www.oddschecker.com/us/insight/baseball/mlb/20220711-2022-mlb-mock-draft-predicting-the-first-150-picks

I am not sure if this top 150 mock holds any credibility but I would be pumped if the draft played out this way for the O’s.  Druw Jones followed by 3 college pitchers.  Including Whisenhunt who I think would be a great value pick in the second round. 

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

https://www.oddschecker.com/us/insight/baseball/mlb/20220711-2022-mlb-mock-draft-predicting-the-first-150-picks

I am not sure if this top 150 mock holds any credibility but I would be pumped if the draft played out this way for the O’s.  Druw Jones followed by 3 college pitchers.  Including Whisenhunt who I think would be a great value pick in the second round. 

Wow..Rocker all the way to 55

12 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Because he's 5-8 or 5-9. Could Johnson become a solid major league 2B? Sure, but I dont really want that at 1-1.  

Because of his height really?? I mean I know it’s not your prototypical size but I mean look at Jose Altuve he’s what 5’6”

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Rockef fell to the O's, they should pick him.  It's unlikely he'll be an ace, but he could be a 200 IP pitcher, which is very valuable.  Jones, Whisenhunt and Rocker would be a haul, imo.

They should pick him if they like the medicals.  If he’s there and they don’t take him, I will trust the fact that they are starting away from him for good reason.

9 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

Because of his height really?? I mean I know it’s not your prototypical size but I mean look at Jose Altuve he’s what 5’6”

It may not deter Elias at all, I just think with his projected position and height I would go elsewhere 1-1.

So he has his height and the fact he’ll more than likely have to move to 2nd base going against him. He has arguably the best hit tool in the draft and his intangibles baseball IQ are off the chart.  Which ones outweigh the other? There’s not a guy in this draft without some question marks. Jones trouble pulling the ball, Green swing and miss. I personally think this is a horrible year to be picking 1-1. 

I’m not saying I want Johnson to be the pick but that if he is after what I’ve watched of him play and in interviews I’d be excited to have him a part of this organization just as I would be for Green, Collier and Jones.  

There are a  lot of great stories in pro sports about guys who were told they wouldn’t make it because of their size. Ray Lewis for example was told he was to small. Some guys just have a great make up, great work ethic and they don’t buy into that criticism  and instead  use it as motivation. 

• Upvote 1

Law's mock has us taking Lee. Not sure I'm a fan of this at 1-1 as it doesn't appear likely Lee will stick at SS (Law is not the only one who holds this opinion) and he didn't walk much prior to this season (18 walks in 55 games and 222 AB's in 2021 and 3 walks in 84 AB's at the Cape in 2021) .  His walks did jump this year (2022) to 46 while his K's and avg etc. stayed pretty consistent with 2021 (.342 34 k's in 55 games and 222 AB's in 2021 v. .357 with 28 K's in 235 AB's in 2022). According to D1Baseball, Cal Poly's SOS was 173rd. His numbers are good, but pale in comparison to Rutschman's (1.327 OPS) and Vaughn's (1.243 OPS) who played a tougher schedule in the PAC-12. Are we settling again? 

1. Baltimore Orioles: Brooks Lee, SS, Cal Poly

Scouting report: Lee has been the best pure hitter among college prospects this year, running a walk-to-strikeout rate over 2.00 all season and punching out well under 10 percent of the time. He controls the zone well and rarely misses fastballs within it, thanks to exceptional hand-eye coordination. His swing is unorthodox and kind of noisy, with some evident effort, but with all that hip and torso rotation he doesn’t always make the high-quality contact teams are looking for in elite prospects. I don’t think Lee is a shortstop long term; he has outstanding hands that will play anywhere on the field, but his ankles are thick and he’s a 40 runner, so the lateral agility that position demands may just be beyond his physical ability. Put him at third base and he should be fine. It’s a bet on the bat, and that a pro department can take this foundation of contact skills and help him get to more consistent contact quality; it’s easier to teach someone to hit the ball harder than it is to teach him to hit the ball in the first place. Lee should be a strong regular who makes some All-Star teams as a third or second baseman, but probably doesn’t project to be a superstar.

2. Arizona Diamondbacks: Druw Jones, OF, Wesleyan School (Norcross, Ga.)

Scouting report: Jones is the son of Andruw Jones, and his game bears many resemblances to his father’s, not least in the outfield, where Druw is already a plus defender and could work his way up to an elite level with experience. At the plate, he shows 70 power thanks to the strength in his wrists and forearms, with more power possible as he fills out further. And he has shown some bat control against amateur competition, with some understanding of when to pull the ball and when to try to go the other way. He’s a plus runner right now but may lose some of that down the road as he gets bigger, as his father did by age 24-25. The real question on Druw is whether he’ll hit — if he does, he’s a superstar, with 30/30 potential and a glove that should save 10 or more runs a year in center. If he’s more of a 45 bat, he still has plenty of major-league value due to the secondary skills, so he could be worth several WAR per year even with a .300ish on-base percentage. He’d have to be a worse hitter than even that to be something less than a regular, and the unlikeliness of that outcome combined with his very high ceiling make him the top prospect in this year’s draft class.

• Upvote 1