2021 Orioles #8 Prospect - Jordan Westburg - SS/3B

Tony-OH

I think Westburg is the SS that is most ready to make the majors soon. Tony says it could happen late next season.   He plays under control in the field and hits. I didn't know about the concern over his arm strength but to this  point it does not seem to have caused him problems at SS but not seeing him I can't be sure of that.

Tony projecting Westburg as most likely 2B and Gunnar as most likely a 3B is somewhat concerning for the O's future at SS.   That  leaves the near term internal candidates at SS to be not strong hitting Mateo, Grenier and Ortiz.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The Westburg can play up the middle on the grass comment is a little confusing to me.  I would have thought it would be he can play up the middle on the dirt.

I think Westburg is the SS that is most ready to make the majors soon. Tony says it could happen late next season.   He plays under control in field and hits. I didn't know about the concern over his arm strength but to this  point it does not seem to have caused him problems at SS but not seeing him I can't be sure of that.

Tony projecting Westburg as most likely 2B and Gunnar as most likely a 3B is somewhat concerning for the O's future at SS.   That  leaves the near term internal candidates at SS to be not  strong hitting Mateo, Grenier and Ortiz.

It’s a good thing we pick 1:1 next year. 

So, if we are talking just the top 8 prospects and current players, we are looking at a potential future of: 

C- Adley Rutschman

1B- Ryan Mountcastle

2B- Jordan Westburg

SS- Gunnar Henderson

3B- Colby Mayo

LF- Austin Hays

CF- Cedric Mullins

RF- Colton Cowser

DH/OF- Kyle Stowers

That's a pretty nice lineup to dream on (yes, Westburg may be SS instead, but given Westburg's most likely is 2B and Henderson is 3B--and we already have a 3B option--I went this way). 

If only the pitching was as promising. We have: Rodriguez, Hall, Means thus far. We have guys like Bradish and Baumann that we may see on this list in not too long, but it appears most of the guys we have behind Rodriguez and Hall are more likely to land in the bullpen. Perhaps its the next batch of guys on the list like Norby, Kjerstad, etc. that with a year or two of production in the minors could be moved to help the SP. 

• Upvote 3

I like the fact that we have quite a few infield prospects at this point, but it bothers me that everyone is questionable as a shortstop. I would have thought Westburg is the most likely shortstop when he was drafted. I'd like another Belanger, maybe with a little more power.

“…don’t be surprised if he doesn’t make his Baltimore debut in 2022.”   Doesn’t that mean we should be surprised if he makes his Baltimore debut in 2022?

Well, I will be surprised if he does.    I think 2023 is much more likely.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“…don’t be surprised if he doesn’t make his Baltimore debut in 2022.”   Doesn’t that mean we should be surprised if he makes his Baltimore debut in 2022?

Well, I will be surprised if he does.    I think 2023 is much more likely.   

Why would that surprise you?

I’m still hoping that Westburg stays at SS and one of Norby or Vavra win the second base job..Urias being a super UTI guy.  

One thing I like about the offensive players right now is that we have a good mix of contact/average/OBP guys and power guys.  

They are trending to an offense that can hurt you in a lot of ways, not one that is just one dimensional or heavy reliant on one thing.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

One thing to remember, I think Westburg's best position would be 2B, but I didn't say he can't play SS. Of the two, I'd play Westburg at SS over Henderson despite Henderson's edge in arm strength.

You're description of Westburg's arm strength sounds very similar to J.J. Hardy's. I don't think J.J had a great arm but he always seemed to have just enough to get the runner.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m still hoping that Westburg stays at SS and one of Norby or Vavra win the second base job..Urias being a super UTI guy.  

One thing I like about the offensive players right now is that we have a good mix of contact/average/OBP guys and power guys.  

They are trending to an offense that can hurt you in a lot of ways, not one that is just one dimensional or heavy reliant on one thing.

This is a really good observation and point. Even with the power hitters, all of them have high OBPs and the ability to take a walk. The previous group of prospects like Hays, Mountcastle and even Santander are all guys with good power potential, but not high OBP abilities. With Cowser, Westburg and even some of the guys on the rest of the list (no particular order) like Donta Williams, Connor Norby, and Terrrin Vavra are all line drive OBP guys who mix in with the power potential guys like Rutschman, Mayo, Henderson, Stowers and Kjerstad.