2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

The Orioles have completely punted on 4 seasons of baseball.  You don't do that to take safe players, at least not when elite talent is sitting on the board.  Its just a stupid strategy.  You absolutely can not justify that entire thought process when the ONLY ADVANTAGE to losing on purpose is the draft.

One thing to keep in mind that players picked 1-1 don't get slot value.  Rutschman signed for $8.1 mil.  Slot was $8.4.  He was the clear best player available and we still save $300K.  If Elias truly doesn't believe that Jones isn't significantly better and that a group of players is bunched together, I can see an argument for negotiating with several players and making the best deal.  That doesn't mean the cheapest deal.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The Orioles have completely punted on 4 seasons of baseball.  You don't do that to take safe players, at least not when elite talent is sitting on the board.  Its just a stupid strategy.  You absolutely can not justify that entire thought process when the ONLY ADVANTAGE to losing on purpose is the draft.

Funny but I ran across a quote from you that said you need to take a fairly safe pick with a top 5 pick.   You said you can't afford to miss on a pick like that.  You actually advocated for the safer pick over the high ceiling/higher risk pick.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Is it possible that Jacob Berry is an elite hitter?   Is it more likely that Jacob Berry is the better bet to be a top tier ML bat?   Please anwer honestly , not like you're trying to win an argument.   We all know that  Andruw Jones can run faster, throw better, and play defense a helluva lot better.   

I dont know but the draft profile on Holliday sounds tantalizing. Plus, plus runner, plus arm, easy power, 60 hit tool. His bloodlines are obvious. The tools suggest he should be able to stay at SS, and if so I would be fine with the pick. We have so many OF's in the system as it is. SS is a need. 

12 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I dont know but the draft profile on Holliday sounds tantalizing. Plus, plus runner, plus arm, easy power, 60 hit tool. His bloodlines are obvious. The tools suggest he should be able to stay at SS, and if so I would be fine with the pick. We have so many OF's in the system as it is. SS is a need. 

The only thing that worries me about Holliday was in the writeup I saw, it said he was beating up on weak competition.   So, how does he look against high velo, breaking and offspeed pitches.     Again, we only know what we read and they make everyone sound realy, really good.  Even the guys that will go mid to late first round have great writeups.

I try to keep an open mind and a skeptical one.

The key part of Law’s prediction is “in part because they don’t believe that Druw Jones is head-and-shoulders above the remainder of the draft class.”  That’s what this comes down to.   Do the O’s think Jones is clearly the BPA, or not?

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The key part of Law’s prediction is “in part because they don’t believe that Druw Jones is head-and-shoulders above the remainder of the draft class.”  That’s what this comes down to.   Do the O’s think Jones is clearly the BPA, or not?

But Elias said this was a good year to be drafting #1.   That's an interesting comment.   That would suggest that they think there was a clear #1, otherwise what's so good about picking at #1 if there are about 5-6 players that are all about the same.    I'm not suggesting they think Jones is #1, although that's what you would suspect, but it suggests that they feel someone is.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

But Elias said this was a good year to be drafting #1.   That's an interesting comment.   That would suggest that they think there was a clear #1, otherwise what's so good about picking at #1 if there are about 5-6 players that are all about the same.    I'm not suggesting they think Jones is #1, although that's what you would suspect, but it suggests that they feel someone is.

Maybe he meant it in the sense that there are several really talented options at the very top.  

2010 was a very good year to be picking at the top of the draft.  Even at no. 3.   

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How would Law know anything about what Elias thinks of Druw Jones.  It's impossible to get accurate injury reports from the O's.  You think anyone can get the O's (Elias) opinion on how good Jones is/will be?

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Funny but I ran across a quote from you that said you need to take a fairly safe pick with a top 5 pick.   You said you can't afford to miss on a pick like that.  You actually advocated for the safer pick over the high ceiling/higher risk pick.

Yep..I have absolutely said that.

But as I also have said, this draft is different and we need to go get an elite high level pick.  Would rather fail with that than get a safe pick.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Is it possible that Jacob Berry is an elite hitter?   Is it more likely that Jacob Berry is the better bet to be a top tier ML bat?   Please anwer honestly , not like you're trying to win an argument.   We all know that  Andruw Jones can run faster, throw better, and play defense a helluva lot better.   

It’s possible he’s an elite hitter.  No I don’t think he’s a better bet.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s possible he’s an elite hitter.  No I don’t think he’s a better bet.

Jacob Berry, accomplished college hitter that some (I could even say many) say is the best college hitter in the nation is not a better bet to be an impact hitter at the ML level than Druw Jones?    Ok.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Jacob Berry, accomplished college hitter that some (I could even say many) say is the best college hitter in the nation is not a better bet to be an impact hitter at the ML level than Druw Jones?    Ok.

He's had 3 more years of development and is 3 years older.  It's likely that in 3 years, Jones' bat will be better than Berry's bat.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

This is my favorite relationship on the website. 

• Haha 1