2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There is so much context though.  Elijah Green probably has the highest upside but I doubt that you are actually advocating him for the top pick.

Most evaluators seem to feel that Green is the most talented high upside player in this draft.

I’m not advocating anyone now because it’s way too early to do so.

Do I think Green should be in the discussion?  Absolutely.  Does he have to show more bat to ball skills this year for me to want to draft him?  Absolutely.

But there is so much time to figure this out.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not advocating anyone now because it’s way too early to do so.

Do I think Green should be in the discussion?  Absolutely.  Does he have to show more bat to ball skills this year for me to want to draft him?  Absolutely.

But there is so much time to figure this 

You said you wanted the elite talent, HOF player and didn't care if he wasn't a safe pick, ie. don't care if he busts. Green is the elite talent in this draft.  Now you are backing up and adding qualifiers.  If the draft were today, Green would fit what you described. 

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You said you wanted the elite talent, HOF player and didn't care if he wasn't a safe pick, ie. don't care if he busts. Green is the elite talent in this draft.  Now you are backing up and adding qualifiers.  If the draft were today, Green would fit what you described. 

Other players could also fit that criteria but thanks for chiming in.

I think  its pretty dumb to get too worked up over anything draft related now.  So much can change in the next several months.

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Other players could also fit that criteria but thanks for chiming in.

I think  its pretty dumb to get too worked up over anything draft related now.  So much can change in the next several months.

I'm just saying the philosophy you espouse in that post points to Green.  Maybe it's poorly worded because if the draft were today I don't think you would advocate Green at 1:1 although he probably has the highest upside of anyone in this draft.

College season 7 weeks away and high school season 11 weeks away.   We'll see how the season plays out.  Some of these guys will move up, some will drop off, and some others will appear out of nowhere....

If the draft were tomorrow, I'd take Termarr Johnson.   I love the hit tool and don't care that he "only" plays second base...

But Druw Jones Jr and Elijah Green have incredible athleticism and talent so we can keep an eye on them.   We can see if Jacob Berry can handle second base or if Brooks Lee sets the world on fire.   I'm sure the landscape will look a lot different in June.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wonder how far this drops him?  

Maybe use our competitive balance pick on him if he falls down to that part of the draft???   Most guys recover from this.   Some fair better than others- Dylan Bundy was never quite the same...  

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bundy had a shoulder calcification issue.

Not known as of the draft, right?

If my memory serves me correctly, Lucas Giolito had TJ surgery prior to the draft and slipped to 1:16 after being a pretty serious 1:1 candidate while healthy.   My guess is Pallette won’t go in the first round, and maybe not second round either.   Of course, I never even heard his name until 5 minutes ago   

Q&A with Callis:

How do the 2022 top prep players [Druw Jones, Termarr Johnson and Elijah Green] compare to recent prep players like [Bobby Witt Jr.], [Marcelo] Mayer and [Jordan] Lawlar? --@jopo12191

High schoolers occupy the top three spots on MLB Pipeline's 2022 Draft Top 100, with outfielder Druw Jones at No. 1 followed by middle infielder Termarr Johnson and outfielder Elijah Green. Let's take the three best prep position players from each of the previous three years and line them up based on their ability heading into the Draft:

• Bobby Witt Jr., SS (2019)
  • Druw Jones, OF (2022)
  • Termarr Johnson, 2B (2022)
  • Marcelo Mayer, SS (2021)
  • C.J. Abrams, SS (2019)
  • Riley Greene, OF (2019)
  • Jordan Lawlar, SS (2021)
  • Elijah Green, OF (2022)
  • Kahlil Watson, SS (2021)
  • Zac Veen, OF (2020)
  • Robert Hassell, OF (2020)
  • Ed Howard, SS (2020)

Witt was an easy choice for the top spot. Since the single-Draft era began in 1987, the only better shortstop prospect was Alex Rodriguez, and A-Rod is the best overall prospect in the entire history of the Draft.

As you can see by those rankings, this year's trio is quite exciting. Jones is very reminiscent of his father, five-time All-Star and 10-time Gold Glover Andruw, while Johnson is the best pure high school hitter I can remember. Green may have a higher offensive ceiling than either of them, though he comes with some swing-and-miss concerns and less defensive value.

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-inbox-comparing-top-3-draft-prospects-to-previous-picks?t=mlb-draft-coverage

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-inbox-comparing-top-3-draft-prospects-to-previous-picks?t=mlb-draft-coverage

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, hutchead said:

Add one more to the list:

Jackson Holliday   https://www.collegebaseball.info/post/2022-mlb-mock-draft-1-0

Most interesting line in the 1.1 write-up:  In addition to Holliday, Baltimore has rolled in deep to see Johnson, Druw Jones, Elijah Green, and Brooks Lee.

The author's bio (economist/author) looks interesting.