Pre signing 2022 International Signing Class discussion

Just Regular

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd say that counts as tangible progress.

Thanks for assuming my reply before asking.

Who could blame me if I did assume your reply but I think I asked you a question without putting your answer in that post.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, Tony had the Amparo guy the other day as well as OF Thomas Sosa and another outfielder, can't remember his name.   4 of the top 100 "names to know"?   I guess that's a pretty good stat.

Yes, that sounds like a very competitive class.   Not that we really know. 

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes, that sounds like a very competitive class.   Not that we really know. 

Definitely. Signing 4 out of the top 100 probably puts us in the average-ish range. That’s a huge jump considering we were not only last in MLB but needed ownership approval to sign anyone over 20k.

I want to see if we if we spend all of our 6.2 mm allotted amount. 

On 1/8/2022 at 9:53 AM, Frobby said:

From an article in May shortly after Prieto defected: 

“Veteran hurlers who rely on guile often over stuff or speed lead the Cuban National Series. This manifests in half the squads in the league and many players walking more than they strike out. A comparative rarity in MLB these days. None the less Prieto’s Strike out to walk numbers are impressive. These numbers do need to be viewed in context of the National Series overall though.

“Cuban managers also rely much less on hand on hand matchups and bullpen specialization. Prieto thus faced far fewer left handed hurlers than he might in America. He underperformed slightly in Cienfuegos’ playoff matchup vs Matanzas in the 2021 playoffs. Cocodrilos southpaws such as Yoennis Yera kept him off balance in the short series. Adjusting to these strategies matchups and increased velocities will be key in Prieto’s ascension.”

“César Prieto Leaves Team Cuba and now moves to the top of the International prospect list. He will likely join the group eligible to sign in mid January of 2022. His defection comes soon enough that teams will have money left in their budget to match the dollars he will command. For reference, The Chicago White Sox reportedly have a deal with fellow Cuban Oscar Colas for just over $2 Million. The White Sox will presumably be in on Prieto as well. The Colas, Norge Vera and Yoelqui Céspedes signings in the $1.5 to $2.5 million range set a realistic baseline.”

https://cubadugout.com/2021/05/27/cesar-prieto-leaves-team-cuba/

So, the reports are a bit confusing.   On the one hand it seems he’s been available for 7 months, and was thought to be a $1.5 - 2.5 mm talent.   On the other hand it seems he wasn’t signed until many teams were out of money, so we got him cheap.   

In any event, for me this is the most interesting news of the offseason so far.  

Great info. Well this makes me more bullish on Prieto. I’d rather think that we had more money leftover to sign him than anyone else rather than that he’s Hanser Alberto. 

Also, didn’t we sign an OF Thomas Sosa?  I can’t find @Tony-OH post. I’ve seen it referred to have signed 4/100 int’l players. So I assume he must be a top 100 player. 

Arias on Fangraphs is listed higher than Valera. I noticed it was the other way around on mlbpipeline. 

Urrutia started in AA but was 26. Alvarez was 24 and had a played a couple of games in RK and A ball before playing in AA and then the AFL. I could see Prieto getting a month in Aberdeen then moving quickly to Bowie. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Great info. Well this makes me more bullish on Prieto. I’d rather think that we had more money leftover to sign him than anyone else rather than that he’s Hanser Alberto. 

Also, didn’t we sign an OF Thomas Sosa?  I can’t find @Tony-OH post. I’ve seen it referred to have signed 4/100 int’l players. So I assume he must be a top 100 player. 

Arias on Fangraphs is listed higher than Valera. I noticed it was the other way around on mlbpipeline. 

Urrutia started in AA but was 26. Alvarez was 24 and had a played a couple of games in RK and A ball before playing in AA and then the AFL. I could see Prieto getting a month in Aberdeen then moving quickly to Bowie. 

We should be fortunate if he’s Hanser Alberto. It’s a 750K signing, he may not even see Baltimore. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Why the eye roll.  What he said there was 100% accurate.

While Hanser Alberto is a realistic or better than average outcome I won't consider myself fortunate as an Oriole fan if that's what Prieto winds up being.

14 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I mean we can pretend to live in a make believe world where every prospect hits their 90% projection or we can be honest that this guy might be better than Henry Urutia. 

Nothing wrong with being realistic and honest.  I just wouldn't consider the realistic outcome or even slightly better than that, fortunate.  JMO

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Nothing wrong with being realistic and honest.  I just wouldn't consider the realistic outcome or even slightly better than that, fortunate.  JMO

For that price I would. It’s a small investment and if it generates a plus contact middle IF that’s a win. I don’t see why his power will develop now at 22 but it’s possible. 

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

For that price I would. It’s a small investment and if it generates a plus contact middle IF that’s a win. I don’t see why his power will develop now at 22 but it’s possible. 

I think I heard that he's put on 20+ pounds since he arrived in the states.  No idea if it is good weight or not but it might make a bit of a difference.  Also the MLB superball might make a difference, no idea what type of ball they use in Cuba.

But I don't expect power to be part of his game.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think I heard that he's put on 20+ pounds since he arrived in the states.  No idea if it is good weight or not but it might make a bit of a difference.  Also the MLB superball might make a difference, no idea what type of ball they use in Cuba.

But I don't expect power to be part of his game.

Well, he's 5'8. I dont expect it either. Im thinking more like Eckstein.