2021 Orioles #4 Prospect - Colton Cowser - OF

Tony-OH

10 minutes ago, Orange said:

I was thinking of Harold Baines as a comp... but Nimmo is good, too. (Did you know that Nimmo has a career OPS+ of 131?? Baines had a 121 in 22 seasons... those guys can get on base.)

Finding our Nimmo; unfortunately, pitched balls found Nimmo too often - he led the NL in HBP's in 2018 with 22 and has been injury-prone since then.  A healthy version of Nimmo would be excellent.  

6 minutes ago, hutchead said:

I'll ask again here since no one apparently knew the answer when I asked in the minor league forum. Does anyone know why Colton wore number 20 for Delmarva? Surely he knows he can't wear that number as an Oriole.

/shrug.

Evidently he wore #17 in college.

He's on Twitter, ask him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hutchead said:

I'll ask again here since no one apparently knew the answer when I asked in the minor league forum. Does anyone know why Colton wore number 20 for Delmarva? Surely he knows he can't wear that number as an Oriole.

Norfolk Tides : Dustin Knight #20

Bowie Baysox : Cameron Bishop #33

Drew Rom #20

Adam Hall #5 

Grant Anders(coach) also #5

Justin Ramsey(coach) #22

Curiosity got me…. and I’m not going any further down the chain.   If they are giving Brooks’ number out to a development coach and Palmer’s number out to a pitching coach it’s obvious the affiliates don’t retire the MLB clubs numbers UNLESS that same player had some success worth remembering in that city.   Not sure the player has much choice in the matter when he is promoted mid season.   More like what’s your size kid?

• Upvote 1

If you add 3 more HR to Cowser’s SSS stat line, would he be more hyped?  I think he’s underrated on this board and probably by myself as well. All in all I’m 9/10 happy with the Cowser pick, and especially since we got steals in Rhodes and Willem. We sacrificed a little ceiling with picking Cowser, but that allowed us to land Rhodes, who luckily was eligible for this year’s draft, but was looking like a fringe 1st/early 2nd rd pick next year. Even with that being said, we bought low on Rhodes. Again, not to mention Willem. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If you add 3 more HR to Cowser’s SSS stat line, would he be more hyped?  I think he’s underrated on this board and probably by myself as well. All in all I’m 9/10 happy with the Cowser pick, and especially since we got steals in Rhodes and Willem. We sacrificed a little ceiling with picking Cowser, but that allowed us to land Rhodes, who luckily was eligible for this year’s draft, but was looking like a fringe 1st/early 2nd rd pick next year. Even with that being said, we bought low on Rhodes. Again, not to mention Willem. 

I like Cowser, it’s just a little early to judge him after less than two months of at bats in the FCL/Low A.   He’s a polished college bat, so success at those levels doesn’t tell you much.  We’ll have a better idea about him this time next year.  Hopefully he plays at least a half season of AA.   

On 10/30/2021 at 7:05 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

No offense, but I hear this stuff every year about non-top draft picks. The success or failure of Elias will ultimately be driven by how many of these guys are actually good versus how many go into yesteryear's hype vault.

So far it looks good with Stowers, Henderson, Westburg and Mayo. Early returns on Norby are good. So I have more enthusiasm than I probably should have had for Avery, Hoes, et al.

From Roch:

Outfielder Colton Cowser, the first-round pick this summer, is getting in more work at the fall instructional league camp in Sarasota, Fla.

Cowser, chosen fifth overall, couldn’t have made a better impression after slashing .375/.490/.492 in 32 games between the Rookie-level Florida Complex League and Single-A Delmarva. He had eight doubles, two home runs and 34 RBIs, drew 25 walks and struck out 23 times in 149 plate appearances.

Pretty much as advertised.

“It’s been pretty crazy whenever I sit down and actually think about it, but I hadn’t really had the chance to do that until about the three- to four-week period when we had off before we came out to camp,” he said during Friday’s Zoom call. “I’m really grateful and blessed to be in the position I’m in.”

Cowser batted .354/.460/.608 in three seasons at Sam Houston State and also had more walks (76) than strikeouts (70). But he entered the Orioles organization seeking ways to further grow his game.

“This year kind of introduced me to some of those things,” he said. “I think the pace of the game, it’s a little different than college. It’s more routine-based, it’s more on your own. You’re playing every day pretty much, so it’s kind of on you to adjust and get your business done, and I think that this little shortened season kind of helped me do that and get into a good routine and do all those things.”

Cowser is busy now with conditioning drills, much of his time spent in the weight room to increase strength and improve movement. Trying to get “stronger and more explosive,” he said, in order to enhance his power numbers.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/11/this-that-and-the-other-233.html