Pre signing 2022 International Signing Class discussion

Just Regular

14 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Since the minor leaguers are not members of a union, they have no strike funds to replace their incomes like the MLBPA members do.  And as Corn said, this has never been an issue in the past - as long as the owners don't try to field replacement rosters.

Hope so.  Frankly I'd rather watch Bowie on TV than the Orioles this year ;-).

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Since the minor leaguers are not members of a union, they have no strike funds to replace their incomes like the MLBPA members do.  And as Corn said, this has never been an issue in the past - as long as the owners don't try to field replacement rosters.

If the MLBPA were actually doing anything to help the minor leaguers, maybe there would be some impetus for the minor leaguers to show solidarity.   But as it is, these guys are just trying to scrape by.   

51 minutes ago, connja said:

Hope so.  Frankly I'd rather watch Bowie on TV than the Orioles this year ;-).

Which brings up a question - would a delay in the MLB season present an opportunity for minor league baseball to increase their audience and revenue?  Could minor league owners get together to form an organization that gets tv contracts and advertises, etc?  Or are they controlled by the majors?  Apologies if these questions have already been addressed.   

• Tony-OH changed the title to Pre signing 2022 International Signing Class discussion
2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The general feeling is he should end the year in AA or AAA but where he starts depends on his spring.

Assuming there's a ML ST, I hope we see a lot of him in those games where they bring several guys from the MiL camp. Already seems more interesting than watching Jones and Odor and Martin and the like. 

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, Tony had the Amparo guy the other day as well as OF Thomas Sosa and another outfielder, can't remember his name.   4 of the top 100 "names to know"?   I guess that's a pretty good stat.

Yea but we didn’t spend 4 or 5 million on one guy, so they obviously failed.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You shouldn't.

Back to baseball.  I know it takes a lot for Elias to impress you.   No credit for "perhaps" getting 4 of the top 100 guys and one (arguably) of the top 20 guys, knowing that most of these guys are booked a year in advance?     We may not be top of the pile in Latin America but I'd say that we are on even ground and only time will tell if Perez and his boys have as good or better eye for talent as Toronto, Tampa Bay, NY, etc. down there.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Back to baseball.  I know it takes a lot for Elias to impress you.   No credit for "perhaps" getting 4 of the top 100 guys and one (arguably) of the top 20 guys, knowing that most of these guys are booked a year in advance?     We may not be top of the pile in Latin America but I'd say that we are on even ground and only time will tell if Perez and his boys have as good or better eye for talent as Toronto, Tampa Bay, NY, etc. down there.

I'd say that counts as tangible progress.

Thanks for assuming my reply before asking.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We may not be top of the pile in Latin America but I'd say that we are on even ground and only time will tell if Perez and his boys have as good or better eye for talent as Toronto, Tampa Bay, NY, etc. down there.

I'm not sure what the definition of "even ground" is, but I like where we are.  Vastly improved from years ago.

If you can come across an Acuna, someone who you sign for a 100k but then they turn out to be an elite talent, you are sitting pretty.  To do that, you gotta scratch some lottery tickets which is exactly what Elias is doing.  

I don't know what the success rate is for these guys that are 16, 17 and sign for a few million but, IMO, that's only half the story.  It's all about scooping up as many of these guys as you can and seeing what shakes out.