2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

I'm questioning Elias picking a HS pitcher in the prospectslive mock draft.  Top college pitchers were still available in Tidwell, Whisenhunt, Prielipp and Cannon, and were picked right after the O's pick.   I would guess that Elias would strongly prefer college pitchers to high school pitchers.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

This mock had them taking Owen Miller a HS RHP at 33.  That's a risky high upside pick. I don't see it but who knows.

I don’t think this means that they will select Murphy (I think trying to guess the comp pick would be almost impossible) but Kiley McDaniel also suggested that the Orioles could be interested in Owen Murphy (I personally hope they take Prielipp if he’s there).

I could also see a high-upside, tough-to-sign high school pitcher, and Illinois preps LHP Noah Schultz and RHP Owen Murphy seem like the Orioles' type.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/34013502/2022-mlb-mock-draft-10-kiley-mcdaniel-projects-first-round?platform=amp

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Berry is not a player you pick at 1:1.  What is he going to be a defensively challenged 1B in the majors?  Unless he's comparable to David Ortiz (fat chance), that's a terrible pick.

He would also be an awful 1, agreed. 

for me it’s (spitballing for now):

jones 

holiday or Lee, undecided still, tough one 

parrada or green (undecided) 

Keith Law on what he expects from the Orioles:

I don't think anyone will know who the Orioles are taking until draft day - other than Elias and Mejdal. It's just educated guessing from here. I think if you're betting on Jones vs. the field, I'd take the field. If you're asking the guy they're most likely to take other than Jones, I think Holliday. I haven't heard anyone connecting them to Collier but I can't believe he's not on their radar given his age & performance.

Does Jones project to have above average offense, or is his value based more his defensive abilities? I’m of the opinion that we should go with the best bat, and figure out where to put them in the field at a later date. If that means picking Johnson or Holliday or Green over a slick CF like Jones then so be it. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Does Jones project to have above average offense, or is his value based more his defensive abilities? I’m of the opinion that we should go with the best bat, and figure out where to put them in the field at a later date. If that means picking Johnson or Holliday or Green over a slick CF like Jones then so be it. 

I would have to go digging through one of these threads to find the article, but there was one that said Jones doesn't have plus pull-side power but has a plus power the other way. 

As I sat there thinking of what that meant, I thought of how Mike Trout's goal is hitting "inside-out" toward the RF/CF gap.  Basically, what Jones is said to be strong at.  It got me thinking "Does Trout wants to have what Jones currently is doing?"

For context, Trout had strong pull-side power coming out of HS.  He had to change his swing a bit to use the full field better.  Jones will probably need to develop the other direction a bit to get more pull-side power.  Which makes me think of Cowser trying to tap into some more power...  How do lessons learned with Cowser factor into Elias'/Sig's draft math?  Sorry, I have more questions than answers.

4 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Parrada is the best bat def.

From the latest mock in the Athletic this week:

1. Baltimore Orioles: Jacob Berry, 3B/OF, LSU

The current betting has the Orioles taking a college position player and cutting a deal with him, as they did when picking second (2020) and fifth (2021) in the last two drafts, in part because they don’t believe that Druw Jones is head-and-shoulders above the remainder of the draft class. I will point out, however, that GM Mike Elias had the first overall pick in 2019 and took the best available player, Adley Rutschman; he had it three times while with Houston, and took the best available player twice (neither of which worked out). The other time was the most analogous to this year: the Astros thought four players were all roughly equal in value, or close enough to treat them as such and try to strike the best deal among them. They ended up with Carlos Correa, who was, in fact, the best player in the draft. That said, I think Berry is a future DH and wouldn’t take him anywhere near this high. The Orioles could also go with Brooks Lee, the Cal Poly shortstop who’ll at least stay on the dirt and can really hit.

Scouting report: “On bat alone, Berry would be a top-10 pick, as the transfer from the University of Arizona has mashed for two years, and drastically cut his strikeout rate even with the move to LSU and a less favorable home park … He has plus power and good pitch recognition, showing no trouble the few times he’s seen good velocity this year. He has no position, though – he’s been well below average at third and in left field.”

When these baseball "experts" decide to write something on the O's, their first thought is Baltimore is a clown organization so how do we take shots and them and then work the rest of the article around that.  I'm not a fan of the underslot strategy, but the experts have just about stated as fact that Baltimore is always going to go underslot.   I'm not sure some of them are aware Duquette is no longer in charge.  Please, no Berry!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, connja said:

From the latest mock in the Athletic this week:

1. Baltimore Orioles: Jacob Berry, 3B/OF, LSU

The current betting has the Orioles taking a college position player and cutting a deal with him, as they did when picking second (2020) and fifth (2021) in the last two drafts, in part because they don’t believe that Druw Jones is head-and-shoulders above the remainder of the draft class. I will point out, however, that GM Mike Elias had the first overall pick in 2019 and took the best available player, Adley Rutschman; he had it three times while with Houston, and took the best available player twice (neither of which worked out). The other time was the most analogous to this year: the Astros thought four players were all roughly equal in value, or close enough to treat them as such and try to strike the best deal among them. They ended up with Carlos Correa, who was, in fact, the best player in the draft. That said, I think Berry is a future DH and wouldn’t take him anywhere near this high. The Orioles could also go with Brooks Lee, the Cal Poly shortstop who’ll at least stay on the dirt and can really hit.

Scouting report: “On bat alone, Berry would be a top-10 pick, as the transfer from the University of Arizona has mashed for two years, and drastically cut his strikeout rate even with the move to LSU and a less favorable home park … He has plus power and good pitch recognition, showing no trouble the few times he’s seen good velocity this year. He has no position, though – he’s been well below average at third and in left field.”

Taking a glorified DH with the first pick after your tanked so that you could get a high pick is f’ing stupid. 

You absolutely can not justify it.

• Upvote 1